Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1327324 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #7050 on: July 17, 2018, 10:56:45 AM »
What part of Idaho you headed to Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pm'ed dave
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

OldKooT

« Reply #7051 on: July 17, 2018, 12:40:57 PM »
Spent yesterday with my wife in the hospital. 6am-9pm So a long day.  Her surgery went well and she came home last night. She's sore and moving a bit slow, but smiling. Today I am entertaining grand-kids while attempting to accomplish some past due chores.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: July 17, 2018, 03:00:20 PM »
Praying she gets better fast.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: July 17, 2018, 03:38:15 PM »
Good to hear Norm.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: July 17, 2018, 07:03:03 PM »
Hope nothing too serious, Norm.  Glad she's doing well.

Ken, happy for you.  That's where my next land purchase is intended to be.  Working my concentric circle plan I need the place of last resort.  As soon as I finish building THE resort.....  I'm sooo ready to be done...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

OldKooT

« Reply #7055 on: July 17, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »
She finally gave in and accepted she needed a hysterectomy. The Gyno Dr said between the adenomyosis and the damage the twins did to her Uterus 17 years ago, there was not much else she could do. It's been exactly 24 hours since she left the hospital. She's already tossed the pain meds, is now saying she can stop even using over the counter stuff, and she went for a mile walk despite my objections. Thanks all for your prayers. Hopefully she will slow down and continue to feel better.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: July 18, 2018, 07:45:13 AM »
Norm,  Glad she is feeling better and back on the mend. She sounds like a tough one.  :smiley:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: July 18, 2018, 08:51:23 AM »
Mile walk?!?

Already?

No, no not yet. Nothing heals in 24 hours. Hernia time and who knows what else if she doesn't give it some time.

Kay, I don't know you, but please, take it a bit easy for awhile, OKAY?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: July 18, 2018, 01:57:49 PM »
LONGBALL- I just bought the same unit- been eyeing it for years----and I did the same thing first night 3 racks of ribs.. so far im loving this over my old barrel one

Just put a ham in our new to us Traeger. Smoked 3 racks of ribs the first night, salmon last night, and now a ham. This thing is wonderful.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: July 18, 2018, 06:08:52 PM »
Pulled the Trailer up to our Canal lot for a few days. Heading back from Hoodsport to the lot, crossing a very narrow bridge, an oncoming Dodge pu got too close to or over the centerline and took out my outside mirror with his mirror. 700 dollars for new mirror,  and some lost blood from fighting with the door panel, all is good again. I wish those Dodge guys would pull in the mirrors when they weren't towing.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: July 18, 2018, 06:19:59 PM »
Pulled the Trailer up to our Canal lot for a few days. Heading back from Hoodsport to the lot, crossing a very narrow bridge, an oncoming Dodge pu got too close to or over the centerline and took out my outside mirror with his mirror. 700 dollars for new mirror,  and some lost blood from fighting with the door panel, all is good again. I wish those Dodge guys would pull in the mirrors when they weren't towing.

is that $700 of his money or yours?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: July 18, 2018, 06:25:47 PM »
He didn't stop and I would never caught up with him after finding a place to turn around. Darn spendy mirrors when they have all the neat stuff on them.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: July 18, 2018, 07:12:29 PM »
Dang Bob. Time to invest in a dash cam, then you could have reviewed footage and got a license plate... assuming they have one on the front like they're supposed to.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: July 18, 2018, 07:12:44 PM »
Sorry Bob, that sucks & I thought my wife’s $400 Lexus mirror was salty..

Darn Dodge owners & their 3 parking space mirror setups!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: July 18, 2018, 07:13:38 PM »
I’m on hour two of arguing with UPS customer service, holding my package hostage again..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7065 on: July 18, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
You might wanna rephrase that Shawn. lol

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: July 18, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »
You might wanna rephrase that Shawn. lol

no surprise you were the first to comment on it.....

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: July 18, 2018, 07:56:31 PM »
Bob, sorry to hear that.  Frustrating for sure.

Reminds me of a time crossing a narrow bridge on a winding road in the texas hill country towing the huge 5er with the dually.  Met another truck and fiver coming the other way and I just held my breath and closed my eyes.  I know I missed the rail and his mirror by mere milometers.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: July 18, 2018, 09:12:21 PM »
saw this and thought of Don..

https://youtu.be/Z2IMTOamZSU

OldKooT

« Reply #7069 on: July 19, 2018, 08:26:20 AM »
We had hail again last night....No damage to the F150 naturally.

Don, Kay isn't what I'd call "negotiable" about some things. I suggested strongly to her she could take it easy more so. She countered that the Dr told her she could walk and do stairs. Just no lifting over 10lbs or driving, and no fun time for 6 weeks.

She had the procedure done that doesn't require any abdomen incision, so no real worry regarding muscles tearing and such.

Yesterday she called the Dr and asked why she can't drive, and he basically said if she is off the pain meds she can drive an automatic, just not anything with a clutch. He also told her to keep the walking to a half mile. Her answer to that was to hang up and say "yeah a half mile one way, that's fine"  I just have her take the Schnauzer dog...he's old and lazy so he makes her turn around about at the 1/4 mile mark. Since she can't carry him...win/win LoL 

Last night she got home from the walk and declared "we need a new Schnauzer, this one is geriatric, he will just go to sleep at the end of the leash"

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: July 19, 2018, 08:32:09 AM »
whats the deal with you always getting blasted out there with the crap weather?  very rarely does anything really hit the south side here?!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

OldKooT

« Reply #7071 on: July 19, 2018, 01:18:57 PM »
Nate....I have no real answer except it's been going on this way for over a 100 years. Weather patterns in this area are very "specific"  as an example. I own some land that has a tree line on it's North side. It has a hole a half mile wide in it...when tornadoes hit, they run the same exact basic path every time hence the hole. Hail storms run very similar common paths... happens to be we live smack in the middle of one.

Last night we got hail, 2.5"of rain....in town at my shop no hail, less then a tenth of rain. It's just Nebraska LoL

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: July 19, 2018, 01:35:32 PM »
Nate....I have no real answer except it's been going on this way for over a 100 years. Weather patterns in this area are very "specific"  as an example. I own some land that has a tree line on it's North side. It has a hole a half mile wide in it...when tornadoes hit, they run the same exact basic path every time hence the hole. Hail storms run very similar common paths... happens to be we live smack in the middle of one.

Last night we got hail, 2.5"of rain....in town at my shop no hail, less then a tenth of rain. It's just Nebraska LoL

oh I can understand exactly what your saying, I just thought somebody figured it out long ago?

for whatever reason right around moore/norman oklahoma is where all the F5 tornados hit, then travel southwest on I44 towards lawton.  well they only get just past chickasha and completely fizzle out.  lawton or maybe the wichita mountain range has something to do with it............?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: July 19, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »
I had this cute car try and race me at a main light in town,  anyone care to google map, Riverdale road Riverdale Utah.   Not a street to put the pedal to the floor on.   Well I let him take off and laughed as he locked up his brakes because of the police officer pulling out of the local Maverick gas station just ahead of us

Not a name an older gent needs to have on his bumper. Kinda creepy

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: July 19, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »
Better than “pervert” I guess.

I ordered 10 industrial shelving racks from northern tool for the seacan

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:57:03 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: July 19, 2018, 11:48:11 PM »
I think any of us at any time could fall into the pervert lane but stalker is one step past it in my mind

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #7076 on: July 19, 2018, 11:52:58 PM »
General question for some of you guys that are a little further in life’s finances than me.
If you don’t mind, if it’s not to personal.  About what % has your retirement funds been producing this past year vs the previous administration?   I am about 15% this year.   

I give a large credit to our current administrations successes, wealthier people’s investing more into our economy and general economy’s health. 

Any takers?    Previous I was sitting about 10-12% growth

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:53:50 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: July 20, 2018, 12:08:38 AM »
Dave, if you’re getting 10-12% or more growth year over year I think you’re doing extremely well. A typical financial advisor will normally tell you to figure 8-10%

On a similiar note up until the last month or so most of the reports I was reading were looking for a market correction soon. I’m now reading more that are contemplating the DOW J going to 30 in the near future. Not sure I buy that but time will tell.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:14:22 AM by stlaser »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: July 20, 2018, 07:28:55 AM »
It was only a year or so that it topped 20 which most folks thought it wouldn’t do.   I remember a Econ class talking about it.

I honestly can’t remember getting less than ten% return on any of my statements

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: July 20, 2018, 07:30:55 AM »
Dave I think Shawn is on target. I’ve never found a financial advisor hat could consistently beat the market

If you assume 6% return for planning purposes that should give you plenty of margin of error. Time is the factor you cannot beat. Put it away now and time will work for you.

I don’t give investment advice generally but I’m mainly in index funds because the market,over time has always gone up and most people can’t beat the market and trying to time the market is a recipe for disaster. 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7080 on: July 20, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »
Dave, were you investing during the last recession?

My wife and I were heavy in real estate, we came out still making good money at the end of the day but compared what it was “worth” prior to 2008 we got hammered!  :tongue: I laugh now but I was pissed for several years about how that played out.

As Charles stated I don’t give investment advice. I know what I do and it’s because I’ve had experiences which is a nice way of saying it cost me money to learn. A good education is never cheap!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: July 20, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
General question for some of you guys that are a little further in life’s finances than me.
If you don’t mind, if it’s not to personal.  About what % has your retirement funds been producing this past year vs the previous administration?   I am about 15% this year.   

I give a large credit to our current administrations successes, wealthier people’s investing more into our economy and general economy’s health. 

Any takers?    Previous I was sitting about 10-12% growth

I will comment here, but it may not be what you want to hear

I have not seen investments pay off in very many cases

Being truthful, instead of buying into the short term hype of folks having millions of dollars for retirement, most people, and really, most of them including myself were lucky to break even or retain some of the money you saved

These investment companies are smart. They keep one focused in on the current rate of return, or focus on a five year or a ten year return. None of those matter for someone who is saving 40-50 years.

I had accumulated a pretty nice nest egg starting in the early 80's. I was a high risk oriented investor (Definitely the wrong approach in my view) and well set up for the october 1987 black thursday event. I'd say I lost about 100% of my gains for all the years i saved and maybe 75% of the actual money I invested

I noted though, that each and every year, the investment managers were paid from my funds, something I barely noticed while earning 20% on some investments.

The point I really want to make is no matter where you invest in the stock market, you can plan to have regular "adjustments" that cripple you causing you to have to reset and start over. But the managers will already have made their money, so they do not care. If you leave, others will come.

There was the dot com bubble where I lost money...We purchased a larger home and then saved most of the mortgage which I had invested while I worked in Afghanistan as a pilot. On the days the market collapsed again, I was in no position to pull out of the rapidly collapsing investments that this time were killed by the sub-prime real estate collapse. We lost over $300K on that one.

I would estimate I have lost over a million dollars of liquidity over the years, and the only investment which ever maintained its value was precious metals. I did accumulate quite a bit of that, which I liquidated here and there to purchase my farm, some heavy equipment or this and that.

But the silver and gold market are artificially manipulated, so you will really not make any money by buying these metals, but will only keep pace.

at the turn of the 19th century, a custom tailor silk suit would cost you like $15 or an ounce of gold. Today having that suit made will cost you well over a thousand dollars, or about one ounce of gold.

If you invest in any of these 401K's or IRA's managed by any company, you are just sheep fleecing out the beds of the managers.

That is why I created my own investment company, approved by the IRS that I control. I invest in whatever I want and benefit from the tax break. That is likely the only benefit in terms of money made you will ever realize. If you want to invest in a 396 SS Chevelle, have at it. Buy some gold and you will at least have the gold when the market has it's next collapse or adjustment.

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but I have invested for 40-50 years and my experience is a fact, and does not match the hype and sugar coating you get from those who make their money on controlling your money

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: July 20, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
I have had money going into some form or another since I was about 19,  so yeah since 2003

I invested mostly because companies I worked for matched what I put in.    Just looking at other options you guys feel value from

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: July 20, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
I have had money going into some form or another since I was about 19,  so yeah since 2003

I invested mostly because companies I worked for matched what I put in.    Just looking at other options you guys feel value from

Land
Gold
Silver

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: July 20, 2018, 03:38:27 PM »
Taught another CPR/First Aid/AED class with the nurse at work, then dove into paperwork after a tasty lunch consisting of a Subway Chicken enchilada melt.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: July 20, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »
Gold
Silver
Lead & tools that sling it
If I had opportunity cattle would be on list as well.

We have stocks too but I understand they can be wiped away in the blink of an eye. It’s a gamble & I do not pay managers. If I lose money it’s my fault same as if I make it.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: July 20, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »
In Cheyenne with family today enjoying frontier days, concert tonight.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: July 20, 2018, 04:57:26 PM »
Dave here is what the stock market has done since 1896

Diversification and dollar cost averaging is always sound advice

https://virtueofselfishinvesting.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/reports/2017/4675/history_of_market_corrections2-hires.png?link=mktw

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:59:15 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: July 20, 2018, 10:31:13 PM »
I VERY PATIENTLY waited exactly 10 years and 20 days for this moment!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: July 20, 2018, 11:05:30 PM »
Good looking picture minus that photo bomber guy on the left

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: July 20, 2018, 11:06:07 PM »
What do you all think of this

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: July 21, 2018, 12:29:33 AM »

What does that mean Nate?

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: July 21, 2018, 02:07:53 AM »

Nice picture Nate, glad it happened finally & best wishes going forward too.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: July 21, 2018, 02:08:44 AM »

Dave, I think the drywall people must be of Asian heritage... :huh:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:25:48 AM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: July 21, 2018, 02:15:11 AM »
In Cheyenne with family today enjoying frontier days, concert tonight.

It was a good day up until an incident at the concert with some drunk fellows who are of Mexican descent.

First time I have been called a white man as a racial slur, I’ll admit I laughed & found it slightly amusing.

By the grace of god I held back from swinging and two other fellows ended up in jail as a result this evening.

I was bought a free beer even, apparently I wasn’t the only one tired of their nonsense.

Oh, & yes I attract a******’s on a regular basis.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7095 on: July 21, 2018, 09:59:48 AM »
And that, my friends, is why I hate crowds.

You’re a better man than me Shawn

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: July 21, 2018, 10:05:40 AM »

So we did it. Home owner seen something on Pinterest and asked if we could, it happened, 

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: July 21, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »
Shawn, good man.   Simply being The bigger man usually goes a long ways.   Way to be an example

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: July 21, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »
And that, my friends, is why I hate crowds.

You’re a better man than me Shawn

I doubt it Charles,

Out of state, I go to jail until hearing

At bare minimum 6 video devices on us

Couldn’t get him to swing first & unlike my past I refused use colorful language & racial slurs to provoke him further. I guess in that respect I’m getting better.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: July 21, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »

So we did it. Home owner seen something on Pinterest and asked if we could, it happened, 

I think it looks good, just giving you a hard time. Unless you have Asian heritage then I’m just clairvoyant!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:50:22 AM by stlaser »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal