Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3  (Read 130687 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #400 on: November 22, 2016, 11:48:54 AM »
It's not uncommon if there are domestic dogs marking territory for that to increase a coyote packs interest in an area. Just a FWIW type deal.
Could be, Duane and i were talking about it just this morning...

I found one den. It's actually in the old barn!

I think we are deciding on buying a coyote (wounded rabbit) call, gettin a couple of guys with M-4's on opposite sides of the ravine, and set to killin those things off. I want to cure some of the hides and spread around... ;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #401 on: November 22, 2016, 12:00:20 PM »
You should both be in tree stands since they are predators, they use their senses better than most animals.  You will also both have better fields of fire with less worry of a Cheney incident.  You might consider a twirling attractant with the call to help seal the deal too.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

OldKooT

« Reply #402 on: November 22, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »
Again just a FWIW.: Some ideas we use that we have found work the best.

I use a simple recording of a fawn looking for it's mom. Many "calls" are nice and have some success but Coyotes will not "gather" in larger numbers for a small meal.

We shoot .22-250 almost exclusively. The flat trajectory, resistance to wind buffeting, low recoil, fast follow up shots and the excellent expand ability on impact without pelt damage, is appreciated. And it also puts them down fast and hard. We will drag out the .204 when we have a perfect clear night with great moonlight and snow. The .204 is a wicked round for long fast flat shots, but it's vulnerability to wind is a issue here for us.

The layout is simple: We set the call up at a choke point that forces them to expose themselves approaching... but the call it's self is in some brush. This emboldens them...We usually shoot from about 200 or so yards...Head shots are best and taken if we can in an effort to minimize "warning yelps"  The .22-250 is a great expander so even less than ideal head shots can be used because of how fast it puts them down. Hole a yote all the way through... he will run around warning everything it's a bad scene. The 22-250 can be relied upon to do major internal damage and not produce a exit wound in most cases.

We will take all that arrive at a distance and then when it's clear no one else is coming to dinner I will grab the 45.70 and take as many in the brush as I can. This always results in flushing a few out into the open where they always pause to get a sniff...and the others will take a few more at this point. 

Also we only hunt them at full moon and clear nights...preferably with snow cover if possible.

My wife just shot her 200th Yote last week... three of us took down 29 in a hour of hunting that night.

But....depending on your local food source don't be surprised when 30 days latter they have regrouped and suddenly there are just as many.
Take what you can and apply it to your situation....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 22, 2016, 03:09:41 PM »
I second the 22-250, what we used back in Indiana. Guys who run them with dogs used a 10ga, the dogs would corner them in adjoining fence rows. It wasn't uncommon for a coyote to charge the handlers as such the 10ga did a nice job of knocking them back on their haunches.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 22, 2016, 03:49:39 PM »
Now deceased friend, from Norms neck of the woods (Nirobrara) used to run them with coursing hounds.........no weapon necessary........dogs would run them down and shred them then recall to the truck.  Somebody at a dog show thought it was cute once when a foo-foo dog got loose and ran free on the grounds of an outdoor show, running past a short pen with greyhounds in it.....if they only knew what they would witness had the hounds jumped the pen! :o

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

OldKooT

« Reply #405 on: November 22, 2016, 04:01:45 PM »
I have never seen that done, but I can imagine it would be effective. I have seen what those hounds can do to a rabbit or fox when loose. And I know they sure like to chase deer.

Our brain damaged mutt only chases Badgers..he has issues.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 22, 2016, 05:03:39 PM »
Norm, what happens if the dog gets close to one of those badgers, bet it is less than fun for him at that point.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 22, 2016, 06:23:08 PM »
Again just a FWIW.: Some ideas we use that we have found work the best.

I use a simple recording of a fawn looking for it's mom. Many "calls" are nice and have some success but Coyotes will not "gather" in larger numbers for a small meal.

We shoot .22-250 almost exclusively. The flat trajectory, resistance to wind buffeting, low recoil, fast follow up shots and the excellent expand ability on impact without pelt damage, is appreciated. And it also puts them down fast and hard. We will drag out the .204 when we have a perfect clear night with great moonlight and snow. The .204 is a wicked round for long fast flat shots, but it's vulnerability to wind is a issue here for us.

The layout is simple: We set the call up at a choke point that forces them to expose themselves approaching... but the call it's self is in some brush. This emboldens them...We usually shoot from about 200 or so yards...Head shots are best and taken if we can in an effort to minimize "warning yelps"  The .22-250 is a great expander so even less than ideal head shots can be used because of how fast it puts them down. Hole a yote all the way through... he will run around warning everything it's a bad scene. The 22-250 can be relied upon to do major internal damage and not produce a exit wound in most cases.

We will take all that arrive at a distance and then when it's clear no one else is coming to dinner I will grab the 45.70 and take as many in the brush as I can. This always results in flushing a few out into the open where they always pause to get a sniff...and the others will take a few more at this point. 

Also we only hunt them at full moon and clear nights...preferably with snow cover if possible.

My wife just shot her 200th Yote last week... three of us took down 29 in a hour of hunting that night.

But....depending on your local food source don't be surprised when 30 days latter they have regrouped and suddenly there are just as many.
Take what you can and apply it to your situation....

I think they have been snacking on my turkeys

Last winter I counted 38. During the spring I would usually run into them on the "Road" or in the field. In the mornings they could be heard making a racket. Then around June the Coyotes moved in. I have not seen many of the big birds since. That's disappointing. Those turkeys were magnificent!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 22, 2016, 06:54:12 PM »
Turkeys are pretty smart & roost in trees, they may have run them off but I doubt they were decimated by coyotes.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 22, 2016, 09:43:13 PM »
Turkeys are pretty smart & roost in trees, they may have run them off but I doubt they were decimated by coyotes.
The Coyotes wait around beneath the roost spots, for those big birds to come down.

Was talking just this afternoon to Duane about that. He has been watching coyotes run through his deer killin' area

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 23, 2016, 12:22:18 AM »
29 in an hour, better than shooting squirls! What a blast.

Badger and a dog, feel sorry for the dog.

Think you would be OK using the m4 though with NV, reason to buy that digital scope.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 23, 2016, 12:40:32 AM »
The Coyotes wait around beneath the roost spots, for those big birds to come down.

Was talking just this afternoon to Duane about that. He has been watching coyotes run through his deer killin' area

My reasoning is this, we've had a lot of coyotes for the last 20 years in ne IN. Ever since DNR released them (probably closer to 25-30 years ago actually). 10years back the DNR released wild turkeys 50 mile north of us on state ground. They multiplied and spread south those 50 miles in around 5 years even with the high influx of coyotes. Just my experience with the two.........

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 23, 2016, 12:51:04 AM »
Sounds like you need to manage it, or your deer and turkey populations will move away... and that's not good from a "hide" perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 23, 2016, 11:30:33 AM »
Sounds like you need to manage it, or your deer and turkey populations will move away... and that's not good from a "hide" perspective.

Exactly!

Plus the added problem or more specificially a possible danger to my boys.

Maybe I'm stretching with the coyotes threatening the boys, but, man, I am just not willing to take the chance. A early winter coyote kill off is now in the works. So far tow soldiers and a Jar-head. Possibly a Navee Seal type as well, ya know, just to round things out nice and evenly!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 23, 2016, 02:31:41 PM »

Exactly!

Plus the added problem or more specificially a possible danger to my boys.

Maybe I'm stretching with the coyotes threatening the boys, but, man, I am just not willing to take the chance. A early winter coyote kill off is now in the works. So far tow soldiers and a Jar-head. Possibly a Navee Seal type as well, ya know, just to round things out nice and evenly!

I know of 3 people I could call in if you need more. 1, I know definitely is a Combat vet with a Purple Heart, I know that cause I was there, plus a couple more that were down at the Warrior Transition unit.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 26, 2016, 08:24:27 PM »
Sent the boyz out after the Coyotes today, well, sort of. Gave them shotguns and sent them to the barn. Believe it or not those critters were in the treeline maybe 150-200 meters away. I was busy fussing with trying to get the trailer wired up and running during the two hours I had to work there today.

Well, the big news is that finally, I have electricity. I have a 200 amp service installed, hooked up and powered!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 26, 2016, 08:27:05 PM »
I seem to have scored a new security light as well.

Not sure, but the top of that conduit seems to be open to the atmosphere (Read: Collecting water in the underground part???)

Anyway I threw the light switch and bingo...Lights!

I flipped the switch for the compressor and just like that, it started right up

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 26, 2016, 08:31:26 PM »
Hmmm, IPhone pics doing the sideways thing on me again...

So I finished the conduit connection to the outside 30 amp plug, but for some reason, there is no power to the camper!

Obviously something is not connected, and I'll have to figure it out. But I am that close.

I have propane coming on the 3rd of December. I'll start off operations with a 120 gallon tank. I'll enlarge as I add buildings and demand. For now this should get me through the cold months which will give me that cozy spot to rinse off and sleep after working outside all day

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 26, 2016, 08:57:05 PM »
Cool, on the grid so you can get work done to get off the grid!  Sounds like a Liberal project -  ;D

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 26, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »
I think that's a smart meter so big brother can keep tabs on him..... :o

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 26, 2016, 09:57:40 PM »
Congrats Don.  That's a big accomplishment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 26, 2016, 10:33:01 PM »
Yep, blame the camera,,,,,,,,,,,,

See those little dashes under the numbers? When you use power they scroll to the right, when you make power on the grid, they move left.

Sounds lie you need to bait the coyotes and get that M1 out.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 27, 2016, 05:43:40 PM »
Yep, blame the camera,,,,,,,,,,,,

See those little dashes under the numbers? When you use power they scroll to the right, when you make power on the grid, they move left.

Sounds lie you need to bait the coyotes and get that M1 out.
Me and the Marine have developed a GCKP (Good Coyote Killin' plan)

We'll be on it pdq!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 29, 2016, 08:01:38 AM »
I wouldn't wait around to long to do something about those coyotes.  Generally I wouldn't view them as a threat but generally they are pretty skittish and don't hang around during day light hours and in areas with human activity.  At least around here they don't.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 29, 2016, 08:25:35 AM »
We see them day & night here out my back door but they're probably liberal hippy coyotes & think that's ok.......

The tree hugger types think they are wonderful, local retired po and I had a nice discussion on our neighborhood forum after several ankle biting dogs were attacked in people's back yards. It was his view we just needed to give them more hugs because they were here first. I just listed the diseases they carry & spread as my response. ::)

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 29, 2016, 08:43:42 AM »
We see them day & night here out my back door but they're probably liberal hippy coyotes & think that's ok.......

The tree hugger types think they are wonderful, local retired po and I had a nice discussion on our neighborhood forum after several ankle biting dogs were attacked in people's back yards. It was his view we just needed to give them more hugs because they were here first. I just listed the diseases they carry & spread as my response. ::)

Shawn,
Your days of happiness livin' in that hood are definately numbered my friend.

You need to come back to your people...

But you'll know when.

BTW that friend of mine is movin along very nicely!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 29, 2016, 10:28:28 AM »

You talking about furry "Wiley" type, or the ones from Syria, Somalia and Iraq etc.?  If they're true "hippy" coyotes, they're stoned and not too much to worry about - leave a bag of Cheetos opened in the backyard, and they'll move along....... ;D

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 29, 2016, 11:27:26 AM »
Shawn,
Your days of happiness livin' in that hood are definately numbered my friend.

You need to come back to your people...

But you'll know when.

BTW that friend of mine is movin along very nicely!

I'm headed there next week, gotta help Mom get stuff sorted out. I agree & about your friend that sounds promising. Be good....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 29, 2016, 11:28:27 AM »

You talking about furry "Wiley" type, or the ones from Syria, Somalia and Iraq etc.?  If they're true "hippy" coyotes, they're stoned and not too much to worry about - leave a bag of Cheetos opened in the backyard, and they'll move along....... ;D

We have all kinds, didn't you ever hear don't feed the animals?

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 29, 2016, 01:28:37 PM »

We have all kinds, didn't you ever hear don't feed the animals?

It's called BAITING.......

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 29, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »

Furry, dog lookin types.

They are actually somewhat handsome, but I'm gonna shoot em anyway!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 29, 2016, 01:52:05 PM »
If they're good lookin yotes, no reason not to tan those hides as an educational survival tool/lesson for the pre-rangers. Also puts emphasis on the "aim small miss small" head shot concept.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 29, 2016, 03:21:56 PM »
Head shots and small caliber varmint grenades, or other frangible rounds work good too.

Had to finish one fur bearer when I got to it.
35gr varmint grenade, point blank, did not exit it's head. FWIW.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 29, 2016, 04:07:36 PM »
Good practice, head shots. Perfect for a 223 or 22wmr up close. Less suffering and learning to tan.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 29, 2016, 04:55:40 PM »
I definitely planned to tan the hides. Need some wall covering stuff for the new BGH (Big Guy HangOut)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 29, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »
I might be outnumbered here but I generally don't advocate taking headshots on any animal.  While a clean headshot might put them down quickly it doesn't take much error for a clean headshot to turn into a blown off jaw resulting in an animal that will likely never be recovered and die slowly from starvation.

Especially for a young or inexperienced hunter I would recommend taking the highest percentage shoot.  The brain is relatively small.  The vitals much larger.  A well placed shoot will still put the animal down quickly with much larger room for error.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 29, 2016, 06:22:24 PM »
I might be outnumbered here but I generally don't advocate taking headshots on any animal.  While a clean headshot might put them down quickly it doesn't take much error for a clean headshot to turn into a blown off jaw resulting in an animal that will likely never be recovered and die slowly from starvation.

Especially for a young or inexperienced hunter I would recommend taking the highest percentage shoot.  The brain is relatively small.  The vitals much larger.  A well placed shoot will still put the animal down quickly with much larger room for error.

This.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 29, 2016, 06:49:44 PM »
I have to say I see your point Bear. I have been very lucky thus far, and have only had 3 that I've ever taken and 3 for 3 have been behind the eye. if I were just a shade to the left that exact scenario would likely have played out. Good point sir and you've converted me. I might like guns meat and shootin', but I'm not in for intentional or unintentional suffering.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 29, 2016, 07:28:58 PM »
I also agree.
My first shot is always vitals.
I was only referencing frangible bullets not leaving the head.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 29, 2016, 07:33:24 PM »
A lot of people say they like to take a head shot on a meat doe so they don't ruin any meat.  The thing is, if you can confidently take a head shot you should be able to place a clean shot through the vitals without doing much damage to the meat.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 29, 2016, 08:04:44 PM »
What's this thread about...Anyone know???  ;) :o

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 29, 2016, 08:21:45 PM »

Well I thought it was about a not so hidden hide site farm build thingy. But recently it's about killin varmits which is always a good thing.... ;)

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 29, 2016, 08:26:50 PM »

Well I thought it was about a not so hidden hide site farm build thingy. But recently it's about killin varmits which is always a good thing.... ;)
Yea, I'm not sure either!

I went lookin' for my thread, and couldn't find it!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 29, 2016, 08:30:33 PM »
case in point.  Had a friend get a nilgai antelope down and I went to help.  He had a bad shot.  It hit the spine high in the back and the animal was down and conscious, but paralyzed.  I walked up and put the G22 between the eyes and pulled the trigger.  It just look up at me and kept breathing. had to move back on top of the head and shoot down to hit the brain.  They have some huge sinus cavities apparently.  Second shot at point blank sealed the deal.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 29, 2016, 08:48:32 PM »
G22? I thought you were .45 cal guy......

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 29, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »
Old guy.^^^..can't handle a 45!!??!! hehe
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 29, 2016, 09:28:10 PM »

I went lookin' for my thread, and couldn't find it!

The thread is hiding with SD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I wouldn't shoot anything large with a head shot unless I was using the correct round.. I was referring to the coyotes to save the hide. I would agree otherwise for a vital shot, with a round that doesn't blow the other side out.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:29:43 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 29, 2016, 09:32:38 PM »
Old guy.^^^..can't handle a 45!!??!! hehe

Ken, a glock will fire when you pull the trigger. We all realize there is a whole lotta nottin to handle when pulling trigger on a 1911...... :P

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 29, 2016, 10:02:36 PM »
For the record.  My stockpile is 45 and 9 (and 22lr)so when the SHTF I can sell to old and young guys.  The 40 is my daily carry, a great compromise of capacity of power.  If I want real power, I'll skip the 45/40 and go right for the custom loaded 10mm at 1350 FPS with 200gn xtp. Lots of tupperware containers, only one 1911. Its like a museum piece to show friends.  :-)  Let the flaming begin.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 29, 2016, 10:26:56 PM »
Lol, love it......

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal