TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

Cabin for the hide discussion

(1/9) > >>

Flyin6:
Knowing that I have a large host of really smart folks here, you too Shawn, I thought we'd discuss what the cabin plan might be for my hide.

So here's the parameters:

1. I think that I'll be moving there permanently within a couple years, so it needs to function like a normal family home

2. I think it should be a single level like a farm house, or Cape Cod, or rustic cabin, but with pitched up roofs, vaulted spaces to build in as rooms and have a dormer or two.

3. I want some windows up high so I can quickly scan the surrounding property

4. I want a basement. Part of it will be secret, accessed by a hidden door.

5. I want a safe room and perhaps an exit tunnel

6. I want a real stone/concrete fireplace perhaps centrally located so the mass of the thing will radiate heat all over.

7. It will have a variety of power and heat sources. Ultimately it needs to be self sufficient with its own water and own power, completely off grid.

8. I want a master bedroom and two additional bathrooms on the main floor, and another bedroom in the basement.

9. It will likely be a walk out basement due to the slope of the hilltop it will sit on

10. I want a wrap around porch

11. On the wrap around porch I want a portion screened in for three season outdoor living

12. It can be stick built or pole barn style, be wood/brick/stone/vinyl, shakes/whatever exterior.

13. I want to use a lot of the native wood in its construction

14. It does not have to meet any building codes, as there are no inspections required in that part of the Tucky.

15. It should have 2.5 bathrooms

16. A cistern and rain collection system will supply some of the water, the well 1/4 mile away will supply the rest.

17. It will have an attached garage, say 2-3 car (For her)

18. It will have an open kitchen with recycled/rebuilt old gas appliances.

19. It needs to comfortably house at least two families in a crisis, as I expect people will be coming.

20. Basement will be poured concrete, 8"-10" 3500-5000psi walls for ballistic protection.

21. Have a vault

22. I'd like a cupola or observation deck up high with a pole to attach an additional wind mill to.

23. Cabinets and doors will all be reclaimed/recycled, or home made

24. Cost is to be held very low

25. I will be the contractor and sub all the work out that I can't do

26. I have the shed already, but will build a concrete 48 X 64 barn for working on things in.

27. Heat from Fireplace, Wood stove, Wood boiler, Electric heat pump.

28. Hot water will be solar heated, and we will have an instant hot water propane heater as well.

29. The use of lots of wood, glass and rock

30. Maximum fireproofing through use of sprays, fire retardant materials and similar technology.

31. Square footage of main floor of 2000 sq/ft. ish. Square footage does not include the basement

32. Electricity from A. The Grid, B. Generator, C. My own power room of batteries fed from solar cells and wind mills

That's what I am thinking around at the moment.

Discussion is welcome on any or all of my thoughts. Let's pull this apart, turn it inside out, come up with some ideas, and if it all works out, I'll build it down there, and you boneheads can come and drink quoffee with me there!

stlaser:
Bout time you came around to my line of thinking, believe we discussed this idea a few years back. Wish I could do the same but at present time it is not an option.

1 Good idea

2-3 Single peak (costs will be least and easy to build), A-frame or steeper roof design, second floor balconies at each end extended out past roof line will give you 360 degree visibility.

4-5 Hire an out of state concrete guy to do the work. I would also consult with an engineer or architect on this and get the plan incorporating all of your want list. Probably the most complicated part of this build. You do not want to be reworking the crete after it's poured you want all holes and inserts incorporated into this before it's poured. With the amount of systems etc there needs to be a solid plan and even so you will probably have something that will need to be reworked. Single largest cost for build is this foundation. Plan, rework plan and do it again before you start.

6 Good idea, also outsource this part. Other than this and basement rest you can do and if needed call in for help from guys you trust. Plenty here who would help you Don. I know you have problem doing so but plenty have offered. Use the guys you have vetted, that's right we know how you operate........

7-19 Nothing difficult, do it all yourself or with help mentioned in 6

20-21 See 4-5 recommendations

22 See 2-3 recommendations

23-32 Nothing hard just time consuming, builds should be put on hold to a lot all time to this if you want to meet your time frame of a two year move in. I built our first home (1600 sq ft ranch) by myself with little help from friends when I was 24 (excluding excavation of basement and foundation). It took me well over 7 months while I was working a 40 hour week job. I killed myself and I worked quickly and efficiently at that young age. I also was very well versed in construction and techniques by then. You are not 24 and this is a much larger project. I was also in peak shape prior to starting. Planning things out is the biggest hurdle at this point, get things lined up and in a row now. A lot of the systems you need to familiarize yourself with now as those are things that will consume the most time when installing as they are not the "norm" people have info on these systems but not the average contractor etc like most other new home builds.

Only other thing I have to question is a well supplying house 1/4 mile away? Back up I would say is ok, but you may want different setup from the get go........ You have my number if you need help. I like it!

Bear9350:
I don't think "cabin" is appropriate for what you described.  When I remodeled I did nearly everything with the help of family and friends.  I did hire out for HVAC, plumbing and insulation and mudding the drywall.  I didn't do any foundation work but did put some new trusses up.  If I really wanted I think I could have done the plumbing myself also.  If I was doing it again I would have paid to have the drywall hung.  Instead of taking 3 weeks it would have got done in 2 days tops.

Not sure what you are thinking for a floor plan but we went through a couple different designers before finding one that was really getting what we wanted.  Of course we were able to steal some ideas from those we didn't like and modified some as we went.

Not sure what you mean by using native wood.  I know you mentioned wanting a saw mill before.  You planning on milling your own lumber?

I would look into putting in a second well.  A 1/4 mile would be a long ways to push water, especially if you are relying on off grid power.  Depending on the depth they need to drill it doesn't have to be to expensive.  Call up a company and ask how far they normally have to drill in your area. 

stlaser:
If I lived in the tuck I would use that nice pine tongue n groove car siding for all of the walls. It's the way my father in law builds their cabins in TN over by Sevierville...... No mudding or drywall to worry about.

Bob Smith:
Ever do any witching/dowsing for water? I know first hand it works, not only water wells and piping, but gold nuggets also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version