VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Tires, Wheels, and Suspension

Deere 2320 tire swap issue

<< < (14/14)

moto123:
Yippee ... now just need to get HR to add it to my business cards!  First recipient of an award no-one has heard about.  I feel like an actor or a professional athlete that gets an award for just doing their job.

Flyin6:
Well, congratulations anyway!

TexasRedNeck:
Don't forget to update your LinkedIn profile too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cudakidd53:
My father just gave out "atta boy"s and "awe sh@$"s......RMTWSSP is much more prestigious and luckily, there are no viable "smacks upside the head" in cyberspace......yet!

moto123:
Update on the tractor.  The wheels and tires are still working awesome.  Unfortunately they are helping me discover the other weak points in this tractor's design.  Last night the driveshaft between the engine and transaxle came apart.  I was at full RPM at the time so the result was quite dramatic.  After the initial explosion the engine continued to rotate the now disconnected driveshaft for a few seconds until I could get it shut down.  It was flopping around and banging into everything making quite a racket.

After further investigation, the rubber motor mounts isolate the motor from the frame and allow some movement.  When the tractor is pointed down a steep hill the engine can shift forward far enough from gravity to pull the driveshaft yoke almost completely off the transaxle input shaft.  Without enough spline length left, they bind up and it spits the driveshaft off.  Damaged several of the splines inside the yoke but luckily the transaxle shaft appears to have very little damage.  Worse yet, when the driveshaft bound up it forced the engine even further forward causing it to contact the radiator.  I now have large puddle beneath the tractor and will remove the radiator to examine.  I suspect it is punctured.

So what did I do wrong to cause this?  I can't find anything.  I was operating nose down on a steep hill and only barely creeping forward.  I assumed the tractor would be designed to tolerate this operating angle but apparently not.  Going uphill would be fine as the engine and driveshaft are forced rearward even further onto the splined shaft.

Anyway the only reason I bothered posting is that through some internet research I have found that this driveline is a very common failure for the 2320 model.  My failure didn't follow this pattern but I thought I would post info anyway.  Deere forgot to include in the service manual that these U-joints need to be greased.  And the design of it all is not ideal.  They are very hard to get to.  Lucky for you big Don, the 2720 that you have is a different design.  Yours is straight from the engine to the transaxle.  On the 2320 they used two u-joints to offset the engine from the transaxle which allowed a more flat operator station.   I would have gladly accepted the "hump" in the operator station instead of this driveshaft.  At a minimum the part alone is $685.

Anyone else out there with a 2320 please pay attention to any increase in vibration and avoid going forward downhill.  There is a youtube video on how to remove the driveshaft and replace just the u-joints.  This also applies to a few other tractors, I think the 2305 and 4100 series?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version