Hello Guest

Author Topic: Car Hauler Trailer Build  (Read 31755 times)

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Car Hauler Trailer Build
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2017, 06:49:26 AM »
Well, I got tired of trying to see joints I was going to weld with the frame 6" above the floor, so I lifted the ends up with the Kubota, and now it's 38" off the floor!

Should be much nicer on my back too!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2017, 07:05:03 AM »
That's a wonderful idea.  One of the best ways to improve the quality and reduce fatigue is getting your work in a comfortable position.  (this is more true as I get older.....)
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
Sounds about the same height I did my bumper at.
Watch out for the Sparks between your legs once you sit on a chair or stool... :rolleyes:

Much better height for sure.
You'll end up sitting, but will be exponentially longer, and you'll be able to see for sure.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
I'm so glad I raised this frame off the ground, so nice to be able to sit and weld!

Here's a pic of my vertical up welds, I think they look ok. It's not my favorite weld to do, but much better when I can sit and do it at eye level!

Here's two different cross members. Each bead has a little bump in it where I have to run over the existing tack, which was done with flux core wire, but it's not too terrible.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:18:14 AM by rcampbell »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
On your vertical up are you doing a Texas 2 step with your gun vertically?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2017, 11:52:21 AM »
Holding as vertical as I can and doing inverted V, is that the same as texas 2 step?

Here's a diagram of what I'm doing:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:01:48 PM by rcampbell »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2017, 01:00:56 PM »
Penetration looks OK, but shouldn't have the high bead down the center. I think you need a little more heat and clean the weld area better past the coating.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2017, 01:12:19 PM »
Penetration looks OK, but shouldn't have the high bead down the center. I think you need a little more heat and clean the weld area better past the coating.

I was sorta thinking that as well. Perhaps I'll try bumping up the volts and see what happens. The wire speed is about as fast as I'd want it, and perhaps that's part of the problem too, that I could just be moving the gun along a little faster? I tried a lower wire speed, but it just sounds...well too slow!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2017, 01:15:06 PM »
You need bare metal, clean it up some.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »
You need bare metal, clean it up some.

Yeah I know it should be a lot cleaner. Problem is they are all tacked in place. I suppose I could/should pop them off on at a time, clean up, re-tack and then fully weld. Well at least the 8 of 13 that aren't welded yet that is!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2017, 01:27:48 PM »
Like painting, prep is 1/2 the work. Get a HF scaler, that may scrape it off. Many way to do it now, just not as easy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
I'm not good at reading welds from a picture alone but your weld seems small. I think you need to crank heat and speed up while making your pattern larger and moving faster.  Make sense?  Cleaning everything beforehand would have been best but you should be able to dial in so that it isn't needed.

I always have a hard time doing a vertical up weld.  I seem to be able to control the puddle better going down.  You just need to make sure you keep ahead of the puddle. 

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2017, 06:02:13 PM »
Holding as vertical as I can and doing inverted V, is that the same as texas 2 step?

Here's a diagram of what I'm doing:

A lot depends on your settings / machine. Texas 2 step is more of a quick up then drop back & fill. Then quick up farther then back and fill. Kinda preheats the metal as you go. What you're doing is more of a side to side weave & depending on machine may be what you need to do.

Edit: metal shouldn't need to be prepped more than it is. Crank your heat and or move slower. If you can't burn through a little mill scale then you have other issues.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:04:41 PM by stlaser »

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »
I knocked off and cleaned up the remaining two thirds of the cross members, mostly to see if the welds would be a little different/better. It actually didn't take much time. I figured I'll have no other better opportunity, and worse case, the welds looks the same, nothing to lose really!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »
Much better. The welds will be cleaner and you will be happier.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2017, 10:13:47 PM »
They should be better.
I'm with the others, more heat will also help.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2017, 05:27:22 PM »
rcampbell, how do you like that compressor? I've never heard of the Omega brand.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »
rcampbell, how do you like that compressor? I've never heard of the Omega brand.

It's been great! It's a company here in Canada, in Ontario. They do more of the industrial type stuff, but also contractor stuff too. Mine is from the professional series.

http://omegacompressors.com/compressors/professional/

Mine is the PK6560V model, which is really more compressor than I need, but not really :) I've been very happy with it for sure.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2017, 01:47:47 PM »
Ahhh... I didn't realize you are in Canada, guess that's why I haven't heard of them  :grin:

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2017, 11:38:07 AM »
Just a quick update. welded in the cross members that I cleaned up with the grinder. The welds look pretty good I think, I'm happy with them.

Think there's be any benefit to welding inside the C on the cross members as well, or would web and flange on the outside only be ok?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2017, 11:58:20 AM »
Welds look good, if you're not opposed I would fully weld them all the way around. In areas where salt & rust are an issue I think it will make the trailer last longer. If not that's a spot where crap can get in & start deteriorating the joint. If it was a non structural spot I would recommend at very minimum caulk the spots that you didn't weld prior to paint.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2017, 12:24:08 PM »
Welds look good, if you're not opposed I would fully weld them all the way around. In areas where salt & rust are an issue I think it will make the trailer last longer. If not that's a spot where crap can get in & start deteriorating the joint. If it was a non structural spot I would recommend at very minimum caulk the spots that you didn't weld prior to paint.

Yeah that's along the same lines as I was thinking as well. Probably won't need it for strength, but will seal up the little nooks and crannies better.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »
Laying up the tongue pieces now. Gonna get them in place and centered etc, and then tack them into place. After they are tacked and I have cut the notches I can bend around the ends of the wrapped tongue and weld them into place as well. My angle is a little less than 50 deg, more like 40 or 45, but i think it will be fine, as I'm not using a 50 deg coupler anyway. I'm welding an adjustable coupler, that is basically 12 inches of vertical channel with a bunch of holes in it.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:00:58 PM by rcampbell »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2017, 01:56:10 PM »
Good call on the adjustable coupler. My dump trailer has that, changing between trucks is quick and easy as long as the wrenches stay in the tool box.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2017, 02:43:34 PM »
Same here.  It is a great feature on my equipment trailer.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »
Pintle ring is a great addition if you don't want every long lost "friend" trying to borrow your trailer. Gooseneck is even better for this imo....

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2017, 05:30:48 PM »
Pintle ring is a great addition if you don't want every long lost "friend" trying to borrow your trailer. Gooseneck is even better for this imo....

You know, that had crossed my mind. If I ever get a bigger truck/trailer combo, I'm thinking it'll be a goose neck trailer for sure.

Got my tongue bent and tacked on.  Each side of the tongue measures the same distance to the front corner of the trailer, and everything seems to be squared up nicely.

One side...

The other side...

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »
Another one of my dumb questions but you are measuring from hub (front axle) on each side to the front / center of tongue to make sure it pulls straight? Some guys even have the passengers' side a little shorter (1/16 to an 1/8") to help with crown built into most roads. I've never done that for the record but have heard of guys doing it that have built a lot of trailers.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:56:38 PM by stlaser »

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2017, 06:06:22 PM »
Another one of my dumb questions but you are measuring from hub (front axle) on each side to the front / center of tongue to make sure it pulls straight? Some guys even have the passengers' side a little shorter (1/16 to an 1/8") to help with crown built into most roads. I've never done that for the record but have heard of guys doing it that have built a lot of trailers.

I will yes, once I get the axles up on the springs. I'll do a final check of a few things to make sure it's all still square and then sew it up good and solid. I'll then grind off any sharp corners on the bottom and paint the bottom while it's still upside down.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2017, 06:46:03 PM »
 :likebutton:

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2017, 07:29:40 PM »
I bolted on the front axle, and measured from front side of tongue to center of opposite axle. Did both sides, and they were exactly (well 1mm or less in the difference) the same. So I welded on the angle piece of the tongue to the frame. I will clean off the frame and wrapped part of the tongue tomorrow and fully weld up what I can while it's still upside down.

I then trimmed the front of the tongue so it's flat. And I'm debating the best way to weld on my hitch mount. I'm thinking either contour it so that it fits nicely. Or weld some plate on and then well the hitch mount to the plate. Any thoughts?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2017, 07:34:22 PM »
If you weld both outside & inside that channel vertically it won't go anywhere. Only other thing I might do is cut a gusset to lay on top & bottom of a-frame then weld it on. Only would need to be 6" front to rear & if adjustable channel extends above or below then you could add additional vertical gusset to it as well.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2017, 07:40:54 PM »
If you weld both outside & inside that channel vertically it won't go anywhere. Only other thing I might do is cut a gusset to lay on top & bottom of a-frame then weld it on. Only would need to be 6" front to rear & if adjustable channel extends above or below then you could add additional vertical gusset to it as well.

I will definitely gusset the top half. There will be probably 3 holes above the tongue. I'm hoping if I contour the tongue a little to the round edges sit back into it a little better it will close up those gaps some.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »
That, or triple pass it. Triple the inside first then you may be able to clean up outside with just a double pass or maybe a single?

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2017, 08:45:48 PM »
I'd contour it in a bit, then as Shawn says triple pass the inside, gusset too and bottom, and clean and weld the outside with whatever it takes.

Verticals may be overkill, but I'd do them as well.
Overkill is not a bad thing in some areas, and this would be o e of them IMO.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »
That looks like a pretty healthy gap in the pic.   I would try to set it back some I'm the channel to close up the gap.  Make sure you don't go to far and cause an interference with the coupler though.  Then make a few passes on the inside and finish up on the outside.  You should be able to weld all four sides on both the inside and the outside.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2017, 09:04:52 PM »
If I remember correctly you are going to need to use a grinder to fit it?  What size wire are you running and do you have a copper backer bar?  If your running .035 and have a backer I would probably just fill it and run a few extra passes on each side.  Would prevent a lot of screwing around with the grinder.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2017, 09:12:21 PM »
I think the angle of the pic makes the gap look worse than it is, but not being there we don't know. Bottom line, weld it up & it isn't gunna fall off......

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2017, 09:13:54 PM »
Contour and gusset. Never worry about it again.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
Contoured the tongue this morning, and got things fitted up. I didn't tack it into place, because then the garage door won't close! lol

But I cleaned up the metal and am ready to weld, will just have to try and move everything back a little. I put a bolt in to make sure I didn't get so deep as to not allow the nut to thread on properly.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2017, 10:00:18 AM »
Contour looks good, you may want to grind the front vertical edge of those channels a little more. In doing so you would give yourself a nice area to lay an inside 90 degree weld & fill it in making it look very clean.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2017, 10:32:17 AM »
Contour looks good, you may want to grind the front vertical edge of those channels a little more. In doing so you would give yourself a nice area to lay an inside 90 degree weld & fill it in making it look very clean.

Not a bad idea at all, I'll give it a try!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2017, 03:31:32 PM »
X2.
Will finish up very nicely.

Looks like you've got a great fit now too.
Sam

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2017, 04:07:03 PM »
X2.
Will finish up very nicely.

Looks like you've got a great fit now too.

I got thinking about this more. Do you guys just mean to grind it back more, or  do you mean to angle the edges?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »
Grind the front vertical edge of the channel so it is parallel with the front of trailer side to side. So basically you will be grinding the channel back so you can see the full thickness (actually a bit more as the channel is on an angle) of the channel next to that formed hitch mount if you are standing in front of the trailer looking at it. Make sense?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »
Even though it is heavy, I would try to roll the trailer on its side for the welding. With clean metal, a good V and gravity it will be solid!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »
Grind the front vertical edge of the channel so it is parallel with the front of trailer side to side. So basically you will be grinding the channel back so you can see the full thickness (actually a bit more as the channel is on an angle) of the channel next to that formed hitch mount if you are standing in front of the trailer looking at it. Make sense?

Yes ok I thought that's what you meant. I had it like that before I did the contouring. I trimmed the front of the tongue so that it was on a flat plane parallel with the front of the trailer. But I'll be sure to grind it as you suggest to make sure I have lots of surface area to weld to.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2017, 05:49:28 PM »

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »
Even though it is heavy, I would try to roll the trailer on its side for the welding. With clean metal, a good V and gravity it will be solid!

Yes I agree that's the way to do it for sure. I'd definitely want to weld is partially or brace it or something before I tip it over so that nothing sags or moves out of place. I actually thought I may weld the whole thing on the inside, and then flip it and do the outside (ie. visible) welds horizontally so that they are both strong and look nice.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2017, 10:59:07 PM »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal