Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3  (Read 130672 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #500 on: December 03, 2016, 08:07:35 PM »
And, yes, house killin' time is fast approaching...

Wish I had my old M60A1... That thing would make very quick work of that structure.

Always wanted to stick the gun tube inside a building then squeeze off a round. I bet the muzzle blast would send that house into a million pieces...How cool would that be?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #501 on: December 03, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »
Don, any news on the easement problems?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 03, 2016, 09:45:34 PM »
I have a plan in place to purchase that whole farm along with the other two that touches my place. If I can pull it off. I'll be up to 450 acres and control the access from all directions.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 04, 2016, 12:23:31 AM »
Carry on, sounds like a good option.

OldKooT

« Reply #504 on: December 07, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »
Just my catching up here....

So far it's dog 4 Badgers zero... that dog is a special kind of determined. He's had to have a few stitches over the years, but he doesn't seem to care. He's like 14 years old or something so maybe he figures he has nothing to lose.

I tend to shoot heart/lung on larger game. It's just humane and simple I agree. That said I head shoot Coyotes...because they are "screamers" and die nosily at times when vitals shot. I just don't take shots I am not confident in taking. One shot to the back of the head they are down and dead. The area of vitals on a Yote isn't much larger than their head anyway. If required a follow up shot is always an option..at least where we hunt them.

Don that pink foam textures rather well with acetone LoL It gets that old 1800's concrete texture quickly.

Another thing you can use to light that fire that doesn't "explode" (less fun) is rubbing alcohol. It lights clean and simple and gets things going fast...if lighting "wetter" wood use lamp oil it will burn longer ...once yr flu is warm it will draw as you have discovered. And yes add a dampner...you will save lots of heat.

I just use mineral spirits from my parts washer LoL

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 07, 2016, 02:40:39 PM »
Just my catching up here....

So far it's dog 4 Badgers zero... that dog is a special kind of determined. He's had to have a few stitches over the years, but he doesn't seem to care. He's like 14 years old or something so maybe he figures he has nothing to lose.

I tend to shoot heart/lung on larger game. It's just humane and simple I agree. That said I head shoot Coyotes...because they are "screamers" and die nosily at times when vitals shot. I just don't take shots I am not confident in taking. One shot to the back of the head they are down and dead. The area of vitals on a Yote isn't much larger than their head anyway. If required a follow up shot is always an option..at least where we hunt them.

Don that pink foam textures rather well with acetone LoL It gets that old 1800's concrete texture quickly.

Another thing you can use to light that fire that doesn't "explode" (less fun) is rubbing alcohol. It lights clean and simple and gets things going fast...if lighting "wetter" wood use lamp oil it will burn longer ...once yr flu is warm it will draw as you have discovered. And yes add a dampner...you will save lots of heat.

I just use mineral spirits from my parts washer LoL

Just getting back from being down there. Met the Propane guy, Mr. Jim. He was all sorts of apprehensive about coming back there. He said, "What if you run out of gas and the weather's bad, How do you expect me to make it back here?"

So, yea, he's uncomfortable with driving on that road too...Seems to be a universal complaint. As a result of all that, he gave in and is installing a 120 gallon tank this Friday. He figures that will get him through till summer, so he won't have to come back again during the less favorable months.

Ya, know, Norm, on that pink foam board, well, I got to looking at the stack of barn wood I have accumulated. That stuff is as solid as, well Oak! Not very rotten except on the edges. I have been cutting into it, and It may be hard and strong enough to make a B-52 main wing spar. Or at least a Constellation class frigate.
So, I was wondering what that camper might look like with the skirt and other pink places wrapped, tastefully, mind you, in old school barn wood???

Might work. Keep me from looking like the Jeffersons just moved in next to my shed

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 07, 2016, 02:53:20 PM »
Ya, know, Norm, on that pink foam board, well, I got to looking at the stack of barn wood I have accumulated. That stuff is as solid as, well Oak! Not very rotten except on the edges. I have been cutting into it, and It may be hard and strong enough to make a B-52 main wing spar. Or at least a Constellation class frigate.
So, I was wondering what that camper might look like with the skirt and other pink places wrapped, tastefully, mind you, in old school barn wood???

Might work. Keep me from looking like the Jeffersons just moved in next to my shed

I think you should tongue and groove it in. It'd look nice an professional!  ;)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 07, 2016, 03:05:33 PM »

I think you should tongue and groove it in. It'd look nice an professional!  ;)
Hmmmm

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 07, 2016, 03:13:33 PM »
 Save that pristine Barnwood for inside! Use a tile trowel and spray down that pink board with mineral spirits and then trowel it to make it look like Barnwood texture. You can then paint it and make it look like your own Barnwood complete with actual texture - just need a little red and gray and light brown paint  and apply it with a Drybrush technique! Even warrant officer can do it!  :o
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 07, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »
Save that pristine Barnwood for inside! Use a tile trowel and spray down that pink board with mineral spirits and then trowel it to make it look like Barnwood texture. You can then paint it and make it look like your own Barnwood complete with actual texture - just need a little red and gray and light brown paint  and apply it with a Drybrush technique! Even warrant officer can do it!  :o
You really are an art teacher!

So, the mineral spirits does what? Dissolves some of the material? Doesn't like melt holes in it does it?

I think if I have any problem with the paint concept, it will be getting the paint to stay on the aluminum or Mylar tape

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 07, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »
Oh, and around here black would be the color of da barn

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 07, 2016, 03:23:37 PM »
Test it on some scrap first as it'll eat it up/melt quick- use a pointy trowel for wall tiles and experiment and see what you think

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 07, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »
 Black is the color that the mold that feeds off the yeast used in distillery bourbon! That's why the revenueors used to drive around looking for black mold on trees in the woods to locate illegal still! Black also adds heat for the aging of the bourbon in the barrels.   See I learned something

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 07, 2016, 04:04:28 PM »
Black is the color that the mold that feeds off the yeast used in distillery bourbon! That's why the revenueors used to drive around looking for black mold on trees in the woods to locate illegal still! Black also adds heat for the aging of the bourbon in the barrels.   See I learned something
I finished off that bottle BTW

Burbon, cream, root-beer and ice

Time for another visit I'm thinking

OldKooT

« Reply #514 on: December 07, 2016, 04:41:03 PM »
I'd defiantly test yr foam vs solvent ratio on a scrap piece. The visual of a swiss cheese skirting and such, funny as it may be.

Sell that barn board to city slickers for $8 a running foot. That's what I do...they love it. I once sold the wood off a old corn crib for $20k. AND they (city slickers) paid me to deliver it also. Then they bought the stone foundation as well... because barn parts are well...barn parts.

120 gallons?  I have a tank that size on my weed torch man. Wonder how long that will run said RV furnace? I am trying to remember how large the tank on our RV is...I know it will last 6 days of winter RV,ing.

What we do here for Sissy propane guys that wont take their trucks off road is we mount a 1000 gallon tank on wheels. Ya could do that with a smaller unit say 500 gallons. Drag it out, have him meet you someplace he can handle filling it, and then drag it back in.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 07, 2016, 05:03:43 PM »
Well, instead of messing up the form (done that alot) just get cheap siding and glue it on. Bang you are done.

Save the oak for the inside of something nice, like the outhouse  8)
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 07, 2016, 10:47:13 PM »
I'd defiantly test yr foam vs solvent ratio on a scrap piece. The visual of a swiss cheese skirting and such, funny as it may be.

Sell that barn board to city slickers for $8 a running foot. That's what I do...they love it. I once sold the wood off a old corn crib for $20k. AND they (city slickers) paid me to deliver it also. Then they bought the stone foundation as well... because barn parts are well...barn parts.

120 gallons?  I have a tank that size on my weed torch man. Wonder how long that will run said RV furnace? I am trying to remember how large the tank on our RV is...I know it will last 6 days of winter RV,ing.

What we do here for Sissy propane guys that wont take their trucks off road is we mount a 1000 gallon tank on wheels. Ya could do that with a smaller unit say 500 gallons. Drag it out, have him meet you someplace he can handle filling it, and then drag it back in.

Well about half way through the negotiations (Arguing) we had me to the point where they would give me 4-100lb bottles and when they got low, I'd throw them in the loader and drive out to the road and swap them out for new ones.

Now, frankly, I'm happily satisfied that everyone fears the road. No one ever comes to visit...

Anyway, I don't know what will work, but I do know I have to start somewhere, so if this is what they are willing to do, well, so be it. I'll run the furnace on a low setting, like 45 degrees and turn her up when I stop for a visit. At the moment I have that hot oil thing going on its lowest setting. Going down to 20's and teens next few days, and I plan to be down there to evaluate. Placing a recording thermometer in the craw space to get an idea whats going on there.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 07, 2016, 10:48:17 PM »
Well, instead of messing up the form (done that alot) just get cheap siding and glue it on. Bang you are done.

Norm got me to thinkin'

If idiots will pay $8 a board foot, I might like to help them do so!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 07, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
Don, how about a HF trailer with racks that holds 2 tanks. Find a used one or get new and build simple racks and just keep em there then drive the whole thing out when exchange is needed?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 08, 2016, 12:07:58 AM »
Rust oleum camo paint on the foam board and call it done. You,re over thinking it, pilot :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 08, 2016, 12:21:48 AM »
Don, if the gas company guy will drive back and fill the smaller tank, why not get one twice the size and not worry about running out before spring. I rent a tank from Cenex and they are very reasonable. I think you would get a better price with a larger delivery also. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 08, 2016, 09:26:48 AM »
Don, if the gas company guy will drive back and fill the smaller tank, why not get one twice the size and not worry about running out before spring. I rent a tank from Cenex and they are very reasonable. I think you would get a better price with a larger delivery also. 
Its all academic at this point. Tomorrow they install the 120, and I'll back that up with another larger tank and I'll be G-T-G

OldKooT

« Reply #522 on: December 08, 2016, 09:34:32 PM »
Tell your propane man you know a guy in Kneebraska that would drive down that driveway in a Fifth Avenue.

It's about 6 degrees here ATM with a nice breeze. House is 75 degrees and cozy burning about a bushel a day of corn.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 09, 2016, 08:21:49 AM »
Tell your propane man you know a guy in Kneebraska that would drive down that driveway in a Fifth Avenue.

It's about 6 degrees here ATM with a nice breeze. House is 75 degrees and cozy burning about a bushel a day of corn.

I'll tell him!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 09, 2016, 09:33:46 AM »
I'd take XJ down the driveway, but then again, it's already beat up.  ::)
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: December 09, 2016, 10:20:16 AM »

Norm got me to thinkin'

If idiots will pay $8 a board foot, I might like to help them do so!

It's more than $8 a board foot in hippy land....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 09, 2016, 10:22:09 AM »
I'd take XJ down the driveway, but then again, it's already beat up.  ::)

Uh & it's an xj! ;)
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 09, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »
Uh & it's an xj! ;)

But stock with 235's... And worn suspension.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 09, 2016, 12:16:58 PM »
Any real truck would be fine. Probably wouldn't even need 4 wd.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 09, 2016, 08:04:44 PM »
Mission accomplished
I'm sitting in the camper, it's showing 17 degrees outside and I'm as warm as a bug in a rug!

They installed a 120 gallon tank and had me all hooked up shortly after 10 am. Since it is going to be super cold this weekend, I'm staying at the hide to validate the concept

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 09, 2016, 08:42:09 PM »
Did you say you were going to monitor a thermo underneath the camper, inside the wind break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 09, 2016, 10:01:21 PM »
I have a buddy that tried his up here in -25-30.
I think he burned 30 lbs a night, so you should be good for a while.
Now with the skirting you've added, that should help a ton.

If you haven't added underbelly thermometer it probably would be wise to keep an eye out for freezing water lines etc.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

OldKooT

« Reply #532 on: December 10, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »
probably a little late now mind you....but since you have all that electricity you coud have found room for a small say 15 gallon electric hot water heater...some pex a small heat exchanger and a few atv radiators with fans and built yrself a nice little heating system.

Samm...I believe our RV tank is 80lbs...our RV is 4 season insulated and I'd guess given it's consumption we were at or close to 15lbs a day in 10F weather. So your friends numbers sound pretty reasonable.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 10, 2016, 08:57:23 AM »
Did you say you were going to monitor a thermo underneath the camper, inside the wind break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes
Northern tool has some weather stations and simple thermometers on sale. Plan to use those. But I couldn't figure out just yet how to record the data for long periods. The wind speed is important to me for future wind mill. Plan on putting it almost to the top of a 36' pole of my creation then my first wind driven ten atop that

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 10, 2016, 09:09:24 AM »
Northern tool has some weather stations and simple thermometers on sale. Plan to use those. But I couldn't figure out just yet how to record the data for long periods. The wind speed is important to me for future wind mill. Plan on putting it almost to the top of a 36' pole of my creation then my first wind driven ten atop that

We grunts use these things called notebooks for stuff like that...  ;D

The new(er) office (resisting the change) version of me recommends Excel...

I still use notebooks... the green hardcover leaders' notebook; mostly cause I have extras.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 10, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »

We grunts use these things called notebooks for stuff like that...  ;D

The new(er) office (resisting the change) version of me recommends Excel...

I still use notebooks... the green hardcover leaders' notebook; mostly cause I have extras.
Cro-Magnon man!  ;-)

Think is there Bobby- Lou is I'd have to be there and checking that all the time. Makes sense for the absence of technology but there is a smart way of doing this I think

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 10, 2016, 10:43:06 AM »

Cro-Magnon man!  ;-)

Think is there Bobby- Lou is I'd have to be there and checking that all the time. Makes sense for the absence of technology but there is a smart way of doing this I think

Well you have been there most of the time

But since you want to be fancy get this, then attach an external hard drive for abundant storage space instead of an SD card.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1000wifi.html#caption
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 10:47:16 AM by BobbyB »

OldKooT

« Reply #537 on: December 10, 2016, 11:27:01 AM »
Ya know NOAA records wind speeds and other fun stuff. Likely a airport monitoring station or a firehouse or something close enough to give you an idea on wind speed average is available.

Or this http://www.kymesonet.org/

Just trying to save you the work involved in erecting a pole with a wind spinny thingy on top of it.  ;D

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 10, 2016, 01:16:58 PM »
The graph in the history section of wunderground tells you over time what the temps have been, windspeed etc. I would start by looking at that data over time to see if a windmill makes sense. Obviously wind speeds for your specific location may differ from where the weather station is located due to specific topography etc. but this would be a start and should at least be in the ballpark.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KLEX/2016/12/10/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=Lexington&req_state=KY&reqdb.zip=40502&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 10, 2016, 06:48:07 PM »
Ya know NOAA records wind speeds and other fun stuff. Likely a airport monitoring station or a firehouse or something close enough to give you an idea on wind speed average is available.

Or this http://www.kymesonet.org/

Just trying to save you the work involved in erecting a pole with a wind spinny thingy on top of it.  ;D
I kinda wanted the place to have a slight scientific feel. Plus, it's another project. Who doesn't like projects!

Me, being a pilot, well, I could just stare at that thing spinnin' away for amusement for hours. I spent so much of my life looking through things that were spinning in front of or above me, that I kinda' miss it! ;-))

Thing is the Kintucky is not flat except a "bottom" or something near a river. Wind flow is different all over the hill. Since my farm is one of the highest points in that county the airmass is always lifting up and over my ridge. In doing so I get some good airflow. Today is a good example. Most places except on that ridge were pretty calm. But working around the camper, stuff was blowing all over the place. Foam boards make good sails. The wind gusts were strong enough to break the 1.5" thick Formular 150 board.

Anyway, I have long suspected I could mount a BlackHawk rotor system up there somewhere and actually bet something useful out of that old nag of a helo.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:49:50 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: December 10, 2016, 06:53:42 PM »
OK, let's get a larger propane tank installed

Here is the midwest folks setting my new 120 gallon (Has 100 gal inside) propane tank

I noted that I started around 85% full. By afternoon the next day I had burned the tank down to something just above 80%. It was very cold for maybe 75% of the time and gusty. Temps ranged from the 20's down to the teens.

The furnace had no difficulty at all keeping up, and I had a great and restful night's sleep in a toasty warm camper.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 10, 2016, 06:54:54 PM »
Next up, I partially tore down the wood stove to seal it up better and make some additions

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 10, 2016, 06:56:28 PM »
While the silicone was setting up some, I glued a new rope seal into the door channel

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 10, 2016, 06:57:57 PM »
And installed a flapper thing-ah-ma-jiggy

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 10, 2016, 06:59:25 PM »
Then I reassembled the pipes, sealing every single joint

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 10, 2016, 07:02:18 PM »
Then I test fired it using some dried wood, kindling, and of course some charcoal brickett starter fluid

Fussing with the damper some, I got the temp right, and smoke free. It was drafting nicely and putting out the btu's

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 10, 2016, 07:03:23 PM »
And outside, it was trying to snow

Scout never saw snow before and was busying himself running down democrats, err, I mean snow flakes!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:04:31 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 10, 2016, 07:05:32 PM »
Remember that brace thing I built to hold up the flue? Well, I retasked it, not wanting a project to go to waste

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 10, 2016, 07:06:44 PM »
And tore off a lid from the ever present empty hydraulic oil buckets and filled it with kindling

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 10, 2016, 07:08:08 PM »
Wanting a close by stack of ready and dry firewood, I hastily screwed this thing together

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal