Hello Guest

Author Topic: Extra water storage when boondocking  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Extra water storage when boondocking
« on: August 23, 2015, 05:51:02 PM »
I got a different 5er this spring and I quickly found out that the water tank is smaller than what we were use to. Someone had changed it out.  I knew we were going to be boondocking at cave run lake in Kentucky so I needed a extra tank. Even at our local campground we normally go there is no water close by. Its a pain to hook it up and go get water. Getting a barrel was easy but a pump was 80 bucks and Im kinda tight so I came up with this.
Used a 12 volt air compressor Ive had for years. Cost me about 10 bucks for the spigot and the valve stem and reducer. Takes a couple minutes but then have more than enough pressure to push the water into the fresh water tank. I have a long box pickup so there is plenty of room to mount the barrel right behind the cab.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Extra water storage when boondocking
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 05:55:38 PM »
The hard part was the cord on the compressor is too short. I got a trailer plug and hooked it up to the hot wire and ground coming out of the truck and put a power port on the other. Homemade extension cord that just plugs into the trailer plug. I had to have my brother help me with that. I'm color blind and electricity is not my friend. I know its only 2 wires but I don't mess with it.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 09:16:54 PM »
That's really great....like the simple fixes for sure. Thanks for sharing it! Is there anything special about the lid that locks it on or a simple 5 gallon pail with weather stripped lid?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 10:17:34 PM »
That's pretty ingenuous.  Im planning on being at a site next year in CO that is electric only and what will be a good trick to have.

Is that a 30 gallon?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 10:35:10 PM »
Now that is a cool solution.
I invested in a drill pump when we did some boondocking.  This proved to be very slow.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »
We just use siphone/gravity outta a similar barrel from truck bed into RV as filler is lower than truck bed, but cool set-up!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 12:58:45 AM »
Pretty cool idea there Jon.

How big is that barrel?

I have 5 and 7 gallon water jugs, but even those don't last long supplementing the 48 gal fresh tank when camping without hookups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:02:01 AM »
Its a 35 gallon but im going to a 55.  I used the 35 gallon becasue when we unhook the camper at the mother in laws in Ky and went to Tennessee so see my family We can still use the Tonneau cover without unloading everything.  Its Just a regular plastic barrel I got from the dairy farm down the road. They use iodine to clean the teats on the cows before milking. This is what it comes in. I raid their burn hole every few months. Get a pickup load. I have a friend that's wanting to use them for water storage and aquaponics.  Anyway back to the point.

The bungs are threaded with pipe thread. A trip to the plumbing store and I got the spigot and valve stem. I tried the gravity flow. Took for ever and just didn't work well. The filler on our 5er is about the same height as my tail gate. Just make sure the top bung tight after you fill it. Pressure builds slowly and you wont hear a air leak. Then you stand there wondering what the heck is wrong it worked when I tried it at home!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal