Hello Guest

Author Topic: Truck Camper Build for Alaska Trip Summer 17  (Read 29778 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Truck Camper Build for Alaska Trip Summer 17
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2016, 08:15:08 PM »
I believe you can use the center pin for back up on a 7 pin

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2016, 08:29:39 PM »
Correcto-mundo ^^
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2016, 08:39:53 PM »
Thanks Fonz!  :thumb
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2016, 08:47:30 PM »
Knew you would get it!

Sorry Mr Kamp about Dottin' your thread up. That's what happens when we get bored. :)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2016, 10:06:05 PM »
That's the very wire I tapped into for my bumper reverse lights.
Debated a switch, but realized the trouble it would cause me one day.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2016, 08:38:16 AM »
The switches for the lights are all inside the camper, but I learned the hard way always get out and check for low hanging limbs! So while out checking campsite out the rear light switch is right at the door , I'll be able to just reach in and turn it on for additional rear flood lighting.
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2016, 08:42:47 AM »
Got to finish up wiring on camp lights. Put switches for front, left and right sides up beside the bed for any bumps in the night.

Used Wife's multi tool to cut the hole, I love this thing I use it more than she does!

Switches and power outlet installed

Wire on top to junction box covered with the Eterna Bond tape

Then on to new LED tail and backup lights!
Had to find out they never hooked up backup wire to rec. in the box! that took a while to find and fix then back to light install
These things are great! Super Bright!
Running Lights

Backup light and Running

Backup and Brake!

Now just have to do Pass. side tonight.
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2016, 12:56:21 PM »
Nice work. I have 3 of those cutters. (2 came in kits, I bought the same HF)
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »
That looks great. Chasing wires can be such a PITA!  >:( Nice job!

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2016, 08:03:34 AM »
Both side done, very happy with how this turned out!
These are the back up lights I used
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YI29SK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And Taillights
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V4XBUE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Running Lights

Brake Lights

Back Up and Brakes!

Almost ready to go on first road trip. Going to Tahquamenon Falls State Park in Sept for our anniversary, lots of good hiking and site sighing.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
Nice build!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »
Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2016, 10:03:13 AM »
Nice and bright! Great work.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2016, 10:43:43 AM »
You two are really doing a nice job on that camper - I hope you truly enjoy the fruits of your labor in Sept.!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2016, 11:36:48 AM »
Never to much light, as stated in another thread!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2016, 10:33:32 AM »
Well been crazy here since last post. 90 yr old father in law has been in the hospital for the last 3 weeks! Darn near lost him twice. He has hairy cell leukemia that dr's are just letting run it's course at his age nothing you can do, then came down with pneumonia in both lungs! They live 80 miles from us in Cass City so my wife was up with her mother 86 yrs taking her to hospital every day. Then he got too sick for the small town hospital and was moved to Saginaw St. Mary's.  That's 40 miles from our house, So Wifey has been staying home and going to the hospital in the morning to catch the Dr's and get any news while the other sisters bring Mom around Noon and take her back around 7pm. My Wife is there till at least 3pm every day. This has been very hard on her! And of course with 8 kids everyone has an opinion on what should be done! So everything she does around the house the boy and I have been doing! Dinners , Shopping, Mowing the grass, its been nuts! He's starting to show some improvement, very slow going. If his lungs don't start working better he won't be able to come home! On Oxygen mask during the day and bi-pap mach. at night to help him breath. It's day by day He's a tough old bird, so I'm hoping he can get strong enough to come home or it be a peaceful end to a good long life. Prayers for my wife Karen its been very hard on her.

But I had Monday off, So I didn't like the corner where po backed onto a tree and covered it with caulk. I couldn't leve it alone!
So I opened up this can of worms!
Rotten wood on inside

Leak around bolts for lift asm

Had to take canvas down roof rack off, plan is to replace bad wood and make a 3' by 4' L bracket out of 1/8" to reinforce the corner and put all back together when I get some time!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »
Nice you are keeping busy. Good luck and prayers on the FIL.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2016, 06:39:19 PM »
Ouch!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2016, 08:13:54 PM »
You'll sleep better knowing it's done right. Sorry to hear about FIL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2017, 08:26:08 AM »
Bumping this for an update on the camper? Still on track for AK in July/August kampfitt?

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2017, 08:47:02 AM »
Yea we're still on leaving July 22nd return on Sept 17th!! But we've been side tracked with the oldest son's farm house he bought. Hopefully we'll be done with the remodel so I can get back on the last few things I want to do to the truck and camper before we leave will post some updates as soon as I get back at the camper!

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »
Well finally got some time back on the camper, D day is coming up fast! Started replacing rotten wood in the corner. Bought one of those kreg jigs to screw the corner together, a little glue and 2 screws and it's solid!

Then put in this aluminum brace with 32 #10 x 3/4" screws!

Boss making sure I do it right! and lend a hand when I need it.

Also put a Westin HDX Grill Guard on the truck, hopefully if we hit something it will stay out of the rad!! Had to take grill out to get at bumper bolts to install guard mounts and take out tow hooks and trim away some plastic for lower mounts.

And installed Torklift Stableloads on the truck simple to put on lower overload and all mechanical no air bags or lines. Truck sits level with camper loaded now.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2017, 12:10:44 PM »
 :likebutton: Looking good!

+1 on the grille guard. Even smaller animals can cause a puncture which can ruin your day.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »
Forgot finished pics of repair :facepalm:

Didn't get any of canvas back on will have to get more of it with top up and anything else we do.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2017, 04:35:04 PM »
Getting there!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »
Drive report:  Took rig to work last 2 days, wife needed the Equinox for errands. Lots of wind here 25mph with gusts to 35, truck handled the camper with ease :grin: The stable loads really work! Truck sit level with camper and no sway. Next up is storage boxes 1 between cab and camper on top of box rails over aux tank, will be 12" x 24" x 72" doors on each end. I'll put grill, lawn chairs, level blocks, and water hose here, on Drivers rear of camper overhang there's a door from inside that should open into the box if you have a long bed truck but with my setup it opens to nothing!  Going to have son build a alum. box at work that's 17" x 22" x 27" that we'll use for shoes and dirty clothes. Still have to run large charge line from alt. to box of truck with 100 amp 2 pole plug then put cord on camper to battery, this should give me good quick recharge of camper battery whenever we drive truck.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »
Looking good.
More info on the stable loads please.
I keep debating bags, 1 ton springs, etc.
These have me intrigued.
Sam

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »
Yea I like the stableload's all mechanical, I had to take out the round plastic disk on each end of the over load. then the bottom plate bolts on thru that hole, then the top plates are put together with 2 or 3 angled plates to fill the gap so you're on the overload spring before you put any weight in the truck. They turn in or out with a 3/8th ratchet here's it out

and turned in

only downside is about same price as air bags I paid $273 off amazon
Here's Torklift's  website
http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/suspension/stableload

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
Here's a few pics of camper on truck with stable loads in sits nice and level.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2017, 12:15:06 PM »
Maybe you covered it, but why is it so far back in the bed?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2017, 01:10:46 PM »
Interesting setup. The camper must not be too heavy to be able to set it so far back in the bed. Folks had a 9ft camper many years ago and that thing controlled the 3/4 truck, I just kind of herded it along. Nice for hauling the boat or a week hunting but really a pain to get to and from the destination. Have a nice trip to Alaska, should be a wonderful experience.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »
Maybe you covered it, but why is it so far back in the bed?

He's putting storage in the front, and he has an aux tank.

Next up is storage boxes 1 between cab and camper on top of box rails over aux tank, will be 12" x 24" x 72" doors on each end. I'll put grill, lawn chairs, level blocks, and water hose here, on Drivers rear of camper overhang there's a door from inside that should open into the box if you have a long bed truck but with my setup it opens to nothing!  Going to have son build a alum. box at work that's 17" x 22" x 27" that we'll use for shoes and dirty clothes. Still have to run large charge line from alt. to box of truck with 100 amp 2 pole plug then put cord on camper to battery, this should give me good quick recharge of camper battery whenever we drive truck.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »
Yea, I have an RDS 45 gal aux tank because the 26 gal won't get you far! The camper weighs less than 1500 lbs. so not very heavy, truck handles the thing fine even in the wind.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2017, 08:41:32 AM »
Well a little more progress d-day is coming fast! Wanted to up grade charging back to camper battery. I bought a 200 amp continuous duty relay and 100 amp fuse block, 25 ft #4 awg wire, 200 amp 2 pole plug for inside box to camper.  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005K2429I/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IBXV51KJPV50A&colid=4LZ4VQGEYDW5
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KD26VMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNE4EI4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Installed Plug in the box

Then ran wires up to my solenoid and to fuse then Battery, relay to power up only when truck is running so I don't run truck battery down at night.

Will be working on camper end tonight.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2017, 09:02:26 PM »
Another solution to your battery charging could be:

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/77056/Cole-Hersee-48122-Battery-Isolator-140A-/

It allows your system to charge the camper battery without allowing your camper battery to discharge your truck battery.  Solid state solution.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »
Yea that would work but a little bigger to fit under the hood somewhere. Getting ready to leave this Fri after work! Lots of stuff and so little time. Large cross box above fuel tank is on and done, left rear side box is on  adds lots of storage from the inside!!  oil changed ,fuel filter changed, tires rotated, Backseat removed for more storage! built shelves with a slot in drivers side so solar panel can slide in and tools, jack, air comp. can go behind drivers seat. And in all this Wifey had her physical last week and Dr didn't like her EKG!! So off for tests this week, she had stress test on Mon that went good and has echocardiogram on Wed then get results on Thur!! Nothing like last min.!!Then hopefully  ok to go. And in all this help son move into the farmhouse finely !! I'll try to get some pics up of rig before we go.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2017, 11:16:55 AM »
Good luck on the trip and all the last minute stuff. I tend to pack the same way.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »
This trip is going to be epic!

Best to you two, and blessings as well.

We here will lift you in prayer for safe travels and a renewed spirit.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »
You guys have a great safe trip!
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2017, 07:11:53 AM »
Be safe and update us along the way with pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2017, 07:48:40 AM »
Looking forward to the updates and pics.  Praying for the wife's good test results and your safe trip.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2017, 07:55:53 AM »
Here's the storage box above the fuel tank, forgot to take pics while we were working on it!
And the side box my son built for more inside storage.
Also if anyone wast to PM me your cell number I would text a few pics for you to post of the highlights.
We'll be putting the camper on tonight I'll get some pics.
And thanks for the prayers for my wife, so far so good on the test 1 more today and she should be good to go!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:57:42 AM by kampfitt »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
That's some good craftmanship

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2017, 01:28:05 PM »
Nice work. Never enough storage!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
Nice work. Never enough storage!
X2!
Sam

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
Well here it is on the truck!! Loading everything up, The cross box has chairs, grill, table, outdoor patio mat, 2 gal washer fluid, 2 sets level blocks and gray water tote!! The shelves in the back of truck has jack, tool bag, solar panel, back packs, hiking poles, spare parts for truck, 2 totes with extra canned or dry food, 2 cases of water, and tote for dirty clothes!! Momma is in charge of inside I have no idea whats in there!! :undecided: I'm going to try and hit the Cat scale near me when we leave just to see what it weights  :tongue:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:51:20 AM by kampfitt »

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
That looks really great. Prayers sent for good news on your wife's health and a safe trip. I will be watching this for updates on your journey!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »
Well thought out.

You'll be north of 10K on the scales.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »
With all that loaded up. 10k for sure.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
It's setting level but I think it'll be right at 10K. Also Good News on Wifey's test all came back normal! Good to Go :grin:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal