Hello Guest

Author Topic: Truck Camper Build for Alaska Trip Summer 17  (Read 29783 times)

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
Truck Camper Build for Alaska Trip Summer 17
« on: May 06, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
Well this will be my first build thread! Slow build of our new to us Sun Lite Pop Up truck camper for our 60 day trip from Michigan to Alaska summer of 17. Wife and I have big plans for this camper Solar, new flooring, paint, Major Cleaning! I'll post more pics as we make progress.
Camper ad

http://www.asrvcenter.com/rv/2001-SUN-LITE-EAGLE-WT-18416

Also will be doing some truck mods for the trip. Here's first time on my truck, I have an RDS 45 gal aux tank in the bed that's why the gap between the cab and camper.

Made it home set it up on patio so my wife can get started on the cleaning and pulling out the couch and carpet.
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Truck Camper Build for Alaska Trip Summer 17
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 10:39:17 AM »
Oohh Alaska. I will happily subsribe to this thread!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 11:38:03 AM »
Looking forward to this!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »
Yessir. I'm in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 09:08:33 PM »
Umm... how's it handle with that camper hanging waaaay out the back like that?

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 05:12:47 AM »
The truck doesn't even know it's there! Camper is only 1500 lbs. and one of my many planed mods is to take the bumpers off the front of camper, they're aprox.  3" deep so you don't hit the top of your bed rail. Going in their place will be a tailgate bed mat so their is something between my fuel tank and the front of the camper. That will move it 2 1/2" more forward. The camper only hangs over about 24" from the bed some of the truck campers you can get for our short box trucks are HUGE with as much overhang and tons more weight!  My eldest son works at a local fab shop, so we'll take tailgate off and come out of the trailer hitch with a angled support up to the bottom of the camper in 2 places. Also this gives me a spot to mount steps. 
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 07:47:31 AM »
Well my wife got the outside washed today, looks lots better. After work today pulled couch and frame so we can get rid of the nasty carpet!

Then I started on battery and water tank area. I want to clean all this up so I can add dual batteries and my charge controller for the solar.

The water tank had about 2" of water left in it! Lots of scum when I dumped it out. I'll fill it with a cup of bleach/water to the top and let it set for a few days to see if I can save the tank. Younger Son coming up tonight to shoot handguns if the weather holds so no work on camper till Monday. Everyone have a good Mothers Day, out with my Mom, Dad and my family tomorrow.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:00:37 AM »
Well my boys built 3 new targets, AR-200 steel plate and 1" tube lower

Nice angle splatter goes down right along the angle of the plate

Works  great !  9mm 223 12ga slug

Little work camper
Got more carpet removed

Water tank and battery removed
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:12:45 AM by kampfitt »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »
I'm excited about this build and seeing this camper being used on the upcoming trip

Good stuff!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 10:20:10 PM »
I shall also be watching this with much interest.

I've got a cargo van that's just dying for some camperizing.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 10:40:35 PM »
Will enjoy this!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 09:55:58 AM »
Well we have a little more progress. While I was at work my Wife remove the dinette riser so we have a flat floor to lay down the new vinyl.

Left me the bathroom! Removed toilet, then started on the carpet. What a job, they must be paid by the staple!! 1000 per board!

Also had to remove door on fridge so I could get the board out right under the front. Wifey took door and all the racks and drawers in for a good cleaning!

Off to Home Depot tonight to check out new flooring.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »
Good progress....this will be great when its done. Nice job!  :)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 07:29:52 PM »
Nice updates, keep em comin

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 08:45:54 AM »
General comment from a happy person:

This is the kind of thing I/we really like seeing on this site. A realistic and practical build which is well documented, and could be duplicated by just about everyone. Write-ups like this one empowers and energizes not only the viewership, but the builder as well.

I think God meant for us to work with our hands and to be good stewards of things. A slide in camper being restored  just fits with that theme. Husband and wife working together, doing something cool, and working toward a goal.
Yep, I like it!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 09:04:09 AM »
I agree, not to mention the uber cool trip that comes at the end of such a task is a huge reward in and of itself.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 10:28:31 AM »
Thanks Guys, Wife and I work pretty good together. She has good ideas on interior stuff, I work on outside and systems. We got a little more done this weekend, I removed the jacks and mounting brackets took them to have them sandblasted and powder coated.

Then got back in time to run up to our towns Railroad Days Parade, to watch my son driving our townships new Tanker 1!

Proud Dad!!

Then back home to do a little more.
Got my led bulbs from M4 Products, changed out old yellow bulbs!

Before
After Much Whiter and Cooler the olds bulbs made the lens hot to touch!

Waiting on new taillights, Vent fan, and solar kit.

OldKooT

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
Going back to Alaska is one of the goals of our truck build we are beginning. So I will be watching your build with interest. I like that campers light weight..I may have to look for one of those myself.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »
Well got a little more time on the camper. Pulling the TV ant. looks like it leaked at one time. Also changing the roof vent to a MaxAir fan.I have one of these in the bedroom of my 5th wheel, they work great can be left open in the rain without extra covers. It moves a lot of air and is very quiet.

[/U
After an hour of work finely  got the ant. and vent cover off.
[URL=http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/kampfitt/media/IMG_20160518_163528_718.jpg.html]

Then put a bead of Dicor sealant around the hole and butyl around new trim ring. This fan comes in 3 pieces the power head, outside mount ring and inner trim

Put the outside mount on and cover the screws and edges with the Dicor

Brought the top up you can see the 4 screws to hold it and rubber o-ring to seal it to the mount.

All done up top, fan in raised position it drops down level on the upper lid when closed.[forgot pic]

Moved to the inside, there was power already to the vent so that made this part easy!

Here is the inner trim ring. It will work in cellings up to 6" thick but mine is only about 2" so I had to trim off 4" with my Vib. mutli tool.

All done this thing really moves the air in this small camper.

Still have to plug the ant. hole. I'm going to put a plastic box on the roof for the solar wires and on the inside I'll do a wire mold box and trim to get to the battery.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »
Finished the top for solar wires. Need 10" square to cover all the holes from the Ant.

Then I put a few screws back to hold it all down!

Finished with sealant.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 10:41:34 AM »
Well I went to work Sat. and left my drill out and this is the pic  wife sent me!!
Windows out!!

All Clean
[/URL
New butyl tape and Dicor.

[URL=http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/kampfitt/media/IMG_20160521_200150_615.jpg.html]

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
^^^Good clean work!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 09:01:58 PM »
Being a pop up how well do you think the insulation value is for the vinyl parts? Will it be really cold when you are there?

Sure looks clean and the wife helping is a big plus.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 09:25:19 PM »
I was kinda wondering that myself, Alaska from what I know never really gets warm......

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 08:29:12 AM »
We plan on going in July-August, so temps 70-40 range. We'll have a good comforter and the camper has a furnace to take the chill off in the morning.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 03:14:32 PM »
I would love to make the trip too. When I get the Sub done that would be a great "summer" trip for the boys and I.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 09:34:26 AM »
Finally got a little time back on camper.
Wifey wanted another plug to rear of camper for tablet or heater when we have power.
Looking at power center found it has Main 30a then 1 20a and 2 15a breakers, 1 15 a for the existing plugs another for fridge and 20a ? So I pulled it all apart and found the 20a breaker prewired to the back but unused! Perfect for the plug I'm putting in.

Ran my wire down pipe chase to the back.

Cut a hole to put GFCI Plug in, need to stop and get cover plate on my way home from work today.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »
Well got more done on the camper. Interior Lights and plugs done, on to new flooring.

Wife laying it all out for the right color match!

Before!

After! She did a Nice job while I was at work!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 09:52:48 AM »
^^^ Wow, what a difference!

This "Freshening up" is going well!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 12:11:35 PM »
Sure is nice when the wife lends a hand, enjoys it and does a good job to boot!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
That looks really great. So much progress!

When you get around to planning your Alaska trip love to see the itinerary. Definitely on my bucket list.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 02:58:24 PM »
That looks really great. So much progress!

When you get around to planning your Alaska trip love to see the itinerary. Definitely on my bucket list.

X2......

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 08:01:51 PM »
Wow that looks great

NRA Life Member

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 09:17:01 PM »
Really nice when you get to work as a couple and enjoy it together and enjoy it together too.  Looking good!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »
Little more time on camper
Couch is in toilet done, Wife working on curtains

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »
Amazing progress!  I love my wife but she can't change a light bulb. My mission is to make sure my girls have skills. I really like the vent fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 08:56:20 AM »
Vent Fan works great!  Got more done on the jacks, Put them together twice! forgot the mounting rings!!
New Powder Coating

Rings installed!

Slide inner screw tube in, put roll pin in, Drive gear just sets over roll pin.

Slide drive shaft with spacer and gear in then put roll pin in to hold it all together. Without getting grease on white paint!!

Back on camper looking much better even if I had to do it twice!

And on to next step, took tailgate off and making platform that slides into hitch to support the back of camper.
2" x 6" main rails 2" x 4" tie rails

Put #1 son to work He's my welder if you need better than farm welding I do!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »
Those jacks turned out great!

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2016, 08:31:46 AM »
Did some more on truck platform despite the heat!
Tailgates off hitch tube is in to mark location of first upright

On the bench to weld up

Setting location on platform

Trying to get the angle and length just right. Wood is cheaper than tubing!!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2016, 12:21:48 PM »
Looks extra heavy!

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2016, 08:29:44 AM »
^^ for real. Also serves as rear collision protection!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »
Got some more time in on the camper Sat. Putting on Camp site lights on all sides. Rear will have a switch near back door, Left side Right side and front will have switches up beside the refrigerator and bed so they are close if you hear a bump in the night!
Made 90' brackets for the sides

Then bought tube mounts for the front and back

You can see factory seam in roof, so I used Eternabond tape to waterproof the seam and hold the wires down going back to the junction box on the roof.

And for all you Safety Guys here's how not to make your own pick!! Roof says no weight except on roof rack 100 lbs max! That leaves me out!

Still have to put switches in then back to rear carrier and truck wiring. No backup light on trailer plug?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2016, 10:18:50 AM »
Love the scaffolding, genius!!! ;)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2016, 10:24:04 AM »
Love the scaffolding, genius!!! ;)
I could envision placing a comfy piece of 3/4" on the ladder and catching a short nap!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »
I did that when I built my garage. Was higher and longer, but screwed together.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2016, 12:51:13 PM »
Great work and progress! Are you going to have switches in the cab for the side lights also? Might be helpful when pulling into a campsite at night.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2016, 02:35:24 PM »
Shhhh Wilbur.I think he's sleeping up there.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2016, 02:37:08 PM »
Shhhh Wilbur.I think he's sleeping up there.

HAHAHA!  ;D

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »
It does look comfy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2016, 06:27:30 PM »
Great work and progress! Are you going to have switches in the cab for the side lights also? Might be helpful when pulling into a campsite at night.

X2 think that would be a good idea or maybe easier, mount external lights on truck that stay on their permanently

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal