Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3  (Read 131177 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #350 on: November 17, 2016, 08:30:12 AM »
Well fresh air won't hurt, just glad it isn't to small.

I keep a little space heater in my TH for the winter so it doesn't get really cold in there since we watch movies in there time to time. That should work well under yours plus the fan will keep the air moving a little.

Did I see leaf springs in that pic above?
You did my concentration camp livin-in friend!

Those are the "new" (25 years old) leaves going in the front spring pack of Squareness...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #351 on: November 17, 2016, 08:39:46 AM »
Ooooh, a formal range set-up......not that I minded sitting a straddle cedar logs and all whilst taking your Springfield for a spin!  Hope to have my AR10 together well before the next visit and let you "review" it as a point/counterpoint to Bobby's, if we can arrange a meet-n-shoot this winter/spring!

Stove situation might be a pain - small fires build more creosote if you can't get it hot enough to warm the flue and draw.....I guess you're gonna have opened windows for "fresh air" this winter!

Would never have thought that the furnace would have been that hot to melt the squirrel cage without air movement to that extent!  Usually the battery would have kept the system going just fine, but being toast like I remember you mentioning previously would explain why!
I'd like to see you and some of the other knot-heads that lurk here down there in the winter, or spring, or summer or fall.

This time you'll have a bench to shoot from and a building with lights

and a pretty crapper!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 17, 2016, 09:40:48 AM »

and a pretty crapper!

Getting sorta sophisticated.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 17, 2016, 09:42:12 AM »

and a pretty crapper!

Getting sorta sophisticated.

A Marine got involved

He saw an unused strip of land...

The rest is history!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 09:42:49 AM by BobbyB »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 17, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »
Did you actually install the privy that you built........!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 17, 2016, 11:15:54 AM »
Haven't shot a deer in years nor had venison.

What batteries did you get?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:24:54 PM by BobbyB »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 17, 2016, 11:55:54 AM »
Did you actually install the privy that you built........!

We are not privy to that information......... :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:25:07 PM by BobbyB »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 17, 2016, 03:32:09 PM »
Thats a Crappy way of putting it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 17, 2016, 03:37:07 PM »
I can't get a hole dug to save my butt!

Tried to get Duane down there since spring to get it dug...he struck out. Then actually had a hoe on property and asked him. He had to leave for another job and I haven't seen hide nor hair of him since. Asked a concrete guy to punch a hole, put a 36" pipe in it and top it with a nice concrete pad. He must have fallen into a parallel universe cause I haven't heard from him either.

Now, I can't hand dig it because of all the big rocks. I don't own a back hoe or excavator (yet) so I can't do it. No one wants to work for money. I was thinking of waiting for lightening to strike and burn a hole...

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 17, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »
Can you rent a mini excavator for a day?  It cost me about $300 to rent one for 24 hours a few years back.  I had to dig up the septic system to repair the outlet pipe that had rotted and collapsed onto itself causing everything to back up into the basement.  Easily dug that hole and cleaned up a few other things that day.

I'm sure you could find a few things to use it for while you had it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:48:50 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 17, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »

Now thats a pun,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 17, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »

Tried to get Duane down there since spring to get it dug...he struck out. Then actually had a hoe on property and asked him. He had to leave for another job and I haven't seen hide nor hair of him since. Asked a concrete guy to punch a hole, put a 36" pipe in it and top it with a nice concrete pad. He must have fallen into a parallel universe cause I haven't heard from him either.

Now, I can't hand dig it because of all the big rocks. I don't own a back hoe or excavator (yet) so I can't do it. No one wants to work for money. I was thinking of waiting for lightening to strike and burn a hole...

Get that TNT permit yet? We could blow a hole thru them rocks!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 17, 2016, 10:57:16 PM »
Is the outhouse going to be uphill from the pond and the well????????

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 17, 2016, 11:13:47 PM »
Is the outhouse going to be uphill from the pond and the well????????
Very relevant and important point here!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 17, 2016, 11:19:48 PM »
You know it always flows downhill even without the military in charge.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 18, 2016, 08:15:32 AM »

Duane won't loan you his Kubota BX25? is he afraid of your normal carnage?  ::)
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 18, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »

I think we have a winner right here
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 18, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »

Probably!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 20, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »
I may be slow with this broken foot, but at least I do poor work!

Yep, slow me is, but I forged ahead with skirting up the camper in preparation for working and loving out of it all winter when I'm "Farmin'"

Man it was a chilly day. Temps ranged in and around freezing with a 16-20mph wind. That had two effects. It kept us pretty cold, and it made sails out of the foam board I had chosen to use as the skirting material.

Some notes on the rigid foam board insulation. I chose the DOW product, formular which comes in several densities. The basis stuff is  "150", followed by 250, and I think 450. The latter is strong enough to stand on with a saw horse at either end and is considered structural. The 150 stuff is typical of what you see used in home construction.

I chose a 1.5" board which boasts a R-7 insulating value and is pretty stiff. You can see it's a chunk:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 20, 2016, 10:40:12 AM »
The electricity is all but hooked up to the shed, which translates to my having power to the camper for a 24/7 heater unit os some sort.

But looking at the camper, which is a box on wheels designed to have wind flow all around and under it, it qualifies as a pretty decent heat sink. The type that gets rid of the heat you actually want to keep.

I have read enough to note that simply skirting the unit and eliminating the underside air flow goes a long way toward keeping the footsies warmer (And the pipes from bursting)

We started the project with a breakfast of bear-claws and apple fritters...Then we passed out from sugar overload and got started later on...

After the early morning nap we decided to lower and level the trailer. We removed the wheels and set the axles on 16 X 8 blocks with some cribbing. That got it lower and more stable, a good starting point

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 20, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »
We leveled it in the longitudinal axis but kept the south side about 1/2" higher to allow for settling. That side rests on the fill dirt that I tracked in during the summer

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 20, 2016, 10:43:50 AM »
The other support points were also bedded in with blocks worked down into the gravel

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 20, 2016, 10:46:34 AM »
I didn't have them at the moment but I will be adding four more scissors jacks next week outboard of the axles so that I get a very solidly supported structure in the unlikely event of some fat millennial visiting.

The foam board is neatly cut with a swift "Karate chop" if you are a ninja, or with a standard saw if you are a lesser man.

We are lesser men, so we used the saw

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 20, 2016, 10:50:54 AM »
The piece is cut into a parallelogram to fit the fall of the ground (Nothing in the Kintucky is level or flat)

Then worked up under the apron skirt. We started with laying in a PT 2 X 4 and hammering in 1/2" X 12" spikes we cut from rebar to anchor the bottom.

The pre-Ranger is in the process of:

1. knocking dents into the foam panel
2. Smashing his hand
3. Smashing his foot
4. Hitting his hand again
5. Asking dad to show him how to do it

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 20, 2016, 10:52:43 AM »
After taping the top with the aluminum duct tape and back filling with gravel, I realized I did not need to use the 2 X 4's as the gravel does a pretty smart job of holding that stuff right where you want it to remain.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 20, 2016, 10:54:11 AM »
It's sort of a jig-saw procedure of measuring fitting, taping and moving on to connect the many fascets of the side of that box

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 20, 2016, 10:56:04 AM »
It seems you have to cut around everything. But after the thousand cuts and tweaks the stuff fits in there just fine

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 20, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
Coming around the corner, I got a nice 8' run with no adjustments. It was sleeting on us at the time and the darned coyotes moved in to about 100 meters, so we gave up working and started shooting at the critters.

I am a bit concerned as they seem to be baiting the little pre ranger. He walked down the hill toward the range and one of them started doing the wounded animal cry. My little guy had his trusty 10-22 loaded up with CCi mini-mags so he was ready to do battle, but I recalled him. I may have to do something (to) those coyotes since they are just not backing down.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 20, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »
I watched a cool vid about how to paint that foam board to look like concrete. It turns out pretty, looking like distressed concrete in the end. That will likely wait until spring, as I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 20, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »
Coyote, electronic call, red light and remove them from their earthly existence. They have no use in my world, you are in fact the caretaker of the ground. Get at it already! :)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 20, 2016, 12:08:01 PM »
Looks like a reason to upgrade the scope on your .308 and adjust the ACOG on your M4 and wack 'em already!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 20, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »
ya, next time the boyz head off into the woods, they now have permission to take my M4 or my jazzed up Mossberg 930

I have not personally felt threatened by coyotes like this in the past.

But we have this other issue. Interbreeding of coyotes and wolves. Seems some braintrust in the dept of wildlife decided to release wolves in these parts to control the coyote population. Sort of like mixing dearborn base muslims with new syrian refugees...They just make more...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 20, 2016, 02:43:10 PM »
Using NV would be a natural there, plus would be good for other things.

Good thought on adding more jacks, but I would use the solid screw stands and maybe even get those tires off the ground if that is a permanent location.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 20, 2016, 02:55:04 PM »
Using NV would be a natural there, plus would be good for other things.

Good thought on adding more jacks, but I would use the solid screw stands and maybe even get those tires off the ground if that is a permanent location.
No tires!

Look at the pics my knucklehead friend

We removed the tires wheels

Figure I'll sell all five of them and buy some coyote killin ammo.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 20, 2016, 03:15:34 PM »
So you did. Had to go back and look, can just see that under the slide out.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 20, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »
I now have 5 ea tires/wheels to sell to the local Mexican low rider crowd!

Edit: We don't actually have a local Mexican low rider crowd...

Hmmm...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:32:34 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 20, 2016, 05:25:32 PM »

One word:
ANFO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 21, 2016, 06:30:45 AM »
Several years back when I started working for DOW, I worked at the plant here in TX that made that foam board but it was the blue variety from .5" residential sheathing all the way up to the 3" thick commercial grade freezer mate insulation. First time I have seen the purple stuff.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 21, 2016, 08:14:18 AM »
Maybe that's because chief likes pink!! ....at least I think that's a pink panther on the board. #pokesilvy1500

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:16:08 AM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 21, 2016, 04:50:16 PM »
I'm surprised to see that Don didn't replace that plastic squirrel cage fan with a metal equivalent...  But hopefully it just doesn't happen again. :)
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: November 21, 2016, 06:04:34 PM »
I'm surprised to see that Don didn't replace that plastic squirrel cage fan with a metal equivalent...  But hopefully it just doesn't happen again. :)
Didn't know there was an alternative???!!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 21, 2016, 06:09:24 PM »
Well there are certainly metal squirrel cage blowers... question is whether there is one that would have fit that unit. OE replacement was probably the easiest/quickest route to get you up and running again.

Now, for my DOT contribution.... what happened to the foot? Which thread did you share that story in?
Ryan

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 21, 2016, 06:12:16 PM »
He was leaping from a low flying helicopter with full kit while making hits on a moving target when a small child was about to be run over by a motorcycle so he performed a donkey kick on the bike to make it change course. This the injury to the foot.

Or something like that

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 21, 2016, 06:15:12 PM »
He was leaping from a low flying helicopter with full kit while making hits on a moving target when a small child was about to be run over by a motorcycle so he performed a donkey kick on the bike to make it change course. This the injury to the foot.

Or something like that

I'd buy it!  (or maybe I'm just really gullible)
Ryan

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 21, 2016, 06:26:54 PM »
Truth is, ya see, there was fifteen of em' comin' at me from all directions. I took out the first seven right away, but tripped over the eighth guy and messed up my foot, just as the others ran for their lives

Now that's what really happened!!!!!!! ;)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 21, 2016, 07:04:09 PM »
Truth is, ya see, there was fifteen of em' comin' at me from all directions. I took out the first seven right away, but tripped over the eighth guy and messed up my foot, just as the others ran for their lives

Now that's what really happened!!!!!!! ;)

I didn't realize we had that many witnesses to the wheelie incident or were you guys talking about a different foot accident? ???  ;D

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 21, 2016, 08:03:41 PM »
A wheelie huh... maybe i'll go check out the bike build thread for more info.  :D

Edit: Yup -- found it there. Ouch!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 09:09:51 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 21, 2016, 10:24:22 PM »
A wheelie huh... maybe i'll go check out the bike build thread for more info.  :D

Edit: Yup -- found it there. Ouch!
It came as a surprise. I throttled it to carry a short wheelie so my frau could vid it with the boyz in the background, but that DR stood straight up, like immediately, and came back over on me...THen the 15 guys attacked...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 22, 2016, 01:37:50 AM »
Wheres the popcorn,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #399 on: November 22, 2016, 07:52:24 AM »
It's not uncommon if there are domestic dogs marking territory for that to increase a coyote packs interest in an area. Just a FWIW type deal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal