Hello Guest

Author Topic: The Remedy Thread  (Read 9865 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The Remedy Thread
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:22:54 PM »
OK Ladies and Gents, here's how this works

You can post up your favorite, tested and proven to work remedy here. This thread is a sticky from its inception so that we can have a quick reference to what I hope is a world of remedies.
No additional comments please. They will be deleted so as to keep the "Reference Library" feel to this thread.
An alternative would be to start a new thread on say "Chicken soup for a cold" and chat it up there. I will cut and paste the actual remedy here to keep this a chat free/information rich thread
Cool?
Well Post em up!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:44:58 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Remedy Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »
Silver coin in milk will keep it fresher, longer

Placing a silver coin into your milk carton will keep it fresh much longer. Silver kills bacteria on contact, it's like nerve gas on the germs. Before the frig and ice box, this was how people keep milk drinkable longer
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:27:54 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »
A little dab of bleach will take the sting out of a bee sting
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:27:28 PM by Flyin6 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »
Canker Sore/Bit Lip - (nasty, light up your life, inside the mouth catch it every time you chew?)

PLAIN WHITE ASPRIN - not coated etc.  Moisten it with tap water and place it on your finger, apply directly to the sore/chomp mark and hold for a few moments - until goodly amount fills depression and remove remainder.  After the initial pain subsides, stops hurting and heals very quickly.  Might take two - three days with a single application each day, or if you can stand it twice daily. Tastes nasty (asprin) but works!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:30:23 PM by Flyin6 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 06:48:18 PM »
I have bad arthritic knees and find Aleve (I use the generic naproxin sodium) works better at relieving the pain than any other analgesic (Ibuprofin, Tylenol or Aspirin). Was recommended to me by a friend when I hurt my back who said it is the only thing he uses for his back pain (construction guy). I tweak my knees a couple of times a year and I take 2 the first day (together) then 1 a day after that for a couple of days. Always works.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:45:50 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 07:56:37 PM »
For those who may have a couple too many beers on occasion. V8 splash fruit juice is the best hang over cure ever.

On that note.

Milk thistle is a pretty good hangover deterrent, take a few capsules a few hours before you start drinking.   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:24:23 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 05:18:45 PM »
Note: I removed a couple of "Chat" posts...Just the remedies pretty please!

CM

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 10:57:12 AM »
Caught a big chunk of glass in the ball of my foot the other night from a broken ornament. it went in about a 1/4" and I knew it was going to be a bad couple days of walking, so I soaked it in an Epsom salt bath. next morning, you could see the cut but it was totally closed and did not hurt a bit. Chalk one up to old school healing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:23:59 PM by Flyin6 »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »
As it is that time of year, and one has already been beaten hard with some Crud, here are what we use in our house.

Eat raw garlic if you can stomach it. Seems to have always killed any bug I might catch, as I never stay sick long.

Equal parts ACV, lemon juice and raw honey with some hot water, helps heal a sore throats and fight the cold.

Eucalyptus oil on the bridge your nose will help clear it....if you have any. Obviously keep it out of your eyes, the fumes are bad enough. But it helps tremendously!

Oregano oil, clove, and black pepper are also great oils at fighting crud, however they are considered hot oils and need to be applied with a carrier such as coconut oil or almond oil. If applied without a carrier, try a small amount on a small area to see how your skin will react to it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:32:04 PM by Flyin6 »

OldKooT

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
My wife the Native American type tends to sneak garlic into almost any meal she can and it not be a problem taste wise. It's got a long standing tradition to be good for us. Great immune system helper.

Another one she uses a lot when she can is Turmeric. She also always makes things with Oysters once a week.

Its fairly impressive how she can "sneak" this stuff in to normal meals and no one notices. But I am thankful she does. 

Editor note: Turmeric is a very good anti inflammatory agent. It is difficult for the body to absorb, and most people in the know seem to recommend you eating about 1000mg a day.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:35:03 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 05:34:42 PM »
So you just pop a clove of garlic?  Is chewing it required? How much do you have to eat to be effective?

Bear chewing makes it easier to swallow because well garlic cloves are bigger than any horse pill you can get from the doc. I usually do one or two, depends on how I'm feeling. If terrible I'll do two several times a day. Has worked thus far.

The magic in garlic is called allicin, this is the compound that boosts our bodies as koot pointed out. It is strongest and bestest raw, but cooked you still get some of the effects. And by the way it sounds koot eats it every day.

Garlic isn't new science really, but rather a re-found effectiveness because people want to stay away from medications.

Also as koot pointed out Turmeric is amazing for our bodies, in so many ways. Strangely enough it can used to aid in whitening teeth, yes wife and I have tested this. One of the big ways we use it is in yellow rice!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:35:39 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 11:42:44 PM »
Sorry gents, but I removed a bunch of chat posts.

If possible, I just want this to read one remedy after another without the thread getting all covered up like everything else around here with conversations and therefore become so diluted as to become useless (See: Any SquareD thread).

So this is difficult to handle well. On one hand I want just a concentration of good remedies here, but in all fairness, most of the questions asked were legitimate, and had merit. Nevertheless, since I'm a hardheaded pilot, Armee pilot at that, I just trashed all that (Hashtag DOT: knife to the heart)

What I'd suggest is to take your question and post it on another thread, one you started and hash out the question there where it could be handled without screwin' up yet another thread!

CM...

DOTs
HillBillies
NCOs
Rednecks
...These are a few of my favorite things! (Not!) (Sound of music)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:47:55 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 12:01:14 PM »
Carbolic Salve for burns

https://www.ebay.com/i/282763763714?chn=ps

Have used it for decades

Great stuff...Just ask the female pilot who accidentally sat on a herman nelson heater. At the time I can't say I didn't want to apply myself, (In an earlier life), but I gave her my tin of it from my med kit in Korea. She came to me a few days later saying her burns were nearly healed up. Couldn't believe this ancient 1800's salve outperformed modern miracle crap.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
The Remedy Thread
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 12:10:10 AM »
This bug stuff works well and doesn’t smell to bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:54:28 PM by Bigdave_185 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal