Hello Guest

Author Topic: Lets help TRN with a smoker build  (Read 7301 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Lets help TRN with a smoker build
« on: September 15, 2015, 02:25:11 PM »
RN, what exactly are you wanting to get out of a smoker/cooker/grill/whatever you want to call it? 

what is the RN family vision for said piece of equipment?

what kind of fuel are you wanting to use?

etc?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:36:52 AM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Lets help texas red neck
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »
building or buying?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 05:40:46 PM »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 06:12:46 PM »
You sure? I didn't see a jacuzzi. rofl
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 06:21:16 PM »
i was being serious on trying to assist with the best possible design for casa redneck hideaway.

that is a nice trailer though
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 06:41:49 PM »
Nate, we've dotted some stuff here and there...I doubt if anyone will take us serious, especially someone as disfigured as Neck, I mean, what kind of nickname is that anyways?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
hey now, I have DOT'ed everybody else's stuff but I have never DOT'ed my threads?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 08:33:14 PM »
Really. Wow, that's amazing......and almost true. :rollseyes

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 10:00:50 PM »
I have a flat top and a charcoal pit.  I want to smoke and I want to build it myself just because....that's what we do, right?

I know very little so I'm struggling a bit.

Its easy for me to go overboard and want to build something that holds 40 briskets, but I'm trying to keep it simple and small enough to use frequently.

I believe I want a reverse flow.  Otherwise I'd have to spend a lot of time tuning plates to keep the heat even across the pit??

I like the warming box on some of the other pits, but I can always go back and add that on later or build another.

So that leaves me with 26 inch pipe, 48 inch cooking chamber with a 18-20 inch firebox out of the same 26 inch pipe.

Probably not put it on a trailer, but put some nice wheels on it so I can get it on my utility trailer when I need it to be mobile.

So for a beginning, I'd probably like it to be 2 racks 48 inch cooking chamber, reverse flow with a set of large tires, inflatable, like golf cart size with a small tongue perhaps so I can move it around with the tractor.

What do you think Grand Master Ninja?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Lets help texas red neck
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 10:38:37 PM »
I have a flat top and a charcoal pit.  I want to smoke and I want to build it myself just because....that's what we do, right?

I know very little so I'm struggling a bit.

Its easy for me to go overboard and want to build something that holds 40 briskets, but I'm trying to keep it simple and small enough to use frequently.

I believe I want a reverse flow.  Otherwise I'd have to spend a lot of time tuning plates to keep the heat even across the pit??

I like the warming box on some of the other pits, but I can always go back and add that on later or build another.

So that leaves me with 26 inch pipe, 48 inch cooking chamber with a 18-20 inch firebox out of the same 26 inch pipe.

Probably not put it on a trailer, but put some nice wheels on it so I can get it on my utility trailer when I need it to be mobile.

So for a beginning, I'd probably like it to be 2 racks 48 inch cooking chamber, reverse flow with a set of large tires, inflatable, like golf cart size with a small tongue perhaps so I can move it around with the tractor.

What do you think Grand Master Ninja?

Well, I'll chime in too! Do a reverse flow... That's a given.

If I were building, I'd also do a water pan on top of your reverse flow plate with a big ball valve to drain. Some of the competitors use water systems to help regulate heat spikes and troughs, and also to lend moisture. Some don't use it, but it's easy to build when you're starting from scratch. Always good to have tools in the toolbox to use when experimenting on your out ;)

Look into DigiQ also...

Fwiw, I'm a comp bbq judge. Got the cert to learn how to cook better ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:46:36 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lets help texas red neck
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »
Yo Dawg, no one said Nate was bbq ninja. He's Army ninja. Says so himself.

I've seen the grease drain. How would. Water pan be incorporated? Location and materials.?

How do you pull a gig like comp bbq judge?  That's like a dream job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:39:26 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 10:57:07 PM »
Yo Dawg, no one said Nate was bbq ninja. He's Army ninja. Says so himself.

I've seen the grease drain. How would. Water pan be incorporated? Location and materials.?

How do you pull a gig like comp bow judge?  That's like a dream job

Ha I edited my post... Misread. Also added some more details on the pan too.

Works like this essentially... You have a plate across the bottom to get the smoke from the fire box to the opposite side. You just put a lip on the end opposite the firebox so that the plate can hold water... And then put in a big ole drain and valve in one corner so you can drain it.

Pretty sure Myron Mixon uses a water system... Could be wrong tho.

I got certified with PNWBA a while back when I was cooking a lot... Basically just volunteered. KCBS is the big one

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 11:00:41 PM »
Like-a dis

NRA Life Member

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 11:34:06 PM »
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

I used this calculator to build my reverse flow a couple years ago. It works great. I also did the water pan exactly like Dawg described! It's simple and works great. I have seen some over complicated drains with creased reverse flow plate to make valley with drain in the middle. My plate is flat, 2" flat bar on the end to make it a pan, cut hole in back corner opposite firebox, weld 1" 90 over the hole, and install valve. Mine is 30" OD with 2 48" wide racks. The bottom rack is 29" deep and the top one is 24" deep. That's pretty big just for the family. I had 5 briskets, 6 butts, 3 big foil pans of beans, 10 chicken quarters, and 100 ears of corn in mine a few months ago. That was stuffed, but gives you an idea of volume. Your planned one will not be much smaller. It was a lot of fun to build, and it will help answer any questions if I can.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 07:44:12 AM »
Sweet!!  Thanks guys. Rasimmo that's the calculator I was using so im glad someone else used it before. So for cleaning out would I also add a drawing to the bottom under the water pan just to be safe

Also, how far below the rack should the baffle/water pan sit? 

And does the stack extend down into the pit a bit like the illustration or do you want it just inside enough to weld so that heat doesn't get trapped and thus allows your damper to do all the adjusting?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:48:50 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Lets help TRN with a smoker build
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 10:01:37 AM »
a couple questions / recommendations ...........

have you thought about or looked at pellet models or cabinet models?

have you thought about the time that you are going to "HAVE" to spend attending to the fuel needs of a stick burner and not doing other things?

if you are wanting a stick burner, is there plenty of wood available in the area to fill the fuel needs of said stick burner?  because there are many woods that do not work for smoking/cooking foods.

I am not a stick burner owner like rassimo and farmer jon, I have a pellet cooker like kyle........?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:03:16 AM by nmeyer414 »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »
I volunteer my services as taste tester of the BBQ, whenever you get it done.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 01:08:08 PM »
a couple questions / recommendations ...........

have you thought about or looked at pellet models or cabinet models?

have you thought about the time that you are going to "HAVE" to spend attending to the fuel needs of a stick burner and not doing other things?

if you are wanting a stick burner, is there plenty of wood available in the area to fill the fuel needs of said stick burner?  because there are many woods that do not work for smoking/cooking foods.

I am not a stick burner owner like rassimo and farmer jon, I have a pellet cooker like kyle........?

I have a small pellet burner... super easy and enjoyable for dinners, small cooks, etc. I do want a big wood burner too, for bigger scale cooking... tailgates, parties, events, etc. (Personally, I want a Lang: http://www.langbbqsmokers.com/lang36/lang36_stretch-deluxe.html)

As for tending a wood burner... that's why i suggested looking into DigiQ. Basically it's an electronic thermostat that regulates heat via a damper/blower. It'll kill air when you're too hot, and actually force air when you need heat, a la a forge.
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 08:52:44 PM »
I volunteer my services as taste tester of the BBQ, whenever you get it done.

Your hired, Bobby.

I was at dinner with a business associate and his son just got his Ranger tab recently.  Talk about a proud papa!

I know, I will get lazy and want to go automated, but I think doing it old school, building it myself and managing the temps woudl be cool.  It will be when I am unplugged at the weekend place and a great excuse to stay up late and sip old No7

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 09:56:23 PM »
My plate is 4.5" below the bottom rack I believe.

As for tending the wood burner, ain't that half the fun of it. Mine runs close to 225 feeding it one 16" long split every hour or so. I have several smokers, pretty much every different heat source. You can't beat the flavor of using the stick burner. None of the others come close. I do use a Maverick digital thermometer. I set the alarm on the cook chamber probe at 210 in case I dose off. The wireless receiver in my shirt pocket wakes me up.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 12:05:30 AM »

My plate is 4.5" below the bottom rack I believe.

As for tending the wood burner, ain't that half the fun of it. Mine runs close to 225 feeding it one 16" long split every hour or so. I have several smokers, pretty much every different heat source. You can't beat the flavor of using the stick burner. None of the others come close. I do use a Maverick digital thermometer. I set the alarm on the cook chamber probe at 210 in case I dose off. The wireless receiver in my shirt pocket wakes me up.

I also run a Maverick, the ET-73 if I recall. Best I've ever had.

And the Thermapen for instant read ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Life Member

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 05:30:38 AM »
Pipe is expensive. Use water heater tanks. This a project I started on a rainy day a month ago. Probably wont get finished until after harvest. 18 inch pipe was 20 bucks a foot. Old water heaters were free.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »
I thought this may assit in both of your builds..........

http://www.tejassmokers.com/

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 08:30:44 PM »
Good find Nate.  I didnt realize they sold parts.  They are not far from me.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 08:40:30 PM »
guess you can go to the actual store and touchy all the parts and see what will actually work without having to order and send back.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 09:12:17 PM »
yep.  Saves time and money

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal