Hello Guest

Author Topic: Pig fat options?  (Read 1758 times)

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Pig fat options?
« on: December 13, 2015, 07:32:02 PM »
So I just butchered my pig and now I've got an excess amount of fat. What are my options to use it and not simply throw it away? I have never done anything with fat before so detailed information would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Pig fat options?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 07:35:04 PM »
I think I would make lard with it.....I never have but there's plenty of recipes out there for how to do it. And lard has many uses....

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:39:30 PM »

Yes, it makes great lard. A friend does her own pigs. I've seen her put the fat in a big pot and simmer it all day.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 09:03:04 PM »
Save to mix with deer meat to add some flavor
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 09:13:15 PM »
Lard, tallow, fat addition for homemade sausages.......
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:54:45 PM »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 12:53:21 AM »
So I just butchered my pig and now I've got an excess amount of fat. What are my options to use it and not simply throw it away? I have never done anything with fat before so detailed information would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donate it to a local mosque
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 01:17:24 AM »
Lard is something I do think I am going to do, then can it. nmeyer, these pigs were HEALTHY, and there is lots of left over fat after the sausage. When we were skinning these things we left good amount of fat on the hide in hopes to make trimming them up a bit easier... still tons of fat, its a bit ridiculous, real good looking meat though. I did know about putting it with deer, elk or antelope. However, I won't be shooting one until next fall (if I draw), and by then we will be on our next round of piggly wiggly raising and processing. Thinking about getting one in a month or so to start raising so that way when this one is eaten and gone I'll have one ready to go into the freezer. It seems rendering into lard is the most commonly done option though. I searched google a bit before posting here, just figured there would be someone here who has used it for x y or z for years now.

TRN, that is the best option yet! Should have kept the feet and taken pickled pigs feet with it.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 08:13:59 AM »
If you make lard either start early in the morning, get some help, or make it in small batches. Its a job and a half but worth it.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal