Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3  (Read 130784 times)

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #650 on: December 20, 2016, 11:57:48 AM »
I found a new stove strategy for you Don.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That, is AWESOME!!!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #651 on: December 20, 2016, 02:05:11 PM »
The floor of his shed might need to be reinforced. .....

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 20, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
The floor of his shed might need to be reinforced. .....

And the roof patched after he "inserts" the bucket and stove......
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 20, 2016, 06:36:37 PM »
I found a new stove strategy for you Don.

I like it!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 20, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
That might radiate a little heat.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 22, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »
Thinking outside the box for sure

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 26, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »
Closed the loop on the water tanks today. Picked up three - 330 gallon tanks from an hour north of me. I'll get on scrubbing them clean tomorrow then transport to farmside.

After taking some measurements, I'll be able to create the enclosure in the shop downstairs.

So having thought about it, I think I'll build a simple four wall box out of 2X4's and the same high tech siding panel that the shed is sheeted with. I'll add a simple roof, put an access door inside it, and this the cool part:
In the south wall, I'll build in two of those solar collectors that will passively work during daylight hours and hopefully heat the interior enough in the winter to prevent a freeze up. I view this as an intelligent experiment where I believe the chances that it will work approach 100%, however allow that it may fail.
I'll get busy on that tomorrow.
My base plan calls for 660 gallons of water supply which will be additionally fed from camper roof runoff to add some self replenishment aspect to the design. Eventually I'll mount two solar panels on the roof feeding a battery beneath the camper which I hope may supply all the power it needs to stand alone, grid free.
We'll see...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 27, 2016, 10:16:33 PM »
The rain from the Christmas monsoon has definitely softened up things some. So, we had hard gusty winds and a load of rain but the camper skirting and tape is holding up very well thank you very much!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 27, 2016, 10:18:11 PM »
Keeping the deer watering hold very full

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 27, 2016, 10:19:41 PM »
Have a bit of the Beverly hillbillies look going on, but I will soon attend to the ascetics. But for now, so far the winterization is a pass

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: December 27, 2016, 10:23:02 PM »
So I picked up three of the 330 gallon "Tote" fluid transport containers. two of these will become the water supply cistern for the camper giving me between 600 to 660 gallons available. If it all goes as planned, the tanks will be resupplied from time to time from rain water run-off from the roof of the camper, once the full system is fabbed and installed

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 27, 2016, 10:28:20 PM »
Two of them were pretty clean, having a small amount of fluid in the bottom. The third tank had been used to catch some cutting fluid and machining residue from some metal processing. The bottom looked awful at first. I picked up this tank for a song, and am keeping it for a possible fuel tank to store off road diesel for the tractors and loader.

After cleaning them with hot soapy water and dawn dish washing detergent and using my pressure washer, I could not tell anything had ever been in there. Actually, now I am not 100% sure which tank had the shavings in it. What that mess was was machining lubricant, water based, and the metal filings, nothing else.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 27, 2016, 10:29:47 PM »
They all have 2" NPT ball valves, which I think I'll keep intact and plumb off the ends of those

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 27, 2016, 10:32:13 PM »
You can just make out the 300 gallon mark cast into the tank

These tanks are Schultz tanks which are constructed with the same plastic as other tanks, however are a bit thicker, making them a great candidate for the project for which they have been selected

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 27, 2016, 10:38:47 PM »
As of this evening, they are all cleaned and ready to go, and go they will, right to the farm in the morning. After setting them, I'll procure the materials for the containment bin and build that in the basement shop in such a manner that it can be a knocked down after construction here, then hastily assembled on site with a minimum of fuss.

That build is coming right up, but I think it will be a simple 8' X 6' X 5' tall with a roof and two access doors, some added storage space and a small area for the pump, filter unit and accumulator. I'll leave room for a few batteries for the future addition of the roof mounted solar cells. I'll also create two passive solar heating panels within the south wall.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 27, 2016, 11:29:21 PM »
Two of them were pretty clean, having a small amount of fluid in the bottom. The third tank had been used to catch some cutting fluid and machining residue from some metal processing. The bottom looked awful at first. I picked up this tank for a song, and am keeping it for a possible fuel tank to store off road diesel for the tractors and loader.

After cleaning them with hot soapy water and dawn dish washing detergent and using my pressure washer, I could not tell anything had ever been in there. Actually, now I am not 100% sure which tank had the shavings in it. What that mess was was machining lubricant, water based, and the metal filings, nothing else.

Machining coolant is basically animal fat, bacteria likes to grow in it. I suggest scrubbing the internals with some bleach. I can tell you about some aweful skin rashes it can cause & my guys soaking in bleach baths at night to kill the death itch they would get in the summer. You've been warned.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 27, 2016, 11:37:46 PM »

Machining coolant is basically animal fat, bacteria likes to grow in it. I suggest scrubbing the internals with some bleach. I can tell you about some aweful skin rashes it can cause & my guys soaking in bleach baths at night to kill the death itch they would get in the summer. You've been warned.....
Note taken!

