Hello Guest

Author Topic: Predator Generator  (Read 11853 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Predator Generator
« on: April 01, 2016, 10:55:40 AM »
So I am looking at the 2K generators...again. In the past I went through the Honda iu2000 and companion. But at $2000, that's ridiculous.
During the winter months, I think I could run the camper on maybe 2000 watts, since it is mostly propane this and that.
Harbor Freight just came up with this little model for $499. Reading about it, the thing seems somewhat competitive, although it does not couple with another like the Hondas and others to make a 4K unit

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/2500-peak2200-running-watts-47-hp-125cc-portable-inverter-generator-61169.html
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Predator Generator
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »
Don take this with a grain of salt as it is only what I have read on the internet.....and you know what that means!  ::)

Is the power produced clean enough for electronics? (I am guessing in the trailer you would be running a laptop, TV or similar electronics) One thing I keep reading about/hearing is the fact that the better generators (Honda & Yamaha) are generator inverters so they have "cleaner" (less volatility) power produced which is needed by today's electronics. Now some here may well know more than me about this and I am ready to listen and learn but that's one thing that has kept me from taking the plunge on some of the inexpensive generators that are out there.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:32:04 PM »
Honda 2k generators are around a grand not 2 grand......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 01:28:08 PM »
I think Don was talking the paired setup of two for two grand.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 04:15:45 PM »
I can smell the china plastic from here....

....and this tough decision coming from a guy that probably just spent more than the average Joe makes in a year........ you guessed it........ on a shed!

:pokeTheDon
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 05:06:01 PM »
Maybe he was talking pairing them up but then he mentioned the China junk couldn't be paired & stated he bet 2k would cover his electrical needs. Myself I am buying the Honda & you can get them in tri fuel for under $1500 for a 2k watt model.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 06:34:41 PM »
I was at Harbor Freight today. I didn't see a predator. They do have one on sale with coupon for 88 bucks. Just has one 110 outlet.  I almost grabbed it just to have but The wife would probably have something to say about that.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »
Honda 2k generators are around a grand not 2 grand......
I know, but I would need two of them. The camper needs about 3500 on a day with the AC running, so two Hondas get the job done, barely.
This little chinaman's parrot and squirrel powered unit makes 2200 watts. mo-powerful than the little Honda that could.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 06:59:23 PM »
I was at Harbor Freight today. I didn't see a predator. They do have one on sale with coupon for 88 bucks. Just has one 110 outlet.  I almost grabbed it just to have but The wife would probably have something to say about that.
I have purchased three of them to date. Good little units. One powers a pastors street church. He runs a couple lights and a amplifier for a mic and a guitar. I have one in my house, and I gave one away as a Christmas present. They def get the job done, but only 900 watts

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 07:08:31 PM »
Was flipping through my latest northern tool catalog & they have a Honda unit 4500 rated watts for $1699

Edit: now if you wanna go cheap look at northern tools "powerhouse" line and they have a 5500 rated watts for $649

Double edit: they also have a "North Star" line powered by a Honda motor 4500 rated watts for $1099
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 07:14:59 PM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 07:30:28 PM »
Was flipping through my latest northern tool catalog & they have a Honda unit 4500 rated watts for $1699

Edit: now if you wanna go cheap look at northern tools "powerhouse" line and they have a 5500 rated watts for $649

Double edit: they also have a "North Star" line powered by a Honda motor 4500 rated watts for $1099
I own a 5500 watt Generec already. It's a pretty good unit, but not inverter logic. That little Predator IS a inverter unit

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 08:31:23 PM »
Ive heard good things about these guys.  Check the comparison page
http://www.bottomlinetrading.com/BOLIY.html
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 09:53:56 PM »
Ive heard good things about these guys.  Check the comparison page
http://www.bottomlinetrading.com/BOLIY.html
TRN, that is a seriously good link you just gave me!

I wanted to build a generator into the shed, in a lower generator "Room" and wire it into the breaker panel. I'd like to be able to yank the chord and get everything powered up. I've never heard of the Boily Generators, but looking at the comparisons, I haven't seen anything as good as those numbers, anywhere!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 10:39:48 PM »
Yeah, I'm looking at them too.  Buddy I trust from DF has one.  Really like the external tank option.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 01:51:32 AM »
Have you thought about a mil-surplus genny?  Check out http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/search.ips, hopefully that pulls up the search. If not just type in generator in their search. They've got all kinds of options! If you have looked at this option and already posted somewhere else on here it is bad, I do apologize. I just saw this post and felt the need to share this option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 09:04:16 AM »
Take a look at Generac they have been rated very good and better price than Honda!
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_generators+generac+inverter-generators?seeAll=1
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 10:28:57 AM »
Hmm. I'm diggin that iq2000. ...and built in the U.S. (with china parts)

OldKooT

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 07:23:26 AM »
I have a used 6500watt Onan quiet run model I purchased that came from an RV. Coupled with a 12v starting battery and a external fuel tank, it makes for a nice stationary gen set that is not bad on fuel, relatively quiet and reliable. It seem to run laptops and ham radio gear with no problem, as well as keeping freezers cold/furnace running and such for my Mom during a 17 day power outage a few years back. I have considered converting it to natural gas or propane, but it's handy and portable from location to location now, so i have left it alone.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 08:50:00 AM »
I am currently using a generic 5500 to run the camper and the construction requirements. A bit thirsty but starts on one pull and dead reliable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldKooT

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 10:32:31 AM »
Don, you need a welder/generator down there for those moments when you tear parts off your JD Dozer LoL

Or you could get a ready welder for square D..those are extremely handy. Other than you do have to have the engine running to use them.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 12:46:53 PM »
Or you could get a ready welder for square D..those are extremely handy. Other than you do have to have the engine running to use them.

Now that was just plain mean....

haha.  ;)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
Don, you need a welder/generator down there for those moments when you tear parts off your JD Dozer LoL

Actually they have those kits where as long as you have two batteries in series you can weld. I think sq d could store the batteries until needed?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »
Actually they have those kits where as long as you have two batteries in series you can weld. I think sq d could store the batteries until needed?

Great idea Shawn...he could tow SD to the farm with the batteries protected in the topper, and just drag the tractor (with Sarge) up close to the truck when welding is needed. Volia, stationary welder! :)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »
Correct, drop the tail gate on sq d & he has a better welding table than those wooden cardboard covered night stands he uses in his garage at home! Technically with Sarge he can just drag sq d around the farm & call it a portable welder "system"?!? :o

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »
They had those HF 2000 on sale a couple weeks back for $350, wish I had had the funds. Seen many of their bigger ones returned and hear they throw rods.

I have a Generac 3k in my trailer, runs AC and all just fine.

Also have a Troy built 5500 for home backup, starts first pull and it was a return 10 years ago!

That little HF would be a great portable unit, but there are better for less $ IMHO.

With what you want for the farm, I would look at a diesel 10k unit. All the power you would need, quieter and less fuel.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:30:33 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »
Correct, drop the tail gate on sq d & he has a better welding table than those wooden cardboard covered night stands he uses in his garage at home! Technically with Sarge he can just drag sq d around the farm & call it a portable welder "system"?!? :o
Yes would fit the bill of portable.
And heck there's room enough to series parallel quite a few batteries in the box.
Charge via Sarge while moving the portable system.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 07:22:11 PM »
Gotta come up with a catchy name for the "final sq d / welder system conversion" thread? I currently have no ideas so let's hear what the DOT nation thinks? 8)

OldKooT

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »
"The D Cell"

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 08:56:20 AM »
I like it!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »
^^x2!
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 01:21:42 PM »
That's where Don's gonna put you two, in "D cell" and toss the key!  ;D
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 01:36:12 PM »

Negative, if that was possible he woulda locked us up long ago. Think of all the build threads he coulda kept prim & proper!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »
I'm just takin' notes...

Not going to be pretty for those two, not that it ever has been...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 06:18:13 PM »
For the record I never claimed pretty!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 01:53:26 AM »
You know I have been doing some research and the Westinghouse units keep coming up.

Rated better than Honda for output, size, sound, weight, and $600 new.

USB ports, 12v auto plug, smart paralleling and runs longer. Just a little more food for thought.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 02:57:50 AM »
Link?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 08:54:08 AM »
Westinghouse: Some good numbers on those units.

So I have tightened up the shot group some on what i actually need at the moment

Not saying this won't change, but I own this Generec 5500

I think I'll shove it into a generator house enclosure and make it the prime power (backup power in a couple months) for the shed.

It is a bit cumbersome moving the heavy thing back and forth between the shed and the camper. So I think I need a unit for the camper.

I am thinking 3100 ish running watts  and maybe 3700 is start up watts should kick that can down the trail some.

That will be a dedicated unit for the camper for now, while I grow the "usability" of the hide. I can see a situation where it is a rainy, muddy mess outside and I am working in the shed then occasionally back to the camper to eat and shower and sleep. SO two gens make sense.

Looking at that HF 3200/4000 unit it comes close to being a nice camper unit. Then I found a video showing how to modify it to throw all its available amperage over to the funny camper outlet, which it has.

But thing is, it sells for $349 at the moment and it is, well, a cheapo chinaman HF unit. Make that $370 with tax.

Looking over at SLOWES, I see they carry a generec 3300 unit for $429.
Now, me being a housewife, who used to be a man, who was once a soldier, makes me entitled to a 10% discount

Thank you berry much SLOWES!

Doin' da math, that equals $386 X KY aid to heroin addicts (Tax) = $409

So the question comes down to isn't it worth it to go with a name brand, Generac purchased from a store which exudes Americana for $39 more?

I mean when I take the M.R.S. out for a spendy dinner, she wastes more than that in food she ordered but can't and never really intended to eat!

Side not there...Every time I see 10 oz of prime rib sitting on the plate, unconsumed. I see that as one third of a spare motorcycle chain going to waste. Not sure why I see a MC chain...Must be a housewife thing...

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
That seems like a no brainer, but, I wonder which one is quieter. To me, that would be a pretty big priority. I like "quiet" when I'm in the woods.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 11:08:43 AM »
That seems like a no brainer, but, I wonder which one is quieter. To me, that would be a pretty big priority. I like "quiet" when I'm in the woods.
Which one I get this time is getting some DM's (Don Mods) which include an aux fuel tank and a second muffla'

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
I have put a gen in an enclosure and it worked very well. Was a big alum truck box on a trailer tongue

3500 electric start chinese special. Ran a flex out the bottom with a 12v fan for cooling. Very quiet and never missed a beat.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
I have put a gen in an enclosure and it worked very well. Was a big alum truck box on a trailer tongue

3500 electric start chinese special. Ran a flex out the bottom with a 12v fan for cooling. Very quiet and never missed a beat.

Good idea kimosabe!

That power enclosure thing is coming right up.

Just talked to the power company about running the underground conduit from the pole to the houtch.

Schedule 80 3" is what they recommend. I'm going for 400 Amp service.

He told me they actually ran 7200 volts directly to my house out there. No problem getting any amount of power I might need...Cool!

Off to get the steel for my electrified shutters!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 02:26:36 PM »
Heck, just watching videos of people looking in the windows and getting zapped would make a great weekend.

Electrify the gate onto the property and have it open with a remote,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:31:07 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2016, 02:36:09 PM »
You'll want all of about 33-3500 for the camper.
Once the AC gets fired up it doesn't leave any room on a 2000 from experience.
That is as long as the 2000 lights it up.
Somewhere in that ballpark is the running wattage of the AC unit.
So having 33-3500 gives a fair amount of room for other things.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2016, 06:38:13 PM »
Yep, my 3000 actually runs my AC and other things just fine.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2016, 06:39:20 PM »
Just got an add from HF, on sale for $429 right now. It is a 2500, not a 2000. Heck, I need a trip to Reno since I can't get in Ka.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:40:40 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2016, 09:57:24 PM »
I decided on a Champion.

3300/4000 watt. Purchased at SLOWES

$329 List - 10% mil discount = $296 + Tax = 313.86 out the door, and with a warranty

Done!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2016, 11:31:28 PM »
This should run the camper perfectly!
Nice touch that it has the RV outlet.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2016, 12:29:27 AM »
Ordered a Wen 2000 watt Gen. Just a little heavier than others, but half the price with good reviews.

Plus with discounts via Sears, got it for under $450 shipped and tax. And if it doesn't measure up, Sears is close by.

http://www.amazon.com/WEN-56200i-Starting-Generator-Compliant/dp/B00SMNLF4M

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2019, 02:07:46 AM »
Don can we get an update on an. Old thread.  Lookin at gens for the trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal