TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

Happy wife construction projects

(1/4) > >>

EL TATE:
So we're on our 9th anniversary today, and have decided that our gift to each other is to update the house. Built in 2004, the hardiplank siding is holding up just fine, but is looking pretty dated. She wants to add some stained cedar shake to the dormers and some faux rock siding on the face of the house. this stuff is what we're looking at http://www.fauxpanels.com/regency-stone/styles-stacked-stone.php?color=32. by the time we're done, it will look a little more like Kyle's new place, styling wise. I'll be staining the porch and pillars to match the cedar shake. I'm a little early posting, as we haven't even decided on material sources, or colors, but I wanted to throw it out there to see if there are any veterans here that can guide/warn me of what I'm in for. I've done stuff like this before, but never dealt with hardiplank, and removing sections of it has me admittedly nervous. I don't want to re-do something for no reason.

Dawg25385:

--- Quote from: EL TATE on March 30, 2016, 05:45:05 PM ---So we're on our 9th anniversary today, and have decided that our gift to each other is to update the house. Built in 2004, the hardiplank siding is holding up just fine, but is looking pretty dated. She wants to add some stained cedar shake to the dormers and some faux rock siding on the face of the house. this stuff is what we're looking at http://www.fauxpanels.com/regency-stone/styles-stacked-stone.php?color=32. by the time we're done, it will look a little more like Kyle's new place, styling wise. I'll be staining the porch and pillars to match the cedar shake. I'm a little early posting, as we haven't even decided on material sources, or colors, but I wanted to throw it out there to see if there are any veterans here that can guide/warn me of what I'm in for. I've done stuff like this before, but never dealt with hardiplank, and removing sections of it has me admittedly nervous. I don't want to re-do something for no reason.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a fun project!

From talking with friends who have worked with hardi also, buy the specialty blade. And be careful, as it's brittle and will crack off easily. And if you're nailing with a gun, do a few tests to set your depth so you don't just blast right through the plank (like you can with 2x's) and fracture off the hardi... But it sounds like you're removing hardi, rather than adding... if i get what you're sayin

Nate:
Fixed the link for yah tater

TexasRedNeck:
Wear a respirator when cutting hardi.  I re-sided my lake house years ago.

Nail guns should have a depth control when applying hardy correctly.  ( i didn't and didn't have a problem, but "some say") The nails should be flush not recessed.  Some nail only the top edge so that the fastners are hidden. I'm not a fan.  Too flimsy. You can grab the bottom edge and bow it out when done that way.  If you are hanging it solo the hard part is holding the other end.  I made a little aluminum S clip that slips over the top of the lower course and allows you to sit the lower edge of the next course on it to hold it.  Go nail the other end, come back, remove clip nail end.  Work the rest of the board.

Lick and stick, as the facade stone is called, is easy to work with.  Just pay careful attention to water intrusion protection and suggest adding tyvek if not already on that section.

Good luck and keep us posted.

EL TATE:
Great feedback guys, thank you. I'll be removing sections of the hardi to install the façade, adding tyvek under the façade and also including a drip edge, sill, whatever it's called in stone above the rock panels. With WA weather, I don't want any water issues so there will be plenty of caulk involved. checking out colors and patterns of stone this weekend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version