And I was going to add bleach to the water in the tank, I always do. Even though the water is filtered, we only wash with it, and drink the bottled stuff.
If you add a bit of bleach to the water in tanks outside, algae doesn't grow in it either.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 28, 2016, 12:00:08 PM »
My bet would be Shawn is talking more than just a little bleach mixed with water.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 28, 2016, 09:49:37 PM »
My bet would be Shawn is talking more than just a little bleach mixed with water.
Shawn, Are ya?

I'll get to the bottom of this!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 28, 2016, 09:57:36 PM »
Well the tanks are sitting next to the camper in the spot I have chosen for them to live.

Looks like it will fit well into the setup I now have and not block the east window very much. With my adding them there I an creating a stair step turned on it's side look to the north end of the camper. After I doll up the skirting some, I'll place some landscape feature in each corner to soften up the approach to my temporary home.

I was looking at the setup I have and no, I don't want to over think it, but if i added a walled in deck to the entrance area, I could create a three or even 4 season room where one could hang their jacket and drop the boots before entering the kitchen area. Might make for a nice place for the doggies to lay around on and chew up the outdoor living furniture I'd likely place out there. Not saying anything for sure, just eyeballing it...

I also clad the remaining slide-out with the pink stuff. Today it was nice outside in the mid 30's. Inside the camper with nothing more than a single heater element of that hot oil radiator turned up about half way, I'd say it was maintaining 60 in there. A check on the propane level showed no usage that I could detect.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 28, 2016, 09:58:07 PM »
No camera, just crappy sideways I-Phone pics...Sorry!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 28, 2016, 10:43:41 PM »
Shawn, Are ya?

It's definitely nasty stuff, I'd be using more than dawn and a little bleach myself. I understand it's just for showers and toilets but a little work now is better than headache later imo.

Just for an idea we had about a 95 gallon reservoir on our one vertical cnc mill & we would add a gallon of bleach every 3-4 weeks just to keep bacteria growth down in the summer.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 28, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »
Nice score on the tanks. Did you plan on using quick disconnects on the outlets?

Can you get to the drain valve on the trailer? I see the hose but no access. I had issues with mine without the valve.

Are you going to smooth the piled dirt around the puddle so it maybe holds a little more water?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 29, 2016, 08:45:27 AM »
Shawn, Are ya?

It's definitely nasty stuff, I'd be using more than dawn and a little bleach myself. I understand it's just for showers and toilets but a little work now is better than headache later imo.

Just for an idea we had about a 95 gallon reservoir on our one vertical cnc mill & we would add a gallon of bleach every 3-4 weeks just to keep bacteria growth down in the summer.
The entire cleaning operation on three tanks took maybe an hour and a half. I used dawn and hot soapy water at 3200 psi. I soaped and rinsed each several times. The tanks were then hosed off again with normal garden hose pressures with 140 degree water. In the end each was just as clean as the other. No residue, no beading of water to indicate the presence of oils, and a new like appearance.

Now the other thing is that the water in those tanks, because I plan to collect rain water, will go through the best RV water filtration unit I could find. You know, the standard 99.99% variety.
The setup is good, on to fitting it all out.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 29, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
Nice score on the tanks. Did you plan on using quick disconnects on the outlets?

No, plan to use 2" NPT male fittings either screwed to the end of the ball valves (Most likely) or directly to the poly tank

Can you get to the drain valve on the trailer? I see the hose but no access. I had issues with mine without the valve.

Do you mean the gray and black water drain valves? If so, then yes there is an access, but I plan on creating another right at the site of the hose to make it easy

Are you going to smooth the piled dirt around the puddle so it maybe holds a little more water?

Yes...
The plan is to come in there again and reshape that pond, building up the berm about two more feet, then widening and deepening all that. When I finally score an excavator or a back hoe, I'll do it then. In the spring the trees growing all over the impounding berm (Dam??) will be removed, save for one or two left for aesthetic reasons

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:58:26 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: December 29, 2016, 10:52:14 AM »
Don, don't skimp on the water for the RV black tank use and Don't dump it until at least 3/4 full. Pyramids in the tank are not a good thing and lots of water is your friend for not growing them.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 29, 2016, 10:58:14 AM »
Don, don't skimp on the water for the RV black tank use and Don't dump it until at least 3/4 full. Pyramids in the tank are not a good thing and lots of water is your friend for not growing them.
Copy!

I may rebuild that system completely. Turn it into a more conventional kentucky system. Add a standard toilet with flange and 4" PVC which I would run out the side and down to that ground hog hole in the hill near the camper  ;-)

I now officially own a self populating farm. I have either four or six cows on it most of the time. No, they are not mine. They come in so often the "Hole" they created in the cedar wall of trees between the old growth hardwoods and the field has officially been named "Cow hole trail" by the pre-rangers. While I was working on the place yesterday, the little one passes by me, "Dad, I'm going squirrel hunting on Cow-Hole trail, see you later."

I have asked the neighbors surrounding me if any of them are missing cows. I just get either a "No" or a "Not sure, don't think so." To that I respond, "well, I now have either 4 or 6 of those chocolate brown fully grown critters crapping all over the place."

I guess I'll let this go until spring or summer and if no one claims them, then up goes my first fence and a barn that is cow-suitable...Who'd have thunk it!

Well, like the movie line, "If you build it they will come," It appears as though the statement works as well for cows as it does for ghosts!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:06:43 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 29, 2016, 01:53:43 PM »

This is why I asked Don, been there don that!

Maybe the cows feel safe there? Until you are hungry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 29, 2016, 06:12:56 PM »
Sounds like Don's going to be posting up a new tenderloin recipe here shortly!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 29, 2016, 06:32:38 PM »
Sounds like Don's going to be posting up a new tenderloin recipe here shortly!

Fresh ingredients for the Real Man Chilli Cook-off!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 31, 2016, 12:50:58 AM »
Oh, for the toilet look at the "Aria". Full size porcelain made for RVs.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 31, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »
Don you need to develop you're own brand and get it on those cows. Are any of them bulls? I'd be wary of them if they are. Bulls can be nasty animals at any time but especially if they've been living on their own for a while. I'd tell the pre-Rangers to stay clear. Bulls have killed a lot of people.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:28:27 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 31, 2016, 12:19:18 PM »
Don you need to develop you're own brand and get it on those cows. Are any of them bulls? I'd be wary of them if they are. Bulls can be nasty animals at any time but especially if they've been living on their own for a while. I'd yell the ore-Rangers to stay clear. Bulls have killed a lot of people.
Well, they show up after sunset and hang around till morning. Are somewhat skittish. Have put the headlights on them but no defining examination as of yet. Scout runs them around some time, so I'm expecting a cow with a broken leg about any time

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 31, 2016, 07:12:34 PM »
Well, they show up after sunset and hang around till morning. Are somewhat skittish. Have put the headlights on them but no defining examination as of yet. Scout runs them around some time, so I'm expecting a cow with a broken leg about any time

Instinct.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 31, 2016, 07:23:50 PM »
Dot alert. Saw this. Thought of Don. Sorry Don. You can fire me now

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 31, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »
Diggin the argyles!

Gunz aren't bad either

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 31, 2016, 07:43:49 PM »
Too doggone sick today to do anything on the structure. Been down for several days now. Hard cold and staying about the same...

Hoping to get to work tomorrow on the framing

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 31, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »
Now that is some quality DOT work there Charles!

Don, feel better as the cold action is miserable this time of year!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 31, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »
Don as you know kids circulate colds through the house pretty regularly. This last time I started taking a caplet of Zinc once a day as soon as the kids came down with it. I got it anyway but it was very mild and didn't last long( I never lost a work outside day). I highly recommend it in the future.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 31, 2016, 08:00:58 PM »
Don as you know kids circulate colds through the house pretty regularly. This last time I started taking a caplet of Zinc once a day as soon as the kids came down with it. I got it anyway but it was very mild and didn't last long( I never lost a work outside day). I highly recommend it in the future.

Zinc: Check.

I normally dose as high as 2000MG of vitamin C when I feel it coming on. I used to do that and go for a very long run. Seem I could run it out of me most of the time. Then I grew up

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: December 31, 2016, 10:51:47 PM »
Ive used C as well and the zinc seems to do better.  YMMv based on your body, but give it a shot.  :thumb

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 31, 2016, 10:57:20 PM »
I like zinc and use Zicam.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
emoji pics showin' up now!!

Kyle: how can we PLEASE get some decent emoji's on here!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
emoji pics showin' up now!!

Kyle: how can we PLEASE get some decent emoji's on here!

Ahh jeeze, this again... so much time wasted on those doggone emoji's. But i'll giver a whirl again.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well, either that or I could ban JR to keep him from postin' this junk

Should we have a poll for that too? ;-)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Well, either that or I could ban JR to keep him from postin' this junk

Should we have a poll for that too? ;-)

Or you can use the "delete post" button after we are all done laughing  ;)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Happy New Year.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Possibly usable

I'm going downstairs. Cut some boards, spread around some sawdust.
Get some pics so there will actually be some material on my "Chat" thread here!
DOTs...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This "Cold" is kickin' my butt!

But I am going stir crazy having building materials fifty feet away, a plan in my head, screws scattered about and electricity in the outlets.

So I went down there to work.

I'd say I crammed an hour's worth of work into four hours, but I do have something completed

Picked up the 2 by's purchasing pressure treated for direct gravel contact, and syp for the rest of the framing.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am really liking this smart panel. It's a modified OSB product with some good resin and pressed or rolled with a western cedar outside appearance. This is what the shed is built with, and nearly a year later it hasn't changed from build day

and

Made here!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal