Hello Guest

Author Topic: Compressed Air Piping in Shop  (Read 2780 times)

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
Compressed Air Piping in Shop
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:10:31 PM »
Has anyone used this product before?  The piping and outlets are available as stand alone parts or as a preconfigured kit at northern tool.  I picked up one of their regulator / filters to try and it seems like a pretty solid part.  Appears to be a US company based in Wisconsin.  The company isn't afraid to declare their faith either.

http://www.rapidairproducts.com/

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Compressed Air Piping in Shop
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 03:32:30 PM »
I looked at but unsure if I want to go that way. My system runs at 150psi so I would need the 3/4. Although budget and run size the 1/2 looks nice.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:50:54 PM »
There was another compressor thread on here where Big D said you can't ever get the 1/2" to be straight even when screwed to a wall (it wants to roll up) so if you do it to make it look good go with 3/4" straight pieces.

I'm going to run black pipe when I do mine, I like the old school way I guess.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:52:06 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 08:15:01 PM »
Korrekt!

The rolled up 1/2" stuff is a mess. I am still using it, but will replace it when I do garage 1.2

The straight tubing is just great. Get plenty of angle fittings. like twice what they recommend, you'll use them!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »
At the risk of getting flamed, what is the problem with SCH40 PVC?  Ive used that in the past.  I would think that under 200psi you'd be fine
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 10:10:58 PM »
I've had friends who ran it. I wouldn't as I believe the pvc over time can become brittle & deteriorate.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 10:18:09 PM »
Want it to last, use rigid copper. Don't want to have to take out a second mortgage, use longer hoses.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 08:03:05 AM »
The guys that did our heating and plumbing in our shop ran the lines. They used steel. WE have an 80x80 building with 10 or 12 outlets scattered around the shop with 4 water traps. Running 160 psi with a 500 gallon propane tank converted for air on reserve. We discussed using PVC or other plastic pipe. They refused to do it unless it was steel. He said he had seen one shop that used plastic and when it blew it blew a hole in the wall. If someone was standing there they would be dead.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
I've had friends who ran it. I wouldn't as I believe the pvc over time can become brittle & deteriorate.

Correct, and when the brittle PVC plastic finally fails it EXPLODES and sends shrapnel everywhere.

We discussed using PVC or other plastic pipe. They refused to do it unless it was steel. He said he had seen one shop that used plastic and when it blew it blew a hole in the wall. If someone was standing there they would be dead.

That's a great example.  I have also heard of testing sanitary waste PVC piping with air simply as a leak detection before it's done.  When testing with even low pressure air like 15 or 20 psi, fittings that never got glued can become dangerous projectiles and be shot across the room.  Air when compressed contains a lot of energy so you want the failure method to leak slowly, which metals tend to do.  That's why this new plastic / aluminum combination pipe is interesting to me, it appears to be safe but also quick, cheap and easy.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »
Well, I like the fitting and the ease of it but not so sure about the cheap part yet.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 08:30:48 PM »
Ive seen this in a couple local small shops, the "FastPipe" looks like a simple product to use. although it looks like the unions would cause you to go broke @ $10 each. this is on my to do list after insulating shop in the spring.

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 09:34:05 AM »
I can't comment on how the new technology works per say. But I did my entire shop in 1" black pipe. I bought a pipe cutter and threader on CL for $100. After that it was just buying the materials. I have about 250' of pipe and fittings all total. Nice thing about it, I have yet to find a shred of moisture at my drops. I angled it all carefully so the compressor is the lowest point. The drops are all 3/4" The 1" makes a large loop and ends up T'd back in at the compressor junction.

Set up this way the compressor can catch up no sweat to the sandblaster. I get about 22cfm at the drops at 125psi and run the main 1" at 150psi. I was going to run some copper to cool the air for painting but I have been spraying direct off the 3/4 drops with now water filter with zero problems all summer. Same with sandblasting... I might have $500 in all the pipe/fittings.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 10:52:24 AM »
I'm only running a 60 gallon tank so I was planning on making a ceiling loop and running 2" and 3/4" drops with black pipe to add more storage myself.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 12:51:20 PM »
we have a norm sighting.........where yah been norm and hows the farm and family doing?!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

OldKooT

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 06:33:03 PM »
We have been keeping busy neevr any lack of stuff to do around here. Hope everyone is keeping well and enjoying life.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal