VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Bikes Motorcycles, S x S's, Tractors, and Mowers

WR450F Scout Build Thread

(1/32) > >>

stlaser:
OK, first I must apologize for the lack of participation on this board. Don will probably want to ban me a few times consecutively for my lack of DOTness aimed at him here lately. Anyhow I'll try to make this a short story and then get on to the build thread.

As most of you know I owned Great Lake Off Road which I sold in Jan. Then had a couple equipment auctions and finally sold my home / shop in Indiana as well. I resigned from my day job as GM for a large steel company after sixteen years and followed my wife along with our three girls to Colorado where she landed a job. First major move in our family ever, the wife and I needed a change of scenery. I wanted less to do and decided for a number of reasons early 2015 was as good a time as any to cash some chips in and try our luck somewhere else. There are times in life when a number of circumstances all converge that you need to step back take a deep breath and look at what is most important. In a nut shell this is what happened to us. I believe for whatever reason we were meant to be in Colorado, definitely not my first choice due to their communist gun laws but it seems to have played out well so far.

So on to the build thread, I will be building a 2015 Yamaha WR450F. For those of you not familiar the WR450F is basically a WR250 frame with a 450 motor sandwiched in to it. Its an agile trail riding machine that has the power and reliability to be very capable with a few tweaks here and there. As we speak it is being converted to DOT compliance making it road worthy. I am not doing it but letting professionals do this as it was part of the negotiation for purchase. Here in CO to be road worthy it needs a few things such as DOT approved tires, brake light, mirror and horn. Probably a couple things I left off but you get the idea.

If there is one big downside potential to this build it would be that it is fuel injected, great for the elevation changes here in CO but not so good against an EMP threat. My thought was if an EMP hits locally we have a lot of problems besides a bike that won't run & I still have my walking boots I guess.

cudakidd53:
It's a build thread.......it will never be DOT proof........OH that was approved!! Now I get it! ;D

Glad to have you back Shawn, and glad you're all feeling you're in the right place!  Learn from Don and don't go the sticker route for fenders etc!

Welcome back to RealMan, we've missed you!

Sammconn:
Hey Shawn, looking forward to this.

Lots of changes in your life this year. Good luck!

Flyin6:
Anybody ever heard of this guy before I ban him again?

I once knew a Shawn...even made him a moderator here...Then he left the building and has never been heard from since!

Shawn, welcome back!

Have anything to complain about before you get in going here? :)

stlaser:
Never heard of him, ban him already............. ;D

--- Quote from: Flyin6 on October 15, 2015, 08:45:53 PM ---Anybody ever heard of this guy before I ban him again?

I once knew a Shawn...even made him a moderator here...Then he left the building and has never been heard from since!

Shawn, welcome back!

Have anything to complain about before you get in going here? :)

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version