VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

a little help on my 4x4/manual trans swap

<< < (2/11) > >>

KensAuto:
I would just block the carrier down with a spacer ...like using square tubing, 1"2"3", whatever gives you the right angle.

KensAuto:

--- Quote from: stlaser on January 16, 2017, 03:59:46 PM ---I'd run a one piece & modify that cross member. Take it for what it's worth, we haven't saw pictures & im not familiar with those Dodges like Norm is. However, modifying a cross member isn't "high tec" fan work either. A new shaft will be balanced & gtg too.

--- End quote ---

Or this, if you want a one piece. like stlaser said, not high tec....pretty simple.

Dfarm01:
I'll  try to get some pictures tonight.

How would cross members be modified "normally" (I know it depends on a lot) to clear a drive shaft that would run right through them?  Would it be ok to build an arch from c channel and weld it to the top, then cut the offending piece out?

What about using spacers to raise the t case up to where the carrier bearing would work as is?

Thanks a ton for the help.

stlaser:
Motor, trans and t-case should be sitting fairly level. Motor anyhow as you want carb level front to rear. If you start shimming t-case couple things to keep in mind is that you don't want to put it in a bind and break the trans housing or coupler housing depending on setup. You also will need to t-case supported so if you "shim" it what are you doing for other supports or is this the only mount for it?

Dfarm01:
The only mount for the transmission/transfer case assembly is under the t-case on a cross member.  Only that mount and the two engine mounts hold the drivetrain in place. I'll check how level the engine sits tonight also.  It's possible that when I put the engine cross member in, I put it in too high, but I'm pretty sure it's ok.(I think there were dimples in the frame, or most of the holes from the 2wd cross member matched up? It's been a while. Lol)

If I was to raise up the t-case, I'd put a spacer between the t-case mount and the cross member.  I've already chopped a hole in the floor, making it a little bigger to clear doesn't scare me. Lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version