Hello Guest

Author Topic: Got my John Deere finally  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Got my John Deere finally
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:02:28 AM »
Brought this home Sunday. It was my Grand pa's. 53 John Deere 60 all fuel. My uncle had it. He abused and neglected it. If I wasn't so happy to have it home I would have been pissed. Still it was disappointing in how he kept it up. To him this is all old junk. Carb was gummed up from sitting. Thats no biggie. Its when I found out it was over a gallon low on oil that got me. I haven't had time to go over everything yet. If grandpa seen the shape it was in he would be mad as hell. I know how particular he was with his equipment.
The loader is a New Idea brand. I have all of it its not on in the pic.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:33:55 PM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Got my John Deere finally
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:33:31 AM »
Nice rig Jon.  Gonna do a full resto or just a minor one?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 08:57:42 AM »
Maybe follow the example of some and just do "an oil change."
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »
Cool machine!

My neighbor who's property adjoins mine on the back side is into tractor restoration. About once a month they all meet over at his place. I'd say 30-40 old relics, all perfectly restored. They drive through our neighborhood in parade form. It's really cool. Neighbor with an old FarmAll actually uses it to plow, plant and harvest with for his small fields.

Gotta love these old classics. but with that front wheel arrangement, that thing would not be KY friendly (Hills/slopes)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 10:19:54 AM »
I like it! ..but it does bring back bad memories, when I was running an old spray rig in the dead of summer.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 01:16:22 PM »
Looks like fun.  I will be following along trying to learn something.  My father in law has something similar that we keep saying we should dig out of the barn and restore.  I think his is a model A or B.  But probably very similar, narrow front, etc.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 06:18:10 PM »
Looks like fun.  I will be following along trying to learn something.  My father in law has something similar that we keep saying we should dig out of the barn and restore.  I think his is a model A or B.  But probably very similar, narrow front, etc.
I think I just did that to an old track loader

Was a fun project...well, is a fun project!

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 07:18:09 PM »
Nothing like Grandpa's tractor. Have fun with that one. I have a 1964 David Brown that one of mine bought when it was 2 years old. I plan to restore it soon. I think of him every time I run his tractor. The first tractor I ever rode on was a MF 135 that my other grandpa bought new and sold several years ago. I have been trying to buy it back with no luck so far.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 09:20:53 PM »
The raditor has a leak so I'm going to fix that. Check the bearings in the front end. One wheel looked like it was wobbling a little. Other than that I'm just going to clean her up and change all the fluids. The rear end oil never gets changed and is usually pretty nasty. Might paint it later on. Depends on how it looks when I clean it up. One thing for sure I don't have to worry about scratching it.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 09:17:53 AM »
Restoring old tractors is good fun, hard on wallet and like pulling hundreds of dollars out of your pocket and setting them on fire.

I restored an Allis C to wide front and electric start 13 years ago and then I bought a WD45 and used it to log a woods. What an experience, makes you have a lot of respect for the guys who farmed with these machines.

I was 19 years old when my grandpa passed away, I happened to be living with him and my grandmother on their farm at the time. I took over farm upkeep on a WD45 and it gave me a whole new respect for those machines. I recall mowing one day and after getting beat on it came in sat down and fell promptly asleep. Once I woke up my grandmother all 5'3" and 120# told me how she used to plow the fields with that tractor in the spring to help my grandpa out.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »
Gotta love these old classics. but with that front wheel arrangement, that thing would not be KY friendly (Hills/slopes)

Very nice! I am sure it will last a good while properly taken care of. I will echo Dons comment about hills. All my uncles in ME had a version of these but also had so many stories of folks tipping them and getting hurt or worse. They were happy when the outstretched front wheel versions came out. They can be dangerous.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »
The wide fronts tip just as easy. Gotta be careful. We have steep hills here too but not like in Ky or Maine.  Never know this thing just might end up in Ky in 20 years. Going to retire there at least for part of the year. In gona need some toys to play with. I've got my eye on a farm in Lee county.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 04:34:12 PM »
The wide fronts tip just as easy. Gotta be careful. We have steep hills here too but not like in Ky or Maine.  Never know this thing just might end up in Ky in 20 years. Going to retire there at least for part of the year. In gona need some toys to play with. I've got my eye on a farm in Lee county.
Come on down...plenty of room

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal