Hello Guest

Author Topic: Vehicle based solar generator  (Read 2597 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Vehicle based solar generator
« on: September 09, 2015, 01:36:21 PM »
So I've had the idea of doing something along the lines of what Square D has with an auxiliary battery and solar panels.  I'm thinking about taking it to another level though and my reasoning is simple.  My RV has both 12 volt and 110 volt systems, as does all other RVs. I was thinking about a solar system for the RV to be able to run the 12 volt systems off grid continuously.  This would give me lights and as long as I had propane my furnace.  But then I got thinking about the solar generators people advertise which is essentially a battery bank on a dolly with a solar panel. 

Then I got thinking why not incorporate that into the ford.  When I'm sitting next to the camper I can hook it up to the RV battery to charge it either with the panel or with the engine.  So I'm thinking of putting two batteries in the tool box run a solar charge controller and put a 100w panel on the future roof rack.  This would also allow me to run an ARB 12 volt fridge in the truck indefinitely. In a grid down scenario having a portable fridge/freezer would be worth it's weight in gold. I'm dropping super hard hints to my girl that's what I want for Christmas and if I don't get one then I will buy one next year anyway.

I have run into some questions though.

My batteries in the ford are about 1.5 years old. I know when you replace the batteries in the truck you should replace both at the same time  if I add two identical batteries would I need to replace the two in the truck as well?  So they are all the same age?  I plan on running a solenoid to charge the back battery bank from the engine when the ignition is on.   If I should replace all 4 then I wonder if I should skip hooking them to the truck batteries and run them strictly off solar.  I'd rather hook them up so I can have a redundant system for charging but if I didn't hook them up I could use golf cart batteries or some strictly solar batteries.

I think this would be better than a dedicated solar system for the camper because if I ever had to ditch the camper I would have the capability to charge all my small electronics and run the fridge for years without grid power. Or at least until the batteries go out. 

Thoughts?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle based solar generator
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:52:35 PM »
I like the idea.  Not sure about the solenoid to separate.  The newer duramax trucks have battery isolators that you might be able to use for that purpose.  Another trick is what we used to do with very large auto stereo installations.  A very large diode between your set up will keep you from draining your main truck batteries from the secondary batteries.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 05:23:47 AM »
I know enough about this stuff to be (very!) Dangerous.....but I know a lot of folks use a device in their systems that allows charging of the entire system but limits drawdowns to the "backup" battery so they are never stuck without a charged battery to get the vehicle started. I will go check some sites to find the name of what I am thinking about but I want to say it's a "smart charger" or something like that.

I also just read part of a thread at expo portal about a guy who's alternator failed and he was able to run a decent amount of miles off his solar panel charging his battery. Granted it was in the desert and thus I'm sure he had plenty of sun, but still a decent thing to have in an "uh oh" moment. It's in papawheelie's build thread in the fullsize section if you go there. I had never thought about solar panels from a "safety" perspective before (meaning help me get home) so definitely made me see them in a different light.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 07:55:08 AM »
This is what I was thinking of.  Isolators are just a big diode, which allows current to flow one way only.  In this case to your aux battery but not from your main battery.  So if you leave your fridge or what have you on it will only drain your secondary battery and not leave you stranded.

https://www.batterystuff.com/battery-products/switches/Bi303303.html
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 02:28:48 PM »
I know enough about this stuff to be (very!) Dangerous.....but I know a lot of folks use a device in their systems that allows charging of the entire system but limits drawdowns to the "backup" battery so they are never stuck without a charged battery to get the vehicle started. I will go check some sites to find the name of what I am thinking about but I want to say it's a "smart charger" or something like that.

I also just read part of a thread at expo portal about a guy who's alternator failed and he was able to run a decent amount of miles off his solar panel charging his battery. Granted it was in the desert and thus I'm sure he had plenty of sun, but still a decent thing to have in an "uh oh" moment. It's in papawheelie's build thread in the fullsize section if you go there. I had never thought about solar panels from a "safety" perspective before (meaning help me get home) so definitely made me see them in a different light.

Expo Portal is where I got the idea for the solenoid to isolate the batteries.   Do you see any issues with just adding the two batteries to the back without them being the same age as long as they were identical specs?

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 02:43:29 PM »
Don't think so... I think it's normally just a "thing" to replace both truck batteries because the computers are so voltage sensitive. Could be wrong though.

You're basically just copying what is done in motorhomes if i'm hearing right... truck battery is for starting only, but the charging system charges truck and house batteries.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 03:03:28 PM »
Isolators are easier. 3 posts....one wire from the charging system, and the other posts go to the batteries. They last a long time as well. Solenoids, not so much.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 02:47:55 AM »
We talked about some of this before. I am getting into solar pretty well right now. Just did a 4k system on the house (via dealer) and am adding another 2500-4000 myself with a friend who is a DIY dealer.

I got two 12v panels (poly) for my trailer. They put out 6 amps each, so you have a 12 amps charger under good conditions.

What I have been eyeing is the newer flexible panels. They are amorphis (?) I beleive which are kinda a hybrid between Mono and Poly.

Personally I think it is great idea, but if there ever was an EMP the controller would cook, panels and batteries will be fine. They are cheap on emay, store couple in emp proof containers JIC.

I am using one panel now keeping the 1500 burb charged and plan on building a portable generator with two 6v AGMs I was given.

Matching your batteries is a must, listen to the guys and the golf cart batteries are about the best you can do for a system. They don't like shaking, but like to be cycled.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:50:13 AM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »
On batteries, I learned something about heavy equipment batteries

They are about the same chemically and have the same plates as automotive batteries.

However

The plates are epoxied to the case at the bottom and the top

So that jarring about won't cause two plates to touch, thus shorting out the operation.

FYI
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 02:44:33 AM »
Sounds like they are built similar to the optimas, but a wet cell. Nothing is wrong with wet cells at all. Just don't let em go dry.

They also last longer than most others, even AGMs. AGMs are great for safety and no maint.  but don't have the life of a wet cell.

For solar I would look at 6v cat type cells, forklift battery or a group 31 battery. Our trucks and most large vehicles use a group 24. The 24 normally has around a 90ah reserve, the 31 has a 180 or better. Then the 6v cart has a 240 or so, but you need two.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal