Hello Guest

Author Topic: Cola Induced Late Morning Rant  (Read 4179 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Cola Induced Late Morning Rant
« on: November 24, 2015, 08:14:48 PM »
You ever have one of those days?
I've been prepping the shop for some additional concrete, to extend our outdoor work space. This will be a 10' wide strip, about 60' long. It will end at a storage container, and a shed that I keep the pressure washer and steam cleaner in. I need to run power and water to the conex eventually, for lights and a swamp cooler, so I figured I'd take the newly repaired trencher and run some conduit under the future slab.
Right off the bat, I nailed the main water feed....3 feet away from where I thought it was:

...then a few feet away, and a couple hours later (after running to Lowes for pcv supplies and fixing the water) I found a live wire that feeds a yard light....on the opposite side of the shop 100' away!!!
The only way I new I had a problem was that I noticed about 100' of irrigation cable wrapped around the trencher (still not sure where it came from)

...that conduit comes out of the north wall, goes 10' north into the driveway, hooks a 90* west, then slowly curves in a large arc to the south, under my current slab...wth!!! (the marker paint was sprayed after the fact for pics)

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cola Induced Late Morning Rant
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:15:58 PM »
...then I hit this 4" water pipe with a 3/4" next to it.....thank goodness they didn't hook to anything!
...and luckily I wasn't going too deep because it was after mucking out the trench that I noticed the security light conduit under it, where it starts heading south. I almost cut it twice!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 08:20:34 PM »
Just when I thought that there couldn't possibly be anything else, I ran into a black pipe (gas?)....uggg. Trencher not to happy with that last one.....nor my arms after being ripped out of their sockets!

I guess it also goes under the current slab, that I poured, but not sure where it ends.
...it's not the water line to the right....that one parallels the trench I dug today.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:21:08 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 08:25:36 PM »
I almost did it again. I momentarily forgot that the water line, on the corner of the slab, 45s from there to the dog pen. I was just taking a scratch cut to give me a straight line, when I remembered.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:27:46 PM »
....and then there was the customer's car that came up missing.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:43:30 PM »
Wow. Did you miss giving The Lord his praise last weekend?  Maybe a diagram on a post it note for next time would help ( since we've established that you ate EMP proof)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 08:45:44 PM »
Oh man....that really sucks. But it could have been worse hitting a gas line.  :o

I had a similar thing happen once building a pole barn but at least I had someone else tell me it was fine to dig where I was.....it wasn't.....but it also wasn't my pole barn  ::)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 08:56:49 PM »
Wow. Did you miss giving The Lord his praise last weekend?  Maybe a diagram on a post it note for next time would help ( since we've established that you ate EMP proof)

Maybe that's what it was. He must be really pee'd!!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 09:25:42 PM »
Nah. If he was that angry you'd be dead.......

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 10:10:44 PM »
Hahaa. True dat

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 11:47:03 PM »
Wow. That's a bad day.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for ya sir.

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 11:57:05 PM »
Well, I got you beat only on the injury side.

Repairing the 4ft chain-link I was using the little 2 stroke auger to put up a post and hit the old concrete! Ripped the auger from my hands and it hits my leg, OMG!!!!

I was off my feet the rest of the day. Leg swelled up like a volleyball with big o'l welts I later drained. 3 days latter and looks like I was shot, upper leg still swelled and going down to ankle now.

The handle (rubber coated) was the only part that got me. The first day was the worst as it swelled up and was tearing everything loose inside.

First day pic, moved to new thread to un DOT this one.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:25:25 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 02:28:56 AM »
I see Murphy has decided to visit you.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 07:56:36 AM »
You don't have a diggers hot line? Call before you dig they come out and locate all the pipes and wires?
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 09:17:02 AM »
You don't have a diggers hot line? Call before you dig they come out and locate all the pipes and wires?
Around here, only on the grid Jon, not on your property (unless it's an easement). This old shop has been around for a Long time, first as a residence from the 50's that burned(ironic, my brother and me was yelled at, as little kids, by the old lady that lived here), then multiple businesses....truck yard, taxi service, and electrical co. I actually dug up a layer of charcoal about 8" down.

edit: I meant to say the locating company (bluestake) only has plans up to the meters...electric, gas and water. The cable/phone co. can trace to wherever their box is...which may or may not be at the building.

...and to JR: the only thing that could be worse than what happened yesterday, is to look at a pic of your crotch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pokeJR

...oh, but that does look horrid. I've had one of those devil machines get away from me as well, but incurred no damage!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:26:52 AM by KensAuto »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 09:50:48 AM »
Wow, that's a nasty hit!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »
It was to close to the family to be comfortable for sure. Still don't know how I got that close, but done now.

The cement I hit I thought had been removed when the pool went in.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 12:29:11 PM »
And thanks Kyle. Today is already better. Found the lost car (at another shop..long story), and finished trenching the last 30' without hitting anything.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 12:45:58 PM »
Ken,

glad you didn't blow yourself up with the gas line! I have been there though building a French drain and drain tile. thought I remembered where I set the elbow off the corner and put the pickaxe right through it. couldn't get the angle to service it so 3ft wide hole, choice curse words and several dirty sweaty hours later I had fixed what was supposed to be a fence post hole.

JR,

That thing looks pretty terrible. Pretty good tissue damage from the impact it looks like, so keep an eye on it for infection. With compromised circulation in that area, infection could set in pretty easy and fast.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal