Hello Guest

Author Topic: I ran into something I've never encountered  (Read 11399 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
I ran into something I've never encountered
« on: August 17, 2015, 08:56:22 PM »
So I bought a tractor and some implements.  Assembled the post hole auger and went to work.

Well, I think I drove the auger too hard.  I was next to some trees and after about a foot I lowered the the point too aggressively and it bit hard into the clay and hit a root, snapping the shear pin (5/16 grade 5 bolt).

So I was left with trying to get a stuck auger out of the ground.  The PTO apparently does not have reverse and I was left trying to unstick it by hand.

I put a big pipe wrench on the auger with a cheater pipe and slowly rotated it backwards for about 30 minutes a few inches at a time until it came free.

Other than easing down on the auger and clearing the hole ever few inches by lifting up on the 3 point, what else could I have done differently?  is there an easier way to unstick an auger?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
Re: I ran into something I've never encountered
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:57:25 PM »

Evidence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:00:22 PM »

It was a 9 inch bit and you can tell it was buried a long way down
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:01:15 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 09:09:40 PM »
Like you said, just a few inches at a time, raising each time to clear the hole, and don't ever go full down with the lever, since most tractors don't power down anyways, it doesn't help any.
I've had that happen, where it just drills into the ground....luckly for me, it was crappy dirt and my tractor could lift it out.

...oh, and lifting the front of tractor with bucket, to raise rear hydros, then lowering the front back down gently might pull the auger out next time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:12:17 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 09:34:39 PM »
Like you said, just a few inches at a time, raising each time to clear the hole, and don't ever go full down with the lever, since most tractors don't power down anyways, it doesn't help any.
I've had that happen, where it just drills into the ground....luckly for me, it was crappy dirt and my tractor could lift it out.

...oh, and lifting the front of tractor with bucket, to raise rear hydros, then lowering the front back down gently might pull the auger out next time.

Oh man, I wish I had known.  My tractor does power on the down stroke of the 3 point so I added insult to injury.  The bucket trick I did not think of.  It may have been a moot point since it was soooo far down but it would have been easier than working every muscle in my body for half an hour.  I was so sore last night that I ate two of my wife's leftover muscle relaxers and passed out sitting in the chair.  Woke up about 2 am and went to the bed and slept like a baby.   

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Tractors are supposed to make life easier for us older guys! haha

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 09:40:40 PM »
I thought that exact thing as I was trying to unstick it and the first time I tried to attach the box blade and get all the connection points to line up.  For making my life easier, it was sure a bear to get these two lessons out of the way.  I think it would have been faster and easier to just use my old post hole digger (the manual one) for just 2 holes.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:08 AM »
The most powerful lift you have is likely to be the 3 point.

Second to that is bucket curl

If the auger is detached, stick the bucket lip under the auger spiral and roll back the bucket. My tractor has 5000-6000 lbs of roll back so it can pop trees out of the ground or get a fat boy off a candy bar quick!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 08:51:36 PM »
Man, you guys amaze me.  Or, I'm amazed at my stupidity.  Not sure which.  Problem with the post hole is it is so far leveraged out from the 3 point it diminishes the power of the 3 point.  BUT, the bucket breakout under the lip of the auger.....I wish I'd have thought of that.  I have a lot of lessons to learn apparently

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:35 PM »
patience RN.  when things happen with implements take a step back, take a knee, drink water and take a look at what is going on.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 10:47:31 PM »
yeah, Nate you are right.  Even so, I don't mind working stupid.  I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 11:31:57 PM »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.

I share this concern, and problem...

And Sig quote, as it really sums up my world...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:51:58 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 12:29:07 AM »
Ain't tractors fun. The problem is you need a bigger one. When you get a bigger one, you will push it's limit and need a bigger one again. That madness never stops so brace yourself.

I'm sure you already have, but pick up a sack full of those spring clips if you haven't already. Don't get the cheap ones on the counter at TSC. Go back by the pins and grab a bunch of those black ones. They stay a lot better. Problem is getting them on without breaking a finger.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
^^^ X2 get the black ones

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 07:07:55 AM »
oh.  I got the zinc plated ones.  Next time I'm in there I'll pick up a few.  I know they are "consumable"

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 09:18:50 AM »
Try putting a "dummy cord" on them.  It will help cut down on the consumption.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »
Try putting a "dummy cord" on them.  It will help cut down on the consumption.
Not with bush hogging, I think. Bush hogging eastern, southern, and mid western forests and fields has the same approximate net result on a tractor from my experience as if you were bush hogging IED laden route Irish in Baghdad!

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 09:42:12 AM »
The leash doesn't totally eliminate loss.  It slows it down.  I have used (read abused) my tractor and bush hog in the same manner as everyone else.  You know, like cutting anything I can make the tractor go over.  I still need spares but don't go through them quite as fast.  550 cord is great.  Holds strong but not too strong.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 12:21:34 PM »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 05:34:29 PM »
I broke a steering spindle off a Case 580 once. Watch a guy out and weld it back on, then I was easier on it. That impatience we all tend to have can cost time and $$$, sometimes a little blood.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »
  550 cord is great.

Truth.

Bought a 1000ft spool.  I've used it for just about everything.

OldKooT

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 11:16:51 AM »
TRN.... Regardless of the effort you actually removed the auger the "correct" way. Meaning the least risky to equipment anyway. That said usually a little rocking movement of the tractor *very gentle* while lifting the three point will often dislodge most.  I break about a dozen sheer pins a week while fencing. And that's with a reversible Auger. My post digger is on a Skid steer, so I am usually able to violently yank it from the ground LoL

But sometimes when using the larger bits I have actually had to dig them out. Can't say about Texas soil but up here drilling holes in the summer is like auguring into concrete.  We just did 2.7 miles last week,lots of holes.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 02:52:04 PM »

We just did 2.7 miles last week,lots of holes.

I think that's more than a lot of holes! And if it was all concrete style dirt that was a lot of work too!
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »
2.7 miles? I'm glad we aren't neighbors (I would be compelled to help :( )

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 07:12:05 PM »
Thanks Norm. That made me feel better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal