Hello Guest

Author Topic: canning/preserving links  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
canning/preserving links
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »
here are a few canning/preserving links for people to peruse.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=canning

also here are a few videos for beginners.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=canning+for+beginners

I found this website the other day and felt it was very informative and beneficial, especially since it has instruction programs for people to learn from or to use as a basis for teaching canning/preserving.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:44:39 AM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: links
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:39:25 AM »
Nate,

I think I am settling on the pressure canner as opposed to the boiling water canner

So please feel free to comment on this point.

Reason: Pressure unit gets a 100% bacteria kill, whereas the boiling water unit should kill 100%, but can miss...

So given that, the price jumps way up.

I like the two units I'm showing here. The smaller is a 24 quart and the larger is a 30 quart unit.

The smaller unit can cook up 7 quart jars at a time whereas the larger can do double that I think (Two levels of jars)

I'm planning on using the Ball brand jars and I think I'll be using the wide mouth ones...selling for like $22 for 16 jars minus lids and rings...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:27:26 PM »
ok, since i have a few minutes here at work i will get to a few answers. 

don, those 2 pots are basically the cadilacs of pressure canning pots and yes they are extremely expensive.  i have 2 pots like the one pictured below.  you can get them at walmart for like $80 and you can order a reserve gasket and plug as well from the company that makes the pot for a pretty cheap amount.

here is a quick google search for pressure canners.  https://www.google.com/#q=pressure+canners

the presto pots are good quality and can be used for years on end with proper care and maint.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »
Don, the unit that Nate shows is a very nice set up. You can also water bath with them for the fruits and other high acid stuff like tomatoes. Having a spare gasket and pop off is a good thing. Harder to find during canning season when you need to change one, and you will need to replace them once in a while. 

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 09:39:14 AM »
Hmmm...
Well, I'll take off and check them out, both of them, but I like the idea of getting something that won't fail (no gasket) and I'll be able to pass down to the pre-rangers.

But $80 something vs $225ish makes for a lot of jars and lids!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:56:27 AM »
I ordered another gasket and the relief valve and I think that it was like $5-10.  The gasket and relief valve will remain good for years as long as you lube them like the inst tell you.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »
I ordered another gasket and the relief valve and I think that it was like $5-10.  The gasket and relief valve will remain good for years as long as you lube them like the inst tell you.

If you don't have the spare, the gasket will leak and need to be replaced. Anyway that is how it works for me most of the time. Better to have and not need right?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »
very true

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: canning/preserving links
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 08:46:03 AM »
updated with a new link in the first post

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal