Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1331262 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #7150 on: July 25, 2018, 07:29:20 AM »
Shift kit in an Acadia is pretty freakin cool. I had to spend the night in the hospital last night. Monday morning I woke up with some pretty severe joint pain and stiffness in places where I usually don’t hurt. By noon I felt like I would be a liability at work so I went home. By yesterday afternoon the pain and weakness had spread to my muscles and was bad enough I had to use both hands to turn door knobs and walking down stairs was a challenge. As of now the dr suspects I have a some sort of blood illness from being bitten by a tick. I haven’t seen a tick in months but who knows. This morning they’re going to start another round of tests to try and narrow it down. They kept me over night because I had a high fever, pulse of 161, systolic pressure reaching 200, and was showings signs of kidney malfunction. Those are all far from normal for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of a tick does that? That is scary. Will be praying for you.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: July 25, 2018, 07:33:54 AM »
Morning prayers with you in mind sir, 

Now you got me singing the country song I’d like to chec you for tics lol.

I had never thought to even ask about a shift kit, just moneyed down to put a new one in.     I also wish I had the time and space to pull a trans, drop the motor replace W/p and so forth.     I’ll just drop mine off to ya next week deal?

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: July 25, 2018, 07:50:45 AM »
Thank you gentlemen. The doctor said they have seen cases of anaplasmosis here in Alabama. Black leg ticks can cause it but they’re only found in Northern California. Deer ticks will also cause anaplasmosis but are usually found more in the northeast. A friend of mine got rocky Mountian spotted fever 3 years ago but I don’t think that is the case. I ate red meat Sunday and didn’t have any signs or complications.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: July 25, 2018, 10:51:41 AM »
Shift kit in an Acadia is pretty freakin cool. I had to spend the night in the hospital last night. Monday morning I woke up with some pretty severe joint pain and stiffness in places where I usually don’t hurt. By noon I felt like I would be a liability at work so I went home. By yesterday afternoon the pain and weakness had spread to my muscles and was bad enough I had to use both hands to turn door knobs and walking down stairs was a challenge. As of now the dr suspects I have a some sort of blood illness from being bitten by a tick. I haven’t seen a tick in months but who knows. This morning they’re going to start another round of tests to try and narrow it down. They kept me over night because I had a high fever, pulse of 161, systolic pressure reaching 200, and was showings signs of kidney malfunction. Those are all far from normal for me.

Dang man! what's their line of thinking, lyme? Hope they figure it out quick and that it's not that new thing they're talking about on the news where you recover but then you're allergic to meat for the rest of your life. praying for you.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: July 25, 2018, 11:50:37 AM »
with the price of lumber, that's not cheap.  $5+ for a 10ft 2x4????
Copy that!
Framing timber is ridiculous, like double the cost of a couple years ago

I have probably paid off my sawmill a couple times over already and I'm onto my next phase with it

Familiar with the ash tree dye-off in eastern/central US of A?

millions of big hardwood trees still standing but completely dead

I am about to mill up all the framing lumber for the next two farm projects from this standing firewood. Whenever I finish the "Cedar outdoor room" next up is a small structure around the sawmill to get it under roof. Except for the roof, that thing will be totally constructed from wood sawn on that mill.

So, $6K ish for the mill and it can produce that much lumber inside a week...I'd say everyone homesteader could use one!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7155 on: July 25, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »

Holy freakin' crap!

On my prayer list. Feeling any better? getting to the for sure cause?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: July 25, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
You put a shift kit in hour wife’s Arcadia????for real how awesome is that!

Lol I figured while I had it apart might as well try to make things mo-better!

TransGo sk-6t70 it was like $70. Just replaces some valves just like the one for the Allison and included the rubber grommets for the shift solenoids which is good because I had one that was bad. Didn’t get any pics of that though.

There's a shift kit for Allisons?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: July 25, 2018, 02:42:07 PM »
Who is Alison?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: July 25, 2018, 02:49:07 PM »
Just no more hillary pics!!!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: July 25, 2018, 02:55:12 PM »
Family gone for the week, working on the house. Rocking the closet and bathroom ceiling.

Just came back from camp up past Willits and they talked about ticks all the time. Sounds nasty, good luck and prayers!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: July 25, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »
Took the hounds to the vet, the big monster got a clean bill, the brown dog got x-rays and needs his knee fixed, thank heavens I have dog insurance on him.   $3600 and I will pay $250 only.   

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: July 25, 2018, 05:27:46 PM »
Dave, when we get large vet bills we fix it with 7 cents. I figure my dogs are always $500 or less, I pay yearly for their shots, heart worm and flea and tick. We also have them groomed every couple of months. However, when they get old and have issues I refuse to spend large money fixing them.

On the other hand I had no idea you could buy pet medical insurance, interesting. Although, I will not be getting a quote on it.  :wink:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: July 25, 2018, 05:40:55 PM »
We will have to agree to disagree.  While vet bills are expensive,  I don’t get into owning pets thinking they are cheap.   It’s just like any other hobby.   I knew buying my truck I would need a trans much sooner than later, I needed it long before others.  As for the pup I knew he would possibly need his back legs fixed much like I am sure mine will also lol

His insurance is cheaper than a bag of dog food a month, the mastiff on the other hand was well over $130 a month and I decided he would get his bills paid for by other means.   

I guess I look at my dogs much like kids with one exception, my dogs never get mad at me, never shun me or tell me they hate me.  Simply love me and happy to have me come home, hell even they get more excited when I come home than the wife. Lol

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: July 25, 2018, 06:33:57 PM »
Yeah, they’re not like my kids to me. I suppose that is a big ideological difference. I get enjoyment from them but I’ve gotten enjoyment from the last half dozen over the course of my life just like the next half dozen to come. Good luck on your endeavor.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: July 25, 2018, 07:27:23 PM »
Sorry Shawn but I am with Dave on this one. My wife and I are watching our little dog of 13 years suffer with leaking heart valve and water on the lungs from it. Just today was back at the vet getting an updated meds intake for her. Tears me up, a friend sent this to us today. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: July 25, 2018, 07:41:45 PM »
Don I agree that every one should have a mill. It’s on my list.

As for the pets this could get out of bounds really quick but I’m somewhere in between.  I don’t think it’s humane to keep them hanging on for our own selfish reasons and I would likely draw a line somewhere financially too.

I’ve had to put a few animals down and it hurts but it’s sometimes the right call.

Fortunately we still have the freedom to choose when it comes to our pets. At least for now.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: July 25, 2018, 07:54:12 PM »

Charles, that is exactly why were at the vets today. As long as she is not suffering I don't think I could put her down. At this point I can still afford the meds and vet bill so until things change she will be with us. Subjects like this do turn into a deep hole for sure and I for one will not go there.

Living on a half acre lot which has only a very few trees a mill is not in my plans. There are mills around that can be brought in to saw some stuff if needed or wanted.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: July 25, 2018, 08:13:36 PM »
I would like to have a mill, except they don’t sell them with land usually

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: July 25, 2018, 09:01:53 PM »

Holy freakin' crap!

On my prayer list. Feeling any better? getting to the for sure cause?

Dang man! what's their line of thinking, lyme? Hope they figure it out quick and that it's not that new thing they're talking about on the news where you recover but then you're allergic to meat for the rest of your life. praying for you.

They still don’t know what caused all of this but still leading with tick born illness. Thankfully not Rocky Mountain spotted fever as I had red meat for breakfast. Vitals returned to normal. Sent me home with meds. I’m still having a hard time using my hands and fingers. Thank you gents for the prayers.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: July 25, 2018, 09:38:59 PM »
Prayers sent your way

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7170 on: July 25, 2018, 09:43:23 PM »
Dave, when we get large vet bills we fix it with 7 cents. I figure my dogs are always $500 or less, I pay yearly for their shots, heart worm and flea and tick. We also have them groomed every couple of months. However, when they get old and have issues I refuse to spend large money fixing them.

On the other hand I had no idea you could buy pet medical insurance, interesting. Although, I will not be getting a quote on it.  :wink:

I have to agree on the 7cents statement here, when large bills come into play for animals that just the way it is done on the farm growing up.  My dad always said "don't get attached to it" I learned what he meant as I got a little older, I cant stand to see an animal suffer its hard but I would rather have the pull of the trigger come from me then the needle from the vet!  Each his own just how I do it!

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: July 25, 2018, 09:49:28 PM »
       I have been so busy once we got home from vacation. I haven't kept up on what up on here.
       Something killed all my chickens and most of my ducks while we were away. I set traps out. The critters just roll the traps over and shake out the bait. So OK fine. I just kept feeding them all week. Hot dogs and marshmallows. Tonight I staked the traps down and hung the bait in there. The easy supper wont be so easy this time.
    With the chickens all gone I started fresh. I went and got 1 sheep, 4 Geese, 11 ducks and 2 hens. One with babies, one sitting on eggs. Did a major no no and moved the nest. The guy I got them from was moving so it had to be done. We will see what happens.
     Picked up a new job trucking. Hauling rock for a big construction company on a highway job. Not a great paying job but its picking up the slack from the crop prices.
     Some of you might remember me saying my mother in law was moving up here to Nebraska from Kentucky. She is adjusting pretty well so far. She can,t stand driving by a hog confinement or feed lot. She holds her nose. We laugh and say thats the smell of money!

We lost our second Barred Rock last night. Down to 19 chickens and 1 rooster now. I’ve had a cage trap out but nothing has messed with it so I’m thinking it’s a fox. We’ve seen them in the yard several times and had pictures of them on game cameras back in the winter.

believe or not I have had very good luck with these, don't know if they would work in the cold, since I installed these Raccoons(or anything else) have not come around and I don't have to deal with the lead poising they seem to be dying from.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E51X8Q8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: July 25, 2018, 09:53:58 PM »

What kind of a tick does that? That is scary. Will be praying for you.

Ticks can carry Lyme disease and that can cause paralysis. Have a close family friend that was bit a few years ago and while she is doing a lot better now, she still is not 100%, and she might never be.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: July 25, 2018, 09:57:51 PM »
You put a shift kit in hour wife’s Arcadia????for real how awesome is that!

Lol I figured while I had it apart might as well try to make things mo-better!

TransGo sk-6t70 it was like $70. Just replaces some valves just like the one for the Allison and included the rubber grommets for the shift solenoids which is good because I had one that was bad. Didn’t get any pics of that though.

There's a shift kit for Allisons?

Haha, yes, but It’s for the 2005-2010 6 speed models. The LML doesn’t need it as they beefed things up a bit from the factory, as you’ve been telling us ;)

http://www.transgo.com/products.php?category_id=35&parent_id=25&product_id=55

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: July 25, 2018, 10:01:52 PM »
I too was raised on a farm, my grandfather was raised during the depression. His parents were sharecroppers, my great grandfather bought truck tires for his Dodge pickup at the junk yard.

As a kid I recall my grandfathers mutt dog getting knocked up. It had a litter, a smack from a hammer was those pups fate. His comment was that we only feed one dog on this farm.

To each their own

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: July 26, 2018, 12:10:16 AM »
And it also taught me a lot about how to save an animals life, stop bleeding, infections, broken bones run an IV and so on.  When the vet did come out I paid very close attention to what they did so I could do it myself if needed in the future.  I have had to deliver way too many calf’s in my lifetime.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: July 26, 2018, 12:23:31 AM »
You guys would have to be talking dogs right now. Fixing to pull the trigger on my favorite one shortly. Having a harder time than usual...must be going soft. Is what it is

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: July 26, 2018, 12:30:24 AM »
Sorry Ken (twice)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: July 26, 2018, 07:36:34 AM »

[/quote]

believe or not I have had very good luck with these, don't know if they would work in the cold, since I installed these Raccoons(or anything else) have not come around and I don't have to deal with the lead poising they seem to be dying from.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E51X8Q8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[/quote]

For 20 bucks it worth a shot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: July 26, 2018, 02:34:04 PM »
now that I got to see an actual podiatrist and one that seemed very competent.  hopefully this will be good for another 20 years.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:36:16 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: July 26, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »
Yeesh, that looks painful!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: July 26, 2018, 02:56:32 PM »
I would like to have a mill, except they don’t sell them with land usually

Well, you only have seventeen trees in SLC!
A good sharp cross cut handsaw will take care of those
You folks saw up Mesquite?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: July 26, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »
What did you do Nate? Looks more than ingrowns (been there a couple times)

Glad I am working inside right now, little warm out there (picture) however I did start by cleaning off the solar panels.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: July 26, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
What do you mean jr?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: July 26, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »
Looks like you're tagged, getting ready for bagged, Nate. ha!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7185 on: July 26, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »
Folks, let me say something here.

If you have ingrown toe nails, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT let some whatever general/family practice doctor do anything to them or let you think or believe that they truly know what the heck they are doing!

The only person that can/will/actually know what they are doing is a podiatrist. 

The first time i had this done, it was a family dr that said he knew what he was doing, but then they grew back 2 years later.  The next time an actual podiatrist cut them out and it would have lasted forever, but having dropped things on my toes and losing the toe nails twice over 21 years in the army caused them to get re-ingrown.  Well the third time i had them cut out, a P.A. did it and screwed it up even worse.  Well 4 years later when i went to see a podiatrist about my totaly collapsed arches/flat feet, i was asked if i wanted what was botched to be unscrewed.......i thanked the lord and loudly said yes to the dr.

I will post results in a couple years.....lol

Offline DOOLEY

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: July 26, 2018, 07:31:39 PM »
I have to admit my brother is a foot dr and has removed part of my nail more than once, once it grew back split like two nails, part of the problem is how strong the root of the nail is, part is how strong the acid that kills the root is, mine was strong, the second time it killed all the root, mine was a partial removal each time, but there are variables. Note that that man has saved me from amputation twice. And i have all my limbs as of this date, he is a great doc and is a dr at the vets center at cincinati. He respects the vets and tells me all the time how he spoke with friends of mine who i taught hunter safety with or customers of mine where i work, its neat tp know how much they respect him and as well how much they respect me. Point is, nothing works every time, some times you just have to have faith and try again, mo matter the prefix on the name, last week i talked to a pa after having been in 3 hospitals, in two states in a weeks time, seen 10 or so dr's and none of them told me of a tenth of what the mri's i had said, turns out i have 2 bad hips, and i need my spine worked on, oh, i a;so have 8 cyst in my hp that needs to be removed. Ladies and gentelman, its the doc or person that makes the difference but you do have to give them a chance, ohand by the way don, i may be off work over the fall/winter months for a bit, but you have my number. Sec burlington
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:25:21 AM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: July 26, 2018, 10:10:28 PM »
What did you do Nate? Looks more than ingrowns (been there a couple times)

Glad I am working inside right now, little warm out there (picture) however I did start by cleaning off the solar panels.
What is your trans temp !!

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: July 26, 2018, 11:01:35 PM »
Hope you’re gtg soon Nate.

Always heard it should run 100 above ambient but I’m guessing 220 on asphalt.

Still have no strength in my hands or arms. Had to have my wife open ziplock bag for me this morning. Honestly getting a little worried now. First follow up visit tomorrow.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: July 27, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
I have to admit my brother is a foot dr and has removed part of my nail more than once, once it grew back split like two nails, part of the problem is how strong the root of the nail is, part is how strong the acid that kills the root is, mine was strong, the second time it killed all the root, mine was a partial removal each time, but there are variables. Note that that man has saved me from amputation twice. And i have all my limbs as of this date, he is a great doc and is a dr at the vets center at cincinati. He respects the vets and tells me all the time how he spoke with friends of mine who i taught hunter safety with or customers of mine where i work, its neat tp know how much they respect him and as well how much they respect me. Point is, nothing works every time, some times you just have to have faith and try again, mo matter the prefix on the name, last week i talked to a pa after having been in 3 hospitals, in two states in a weeks time, seen 10 or so dr's and none of them told me of a tenth of what the mri's i had said, turns out i have 2 bad hips, and i need my spine worked on, oh, i a;so have 8 cyst in my hp that needs to be removed. Ladies and gentelman, its the doc or person that makes the difference but you do have to give them a chance, ohand by the way don, i may be off work over the fall/winter months for a bit, but you have my number. Sec burlington
Sounds like you're having a scheduled surgery...?
Remember me and your friends if you need help!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: July 27, 2018, 09:10:10 PM »
My brother's place finally received some mud on the walls. Pretty sure Dave started building his place 6 months after we started this project. Lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: July 28, 2018, 12:38:52 AM »
Ordered an OLight today. Sale going on until tomorrow noon.

I have several of their lights now, work great. Many can be charged with a magnetic clip/usb.

Did a little mudding myself today. I had to keep reminding myself it was just a closet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: July 28, 2018, 06:31:07 PM »
Done deal. Traded the Traverse on a Tahoe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: July 28, 2018, 07:40:26 PM »
Were you in omaha jon?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: July 28, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »
Looks like Dillon has a few Chevy dealers in Ne. (Blair?)

I drove cross country a few years back on 80. Ne seemed to go on forever,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: July 28, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »

What did they hit ya for?

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: July 28, 2018, 09:40:10 PM »

Looks like quite the upgrade Jon. Congratulations.

Small improvement here today. Hopefully be good to go by next weekend.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: July 28, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »
Looks like Dillon has a few Chevy dealers in Ne. (Blair?)

I drove cross country a few years back on 80. Ne seemed to go on forever,,,,,,,,,,,

NE is like 5 or 6 hours to get across & it suuuuuucks....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: July 28, 2018, 10:42:47 PM »

Looks like quite the upgrade Jon. Congratulations.

Small improvement here today. Hopefully be good to go by next weekend.

That’s good news, nice upgrade on vehicles Jon.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: July 28, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »
Good buy there Jon.  Man, black requires a lot of effort but it looks good when its clean!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal