Hello Guest

Author Topic: Adding a shelf to the Shell.  (Read 2197 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Adding a shelf to the Shell.
« on: July 11, 2016, 02:13:05 AM »
Never seem to have enough room in the shell as I carry alot like Don so real "available" packing space is limited. Now I will agree I do over do it some, but I would rather have than not.

I do have a bed slider which helps some, but you must keep it all from sliding around and packing "up" so it doesn't slide around.

So with a short bed (6.5ft) I figured about 1/2 of that could be a shelf. The 1st pic here is the inside with all the normal stuff.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:14:01 AM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a shelf to the Shell.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 02:20:12 AM »
So I had a couple pieces of uni-strut I cut to fit across the rear 2 shell clamp bolts. I wrapped the ends in duck tape and just used the stock bolts.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 03:04:25 AM »
Then I added some 7/16 OSB on top, using wire ties to hold it down. Then added a 1x1.5 strip to the rear for a lip using screws to hold it on. There are also strips of OSB on the edges and a piece between the boards to keep the flex down.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:05:27 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 03:07:30 AM »
I did want some tie downs so I added eye bolts in the 4 corners (only thing I bought for this). That was about it and it works well.

The original idea was to make it a slider too, but I didn't have the time before my trip. I did buy 36in 250lb drawer slides for it, so that is next.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:16:03 AM »
Looks good.  How much space does the slider take from your bed? Those are pretty thick aren't they

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »
The bed slide takes about 4 inches but being able to load once and not crawl in makes the loss a fair trade off. Plus you can load longer items and leave it out to help. (they don't recommend it)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 12:16:25 AM »
Forgive me for possibly stating the obvious but given the height of the shelf (head level) it would be nice to see some protection against whatever is on that shelf from going through the back glass if you were to have a front end collision. Unfortunately, I work a lot of wrecks and have seen airborne cargo cause serious injuries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 05:41:47 PM »
he's got a solid point there JR. fab you up a headache rack and protect that noggin. I like the shelf a lot though, nice work.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 08:59:31 PM »
Have you seen that noggin!?  More like protect the cargo from his noggin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 11:50:36 PM »
I just put light stuff up there. Normally sleeping bags, mats or chairs. Nothing to really hit me or the passengers in the noggin.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal