TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

Re-tiling my bathroom floor

(1/8) > >>

EL TATE:
Anyone on here with some tile experience game to lend an FNG some insight? 90% of my center two rows are cracked, grout is missing/falling out, and the tiles are loose and barely hanging in there. It looks like I could tackle this one myself, but I don't want to dive in uneducated and make rookie mistakes. 11-23/32 x 11-23/32 square tile on the floor including cut tile. assuming i'll need a full piece for each one currently in place I'm looking at 32 pieces, plus 10 for screw ups sound right? I don't believe any concrete backing was used in the original application and they were laid directly on the subfloor. i'll be remedying that, but any other tips/tricks suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BobbyB:

--- Quote from: EL TATE on August 11, 2016, 11:52:50 AM ---Anyone on here with some tile experience game to lend an FNG some insight? 90% of my center two rows are cracked, grout is missing/falling out, and the tiles are loose and barely hanging in there. It looks like I could tackle this one myself, but I don't want to dive in uneducated and make rookie mistakes. 11-23/32 x 11-23/32 square tile on the floor including cut tile. assuming i'll need a full piece for each one currently in place I'm looking at 32 pieces, plus 10 for screw ups sound right? I don't believe any concrete backing was used in the original application and they were laid directly on the subfloor. i'll be remedying that, but any other tips/tricks suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--- End quote ---

You wanting to put tile back into the places or replace all the tile? I helped my parents put in tile and then a few years later, break it all out and put the wood laminate flooring in.

EL TATE:
we've got wood everywhere else upstairs, then hallway and 2 bedrooms are carpet w/ tile to contrast in the guest and master bath. both need replacing but the guest is completely shot. I want to go with tile, but done right this time.

BobbyB:

--- Quote from: EL TATE on August 11, 2016, 12:37:29 PM ---we've got wood everywhere else upstairs, then hallway and 2 bedrooms are carpet w/ tile to contrast in the guest and master bath. both need replacing but the guest is completely shot. I want to go with tile, but done right this time.

--- End quote ---

Got ya. I remember breaking the tiles apart and taking it out, the installing...not so much.

KensAuto:
You pulling All of the tile? I have a little experience with tile. It's a little hard to do door jams without a saw, but laying tile is a remedial job at best.....ie...If i can do it, you can do it! hardest part is keeping them level..make the mud too thick, they won't "mallet" down, too thin, and they "fall" lower than the surrounding ones.
Chalk line it out to keep them straight, and pre-lay some in the middle to make sure it will work out.Oh, and knee pads are a must!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version