Hello Guest

Author Topic: Building my First AR15  (Read 56974 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Building my First AR15
« on: November 22, 2015, 11:42:55 AM »

First off all tips and advise is greatly appreciated.  Today I am looking for parts to purchase, I have a neighbor/good friend who has built one or two and is going to help my with on line purchases today

I think I want list.
A longer barrel 18-20 inch long.
An adjustable stock.
Gas system.
Free flowing hand guard. With multiple attachment points.
Fold down out of the way peep sites.
A decent scope with good ol crosshairs

I will add to ^^^^^ as I see more things I like possibly add photos as I go

Things I think are Cool on the wish list.

Seen a drop down hidden bi pod from the fore grip  that looked sweet,
A forward operated light with a on off switch by the pistol grip.

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Building my First AR15
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 12:33:27 PM »
Sweet!

Ok, here are my go to places for builder parts

www.aimsurplus.com

www.brownells.com

www.jsesurplus.com

Also and I know there are many opinions on here but I wouldn't build over an 18" also make sure it has M4 feed ramps
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:34:52 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 12:43:36 PM »
start with something very simple! 

start with a fixed iron front sight post and a collapasble rear, do the following

once you have it built and have run 3-4k worth of rounds thru it (read: PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!)

then go for add on's!  (this is where you could go for some sort of optics, but not really recommended from me until this step?!)

(bipods are useless/added weight unless you are an accomplished long range marksman and plan to do nothing but sniper stuff ?  just my opinion.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:46:33 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 12:46:45 PM »

First off all tips and advise is greatly appreciated.  Today I am looking for parts to purchase, I have a neighbor/good friend who has built one or two and is going to help my with on line purchases today

I think I want list.
A longer barrel 18-20 inch long.
An adjustable stock.
Gas system.
Free flowing hand guard. With multiple attachment points.
Fold down out of the way peep sites.
A decent scope with good ol crosshairs

Seen a drop down hidden bi pod from the fore grip  that looked sweet,
A forward operated light with a on off switch by the pistol grip.

Why'd you land on a 18-20" barrel?

Stocks are stupid easy to find, the hard part will be finding on you like. If you have a Cabela's or Gander Mountain around you go check them out before you buy online. Since they are having their pre-Black Friday sales.

By gas system I assume you mean direct impingement? The gas tube is another part you can more than likely find at a local gun shop or one of the bigger sporting goods retailers that sell AR related stuff. Piston driven are heavier up front, and you can't swap parts between rifles and the piston parts aren't cheap and easy to find at most gun shops,at least that I've noticed.

Before you buy a quad rail, think about what you are actually wanting to hang on the front of it. Look at rails like :

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2469

Obviously you can find all kinds of different options, lengths, colors. But a rail similar to that will be lighter than a full quad rail, and you can place the rail sections where you need them, which will save weight. You probably won't even come close to using all the rail space on a full quad.

For flip sights, there are a lot of options out there. I happen to like the Troy flip up sight, sure they are a bit pricier than the MagPul ones, but I don't like plastic sights. I also like the tritium option they have on some of their flip ups. Although I recommend a fixed front sight for simplicity's sake, plus you can find the carrying handle for cheap on occasion as well.

For scopes, what kind of power levels you looking for? 1-4x, 1.5-6, 3-9x? Vortex and Nikon are nice options, though again there are a lot of different options.

Pistol grip bipod.... My opinion, if you want a pistol grip get a regular pistol grip, you want a bipod get a bipod. I've used those that you mentioned when I was in the Army, I hated it with the passion of a thousand suns.

For a light, the Inforce WMLx is a good buy at 154ish, might find it less in places.
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1308

If you don't need/want the 500 lumens:
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1165

Surefire is also a very good, if not the most recommended option, albeit they tend to get pricey, unless you don't mind snagging a used one. Higher Caliber can talk more about those as he has one or more and can give you a good review on it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:50:09 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 12:57:02 PM »
start with something very simple! 

start with a fixed iron front sight post and a collapasble rear, do the following

once you have it built and have run 3-4k worth of rounds thru it (read: PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!)

then go for add on's!  (this is where you could go for some sort of optics, but not really recommended from me until this step?!)

I also agree with this.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building my First AR15
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
Those are long responses. I'll do my best to respond to all.

Length of rifle was to keep it balanced and was just a thought.  I also think it would be interesting for me to see how accurate I can shoot with it long range ( I know this is not the weapon of choice for that but I find it appealing) I will amend my thoughts on length to 16 only per your far better experience. 

The drop down bipod seemed handy for cleaning and setting the gun down as I do not have a vise or a gun stand to place it in (Yet).

I don't know if at yet I will be buying a surefire light do to budget.

I have thoughts of getting the rockriver lower but more choices to come this eve

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:07:13 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 01:39:32 PM »
Links to rock river lower?

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »
A 16" barrel is a good starting point.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »

Has my vote, only 18" I ever built was for pig shooting. Normally try for 16" or 14.5 w/ extended flash hider pinned & welded

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 02:00:24 PM »

What are some of the things you have found you personally like or do to Iike about certain stocks.   I do have a cabelas with in a hour drive but that time is still limited with the kids

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »
I run magpul for stocks normally, one of the girls wanted a really lightweight gun & I used a mft minimalist & it was surprisingly solid....

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 02:14:36 PM »
What are some of the things you have found you personally like or do to Iike about certain stocks.   I do have a cabelas with in a hour drive but that time is still limited with the kids

I personally like the stocks with minimal stuff on them. That's why I'd check around before you settle on one stock you like. See if your neighbor who's built a couple before will let you try his stocks out, or if he knows someone else who'd let you see one of theirs.

https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-carbine-stock-mil-spec

http://missionfirsttactical.com/Products/Rifle-Stocks/BATTLELINK-Utility-Stock_6

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »
one of the girls wanted a really lightweight gun & I used a mft minimalist & it was surprisingly solid....

I have never seen/used one. But heard good things about them.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:17:55 PM by BobbyB »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 02:20:57 PM »
Dave I posted this awhile ago, check it out. You can "build" your own rifle and see if the final product is something you want. If not start all over.

http://www.ar15builder.com/

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 02:26:31 PM »
Oh man I like this^^^^

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »
Oh man I like this^^^^

Best part... it's free.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 06:20:42 PM »
Links to rock river lower?
I'm building a Rock River lower based gun at this very moment!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 06:55:31 PM »
Academy is another place to check out som Magpul stocks. At least around me it is. They seem to be everywhere.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Building my First AR15
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 08:04:05 PM »
I'll be the contrarian.   14.5 and 16 inch barrels are a compromise for maneuverability.   Changing barrels or building another upper is not all that hard later if you change your mind. Ammo is advertised as fps,  as in the NATO SS 109 specs are 3100 or 3120 IIRC but out of a 20 inch barrel. Each inch you cut it shorter means you lose velocity. About 50fps per inch. Add to that the fact that the basic AR round was designed to tumble or yaw after entering. That tumbling is what makes it lethal as it tumbles it breaks apart creating multiple wound channels. That only happens reliably over 2600 fps. So operators found that many times at longer distances ( like 300-400 meters) those rounds were just going right through hajis like an ice pick without inflicting the needed damage because the velocity was less than it would have been out of a 20 inch barrel. Thus the 62 and  69 grain rounds. However those are not as plentiful and cheap as the 55 gr.

So for an AR like my 10.5 inch, the bad guy needs to be within about 100 yards to reliably fragment.
For what you want, build a 20 inch upper. You can always build a 16 inch upper later to have the ability to swap uppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:08:04 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 08:52:37 PM »
^^^ All of that is a great argument for why I like an AK-47 inside 250 meters and a .308 for just about any range. One third of an inch is going to be destructive if it just drills a hole or blows up on impact!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
I believe you stated somewhere that you don't have any experience with a weapon such as this. For that reason I would not recommend building your first one. A lot of guys here could throw one together blindfolded with spare parts thrown in a box at the bottom of their safe. For folks like that not much thought has to go into it. It really is easy if you know where everything belongs and how it goes together. For someone like yourself, I would recommend purchasing a cheaper model to learn the weapon system and see what you like or dislike. It's common to over build or over accessorize these things. Simple and functional is better to learn with. I would recommend something like the M&P sport in the link below. I know several guys who own this gun who haven't had any issues with it. It gets criticized a little for not having the forward assist or dust cover. I believe in your's and most other's situations that is not an issue. It was removed to save cost and lower price for an entry level weapon. When you run a few thousand rounds through it you can sell it for $500 and finish building what you want with the parts you have been picking up along the way when you found a deal. I understand the gratification of knowing you built it plays into this also. I think most here are the same way. It will be real hard to build one for below the price of this though.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/smith--wesson-model-mp15-sport8482%3B-556mm-nato-semiautomatic-rifle?repChildCatid=733516
I am not endorsing this store or saying this is the cheapest it can be purchased. It was just the easiest to find and link.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »
What's  the thoughts on stag arms.   Looking at a 18 upper stainless

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Stag is quality, for the record I own several colts which if I had to do over with a knowledge base such as this at my disposal I would not own the colts. I do agree to build a basic $500 ar for your first one. It can be done as a couple guys who used to work for me did just that. They found deals & bought parts over several paychecks. They ended up with a relatively inexpensive high quality first build. The added benefit is that they can strip it down & fully understand how it functions from the get go. I would not buy the m&p for $400 imo.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
So looking at a few things at the moment.  A rr 18stsinkess complete kit

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 09:48:57 PM »
I started with a base model Rock River and have modded to liking from there. LPK is good, many people buy them for their stripped lowers.

Not a fan of those MFT stocks... Personal preference though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2015, 10:47:58 PM »
Any of the ARs will be fine for your first.  You'd be hard pressed to find one that is NOT built to mil spec. Just remember to stake the gas key bolts and the buffer tube nut.  Don't go overboard on accessories until you live with it for a while.  And get a GO/NO GO gauge set to make sure the headspace is GTG if you build your own.

If you buy the tools to build your first you get to make it and learn from it all for the same price as buying one.  I've seen your handiwork.  You'll be fine building one, just read. watch YouTube and get the tools you need.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 01:21:10 AM »
This is the find guys. Let me know what you think.
Plus a lower parts trigger kit.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 08:25:07 AM »
Ok, since you are buying an upper and not assembling from scratch it will be MUCH easier.  If you get a complete upper with bolt and carrier you can skip the GO/NO GO gauge (although they are good tools to have as the wrong headspace can make a gun into a grenade)

The one tool you will really want to have is set of roll pin punches.  The little teet in the middle keeps the punch centered so you don't booger up the finish if the punch slips.

I small plastic faced mallet or brass mallet and a plastic punch block helps to.

Looks good, keep us posted.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2015, 08:47:30 AM »
I've had issue with bcg's in past. Before I buy one now I always research quality, see what other people have to say etc.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2015, 11:57:11 AM »
What is a bcg

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 12:21:11 PM »
bolt carrier group.  That's the carrier that moves back and forth and holds (or carries) the bolt.  Buying them matched to the barrel extension already makes it an easier build

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building my First AR15
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »
The acronyms will catch up to me.  One day
From what i read about it, it should match.   I found this today at work if you all want to help me out with a go found me account http://www.primaryarms.com/rock-river-arms-a4-20-varmint-complete-upper-half/p/rraar0550/
I can't quite pull this with the wife
Except it is the .223 waylde which is lame from what I know.  I want to be in the 5.56

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:22:53 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 07:40:41 PM »
I've had my eye on their R3 comp upper for awhile...

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=569&CFID=527482933&CFTOKEN=62792630

RRA makes good muzzle brakes too... I'm running a RRA barrell, upper, BCG, and and their RRA Tactical brake on my AR at the moment.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2015, 09:04:01 PM »
For that money I'd built an upper with this
https://kriegerbarrels.com/products#ar15

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 09:22:44 PM »
Then I would have to mess with putting together a gas chamber and making it not leak.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
Can some one explain what the wayled barrels are and what it means

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2015, 10:15:45 PM »
Then I would have to mess with putting together a gas chamber and making it not leak.

It's not hard & they all leak to some extent. It's kinda like directing water, it moves in the path of least resistance.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2015, 10:21:27 PM »
Dang Tex for posting that link. I'm kind of partial to Colt :

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_140/products_id/2678
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2015, 10:24:12 PM »
Can some one explain what the wayled barrels are and what it means

I assume you mean wylde? From what I read it's a pia, stick to 5.56 then you can run .223 as well. I've been told you can run "most" 5.56 ammo thru the wylde chambers however it does not like tracers in that caliber or any polycoated ammo such as steel case wolf etc. if you were hand loading everything I guess it wouldn't matter as much. Myself I build rifles to run whatever I may come across in a bad event situation. I highly doubt you will ever come across hand load wylde cartridges in such an event.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2015, 11:00:40 PM »
Dang, out of town for a Cabeleas sale and I miss this!! Reading through most of what other said here, here is my .02.

Buying a built upper is the way to go. Got my last upper from Ares Armour in 223 Wylde for $400, now $550 which is still a good deal. I have not shot the wylde chambered gun yet so can't say if finicky or not.  I just got a 20 inch SS Barrel in 223 wylde for another build.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/match_complete_upper FF HG, M16 BCG and charging handle.

You can't go wrong with 556 and some testing shows the 16in barrel is just as accurate as a longer barrel.

Now from Midway, you can get a complete assm for around $500 and lowers are around for well under $50 again.

I like the magpul MOE grips as it will raise your finger to be in line with the trigger vs a stock grip. Have a couple of their front MOE hand guards (HG) too which has a nice feel, but no stock rails.

Another nice option is the AR platform will shoot a 7.62 also, with just a barrel change called the 300 blackout or 300AAC. ( I have a carbine and pistol in this) eve uses the same mags.

On Mags, I like magpul again having many 30's, a couple 40's and 10's for CA. For rest shooting you need the 20 round or less or the mag hangs to low.

This is one I built for a friend, 20 barrel, MOE Grip/Stock, quad HG

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:03:29 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 01:35:07 PM »
Black Friday deals at Palmetto state.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Building my First AR15
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
Well fellas. Due to some $ disagreements this thread may be getting put on hold.   

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:22:22 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 02:56:23 PM »
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/221905/ar-stoner-ar-15-a3-upper-receiver-assembly-556x45mm-nato-16-barrel

Under $300 would be great just for a spare!

Stoner is midways proprietary line, same as the bcg I had from them that was junk. It was out of tolerance & midway knew this but kept selling them anyhow to people like me.  I'd stay away from them.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
Well fellas. Due to some $ disagreements this thread may be getting out on hold.   

That happens. When you get the nod, we'll still be around.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 03:37:34 PM »
Just got this in for my AR build. Magpul MOE Rifle stock. Has the end cap, non adjustable can use their check pads and was only $60 after deals.

Guess I should build mine now,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal