Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3  (Read 130683 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #600 on: December 12, 2016, 06:28:53 PM »
DOTs

One of em gets started

Then there goes the thread!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #601 on: December 12, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
Or some wallpaper camo; (springtime)

Is that the big seller in San Fran?

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 12, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »
Anything thinner/urethane based will probably melt the foam. Would have to be thin coats of whatever is finally used.

I was thinking this, too, with the earlier suggestion of camo spray paint. They make spray paint especially for foam, would likely need to use that.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 12, 2016, 08:30:36 PM »
DOTs

One of em gets started

Then there goes the thread!

"I love it when a plan comes together"
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 12, 2016, 08:33:47 PM »
Or some wallpaper camo; (springtime)

Is that the big seller in San Fran?

Wouldn't know, it's 50 miles away and over 2 bridges. Not far enough but a good buffer.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 12, 2016, 09:23:22 PM »
Anything thinner/urethane based will probably melt the foam. Would have to be thin coats of whatever is finally used.

I was thinking this, too, with the earlier suggestion of camo spray paint. They make spray paint especially for foam, would likely need to use that.
All this finishing work is really not a priority at this time. I have addressed the heat retention and gotten the thing electrified, so I can take a breath.

Next is to get a larger water supply in there. Something intermediate I think, doesn't have to be anything over the top, but a few hundred gallons I'd say.

My plan for that remains to set a water tank in and around the approach end of the camper as you view it from the "Road"

I thought I'd set a tank in place and build in a box around it that would blend in with the camper, perhaps made of the same material I plan to use for the skirting... Anyway top it off with a glass roof, slanted to the south to catch the sun. Paint the top of the storage tank black for heat absorption and if it works like a green house, it should remain liquid during the hardest freeze we see here. I'll place an emergency heater in there just in case, and add in a pressure demand RV type water supply pump set ar around 45 psi. If I build this thing correctly I might be able to catch the water heater exhaust for heating and attach directly to the shore water supply inlet and keep everything inside the enclosure.

Work or not, that is the plan at the moment, cause you have to start with some sort of a plan.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:25:35 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 12, 2016, 09:29:46 PM »
A small electric block heater (or livestock water tank heater in the water itself) on the tank should work just fine to keep it liquid inside a small building, possibly even set it up so it turns on by a thermostat.......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 12, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
Don, I don't know if you've considered "totes" for water storage, but they're pretty handy, fits in a truck easily (I've had 2 in my long bed), and you can pick them up cheap. I got a couple used ones for free from a friend, and I could use them for drinking water if I cared to, because they were labeled "corn syrup".  I am using them now, in conjunction with a 2" waterpump, for dust control. They come in 275 or 330 gallons. The steel cage around them, could be welded on for different ideas that you may come up with (like stacking, etc.)

for example : http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/11874/330-gallon-re-bottled-ibc-tote-ibc-btl003?gclid=Cj0KEQiAsrnCBRCTs7nqwrm6pcYBEiQAcQSznOlYGzV6xXTbjmi6p-Q_QvgV7qkI22KoRsFrdJTJ3bkaAjIg8P8HAQ
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 12, 2016, 10:02:08 PM »
Don, I don't know if you've considered "totes" for water storage, but they're pretty handy, fits in a truck easily (I've had 2 in my long bed), and you can pick them up cheap. I got a couple used ones for free from a friend, and I could use them for drinking water if I cared to, because they were labeled "corn syrup".  I am using them now, in conjunction with a 2" waterpump, for dust control. They come in 275 or 330 gallons. The steel cage around them, could be welded on for different ideas that you may come up with (like stacking, etc.)

for example : http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/11874/330-gallon-re-bottled-ibc-tote-ibc-btl003?gclid=Cj0KEQiAsrnCBRCTs7nqwrm6pcYBEiQAcQSznOlYGzV6xXTbjmi6p-Q_QvgV7qkI22KoRsFrdJTJ3bkaAjIg8P8HAQ
Ken,
I know exactly what they are and that is exactly what I was thinking of using, the 330 gal units. They sell for $60-$75 around here and they look almost new. I was thinking of using one or possibly two of them in tandem. Might run gutters and a cheapo rain collection system off the camper and route it into the tanks

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 12, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »
Well, might as well get this project started... I just ordered the pump, filter, and expansion tank

The filter is rated to 5 microns so it can even filter out the unsavory smell of a liberal! And it lasts through an entire campaign season!!!!

Pump is a 12VDC unit rated at 55psi and 3 GPM. I figure with that and the accumulator I should have some pretty good flow inside.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 12, 2016, 10:50:31 PM »
Don I don't know if you've considered a passive solar heater but I bet thats sort of what your describing painting it black.

Something like this could be incorporated into the building and it would work pretty well I'm betting.

https://www.exposingtruth.com/heat-homes-solar-air/

I built one for my house as a test and it's not that big- 3' x 8' and it raises the temp 70 degrees from the temp it comes in at. Bet it would keep the water from freezing.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 12, 2016, 11:50:14 PM »
Don, using the passive solar heater is a good idea but keeping the water moving will help and not let things site and get, well green.

Using a little brushless pump that can run forever with no wear and use that with the passive coil heater. I got a couple to play with solar in my pool and for under $20 they move enough water for those tanks. COuld even use them to fill em from that wonderful well.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 13, 2016, 06:29:47 AM »
Ken,
I know exactly what they are and that is exactly what I was thinking of using, the 330 gal units. They sell for $60-$75 around here and they look almost new. I was thinking of using one or possibly two of them in tandem. Might run gutters and a cheapo rain collection system off the camper and route it into the tanks

They may look new, but ensure they have been cleaned and weren't used to store chemicals.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

OldKooT

« Reply #613 on: December 13, 2016, 08:37:44 AM »
Don if you decide to dispose of your wheels...they'd look good on my featherlight. Feel free to shoot me a price if your so inclined. I can do cash, paypal, pink foam board, you name it.

The hose reel thing never works for me. I seem to prefer tripping over and untangling air lines and extension cords..must be a masochist issue or something. But your set up has me considering my options and working on my organization skills. This past week I lost a 3.5' crow bar in my living room while remodeling... still haven't found it. I assume someone moved it, but they all claim innocence. I ever find it again, I am spraying it day glow orange and attaching something large to it to prevent this in the future.

So curiosity.... why is the camper never leaving again?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 13, 2016, 08:45:27 AM »
Wil,That is an EXCELLENT IDEA! Two gold stars!

JR, I'll look into it, good idea! Pat on the back!

Bobby, The ones I found around here were food grade, used to transport food products, and have been rinced: Hardy handshake and toothy smile

Norm, Well, Norm, bro, you have issues ;-))))))))

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: December 13, 2016, 09:15:53 AM »
Don if you decide to dispose of your wheels...they'd look good on my featherlight. Feel free to shoot me a price if your so inclined. I can do cash, paypal, pink foam board, you name it.

The hose reel thing never works for me. I seem to prefer tripping over and untangling air lines and extension cords..must be a masochist issue or something. But your set up has me considering my options and working on my organization skills. This past week I lost a 3.5' crow bar in my living room while remodeling... still haven't found it. I assume someone moved it, but they all claim innocence. I ever find it again, I am spraying it day glow orange and attaching something large to it to prevent this in the future.

So curiosity.... why is the camper never leaving again?

so which wall did it get dry walled into.......................;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

OldKooT

« Reply #616 on: December 13, 2016, 10:43:15 AM »
Nate..... I never thought of that. Ya know, when I get a minute I will grab one of the metal detectors and check and see for that possibility. Why didn't I think of that?....wait I know it's because I would never do something like that LoL....but I did have a grandson here helping, he could have tucked it behind some insulation....I better check, I was planning to waterboard the kids until they confessed to stealing my favorite crow bar to mess with my head. LoL

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 13, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »
I was going to say your handle belies the root cause... "Old"koot. Caught a case of CRS.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 13, 2016, 11:06:11 AM »
Nate..... I never thought of that. Ya know, when I get a minute I will grab one of the metal detectors and check and see for that possibility. Why didn't I think of that?....wait I know it's because I would never do something like that LoL....but I did have a grandson here helping, he could have tucked it behind some insulation....I better check, I was planning to waterboard the kids until they confessed to stealing my favorite crow bar to mess with my head. LoL

Gotta self confess here

I nailed Norm to a cross over the CRS/crowbar admission...

But just yesterday, I was looking for my rake down at the farm

I was using that rake to move the graves around the underside of the camper while I finished up closing in the underside with the pink stuff...

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 13, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »

Got a stud finder? "Hey! Who stuck a metal stud in this wall?...." ;)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 13, 2016, 11:47:19 AM »

"...as the intrepid explorers defied the gods and broke the seal on the pink foam tomb, to their horror they found the curse of the lost rake was true!"
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:47:56 AM by EL TATE »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

OldKooT

« Reply #621 on: December 13, 2016, 12:37:40 PM »
LoL.. after this thread, I will never see pink foam board the same way again.

And to defend myself here.... I was on a ladder fighting with some petrified Fir my home is built with and the crow bar was hanging on the ladder when I climbed up there. After 15 minutes of trying to remove said petrified lumber the correct way and getting no joy...I asked for the crow bar and large mall to be handed up. The four people in the room all looked for the crowbar...it just vanished. I recently confirmed...it is not in the walls LoL

So still a mystery. Maybe this place is haunted like my wife and kids claim?
Who knows....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 13, 2016, 04:08:59 PM »

And to defend myself here.... I was on a ladder fighting with some petrified Fir my home is built with and the crow bar was hanging on the ladder when I climbed up there. After 15 minutes of trying to remove said petrified lumber the correct way and getting no joy...I asked for the crow bar and large mall to be handed up. The four people in the room all looked for the crowbar...it just vanished. I recently confirmed...it is not in the walls LoL

Who knows....
Don't get on the haunted thing

Bad subject in my home right now

Note: DOTin' up my own thread)

It started the other day when I come home to find the garage doors open, and it's cold and windy outside

So I come in and place my boys on restriction, problem solved

I come home yesterday and guess what? Yup, the garage doors are open again!

So I restrict the boys again and they come to me and swear, up and down that they didn't do it. So I give them grace (Because I told them that they are not allowed to lie...ever)

I come in the house and the thermostat is on 73 and the red light of death (Aux heat is running) is on. This unit burns five dollar bills to produce heat!

So I call the boys in and again they say...swear, cry, that they did not do it.

So I set the temp to 70 and lock the thing down. Normal heat, 70F, done.

I go in and tell Kathy about all these strange occurrences and she says, it's the ghost. I jokingly comment, "Oh we now have a poltergeist?" ...And she answers, "Yes we do!"

What? A real live (or dead???) Ghost?!

Questioning the boys, the little guy tells me of the several times he has seen a man in the doorway of the closet. Hmmm, little boy imaginations. Well, the other much more mature one says, yes, its true, he is here. Great! Everyone things we're haunted! Then later on in bed, Kat tells me that on the nights I am gone to the farm, someone plays the piano in the basement. I explain that it is just the cat. She asks, "You mean the cat that sleeps with me in the bed?"

I didn't know that kat slept with kat in my bed!

Note: the kat is now in the last days of its life.

So I was a bit perplexed as I drifted off to sleep. Then around 2 AM I wake up freezing. I walked over and checked the thermostat and guess what? It is now set to Air conditioning mode and to sixty something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, this is not funny...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:13:18 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 13, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »
So Dons house is haunted (we think we have my father wondering around here) and someone replaces him in bed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,let it fly!!

We keep ours at 68 and the wife complains it is to hot and we have the same problem with a cat, but its a female.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #624 on: December 13, 2016, 05:14:43 PM »
I will start a thread some day about "odd" stuff that happens here. And some of it has gone on since the first owner bought the place in 1877. The amount of "artifacts" we have found in the dirt here from Indians and a picture  found in a 1800's new paper suggest strongly this land was once a Indian Spring camping/hunting area. So....who knows.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 13, 2016, 05:37:57 PM »
The house I grew up in had a triple murder/suicide in it long before we moved there. Plus the local police chief buried a Thompson machine gun on the property (he cut it up in 3 pieces or so he claimed....for all I know he did it for safekeeping). We had a lot of stuff that occurred as well. But with a 200 year old house who knows how many ppl were "still there" by the time I arrived there as a kid. There's a lot we cant explain I think....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 13, 2016, 07:51:10 PM »
Well, after the experience I had last summer helping a pastor (More like a viper/warrior/gladiator) do his thing to a demon possessed guy, I have zero doubt as to the spiritual side being a very real thing...

But one thing I also learned and now know very well, is that they cannot come against the holy spirit. Can't touch him! You pray a line of protection of the blood of Jesus around you and those and you love and you just encased them in kryptonite!

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 14, 2016, 08:36:12 AM »

Who knows....
Don't get on the haunted thing

Bad subject in my home right now

Note: DOTin' up my own thread)

It started the other day when I come home to find the garage doors open, and it's cold and windy outside

So I come in and place my boys on restriction, problem solved

I come home yesterday and guess what? Yup, the garage doors are open again!

So I restrict the boys again and they come to me and swear, up and down that they didn't do it. So I give them grace (Because I told them that they are not allowed to lie...ever)

I come in the house and the thermostat is on 73 and the red light of death (Aux heat is running) is on. This unit burns five dollar bills to produce heat!

So I call the boys in and again they say...swear, cry, that they did not do it.

So I set the temp to 70 and lock the thing down. Normal heat, 70F, done.

I go in and tell Kathy about all these strange occurrences and she says, it's the ghost. I jokingly comment, "Oh we now have a poltergeist?" ...And she answers, "Yes we do!"

What? A real live (or dead???) Ghost?!

Questioning the boys, the little guy tells me of the several times he has seen a man in the doorway of the closet. Hmmm, little boy imaginations. Well, the other much more mature one says, yes, its true, he is here. Great! Everyone things we're haunted! Then later on in bed, Kat tells me that on the nights I am gone to the farm, someone plays the piano in the basement. I explain that it is just the cat. She asks, "You mean the cat that sleeps with me in the bed?"

I didn't know that kat slept with kat in my bed!

Note: the kat is now in the last days of its life.

So I was a bit perplexed as I drifted off to sleep. Then around 2 AM I wake up freezing. I walked over and checked the thermostat and guess what? It is now set to Air conditioning mode and to sixty something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, this is not funny...

I think it's the Russian's....  ;D  Dialed into your IoT (Internet of Things) NEST thermostat and are messing with you...
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 14, 2016, 09:28:47 AM »
^^^ Figures!

Its always something...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 15, 2016, 05:46:25 PM »
First of all, the skirting has made a big difference. The outside temp was in the low 20's when I showed up yesterday. But inside I would estimate was in the 40's somewhere. All the water was running and no sign of a freeze up.

Last night it got down to 8F and stayed that way until around 9AM when it started to warm. I think it might have gotten up to 10F but the wind started in, so I would estimate the felt temp was around zero. The furnace barely used any Propane and heated the camper to whatever I wanted, which was 72F last night. All day long the furnace had no problem with a zero wind chill so I am feeling more confident the skirting and added insulation is working.

For projects, the extension cord reel came in, so I got started on it

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: December 15, 2016, 05:47:35 PM »
Oh, before I do that, check out the outside barn lights, LED, 65 watt bulbs

Yes, its shaky, but you get the idea

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 15, 2016, 05:48:47 PM »
Getting started in a shed which was below 10F, the first thing on the agenda was to get some heat in there

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 15, 2016, 05:50:11 PM »
Yea, it was in turbo mode, but we were feeling the need for heat!

So here is what I am improving and where the business will take place

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 15, 2016, 05:52:08 PM »
The first step in any good country boy project is to disregard and remove the safety decals and tags!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 15, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »
The reel pivots on a sturdy steel base

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 15, 2016, 05:54:04 PM »
This reel has a 12/3 wire which supports a triple tap on the end

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 15, 2016, 05:55:39 PM »
I mounted the reel to a piece of 3/4" plywood with a 2X4 stiffener behind it

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 15, 2016, 05:56:31 PM »
And attached it to the work bench with 4 screws

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 15, 2016, 05:58:25 PM »
The dangley end was not impressing me. I saw the dog and read his mine. "I'm gonna chew that off," he was telecommunitin' to me. So I changed it up

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 15, 2016, 05:58:58 PM »
Scout seemed to miss that whole deal

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 15, 2016, 06:00:26 PM »
With all the wind I get on that ridge, the doors, the main ones, have been working, so I decided to stiffen things up some. First I screwed each joint together with a #10 X 3.5" screw

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 15, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »
The at the door top, it had been working in and out and had elongated the catch hole some, so I screwed up two 2X4's so that it closes and is held solidly

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 15, 2016, 06:03:30 PM »
Next I added a security bar near the top with some 3/8" steel bar drilled at an angle so that rattling would not cause the pin to fall out

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 15, 2016, 06:05:11 PM »
If you recall the pic of the shed, south side, lit up at night by the barn lights, you may recall there was a dark spot. I added a motion detecting security light in there for good measure

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 15, 2016, 06:06:58 PM »
Its an LED unit that draws practically no power

I almost finished the install before I had to pack it in, unthaw the mutts and get the chebby started. Tonight is the annual Christmas concert and one of the pre-rangers is singing in it.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: December 15, 2016, 06:07:50 PM »
Lastly (For tonight) I purchased a new 10 foot step ladder which will shortly be abused and broken.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 15, 2016, 07:54:08 PM »
Not bad there Don. I see Scout is smart enough to lay on the rug, dirty or not.

I would just pull that ball off. It still looks tasty and at eye level.

Maybe drill a hole in that ply above the door pin so you can just hang it up when you pull it out.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 15, 2016, 07:55:15 PM »
Not bad there Don. I see Scout is smart enough to lay on the rug, dirty or not.

I would just pull that ball off. It still looks tasty and at eye level.

Maybe drill a hole in that ply above the door pin so you can just hang it up when you pull it out.

I think I'll do just that

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 15, 2016, 10:19:28 PM »
Glad to hear the camper is staying toasty for you!  I'd guess that the heat being on (even low) 24/7 helps keeping the thermal mass from getting so cold and lowering overall consumption.  Looking good!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 20, 2016, 11:27:47 AM »
I found a new stove strategy for you Don.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal