Hello Guest

Author Topic: Using creek on property to water 3 acres  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Using creek on property to water 3 acres
« on: January 22, 2017, 05:54:50 PM »
Fellas, in the spring I will likely seed roughly 2.5-3 acres for a big field for a yield crop, perhaps feed for livestock.  I would most likely plant Bermuda for grazing as it is green most of the year especially at our very mild winters.  What pump size/distribution method would be best.  My creek is 10' wide and full all year round.  It is 6-8' deep at one particular spot on my property.  Thanks in advance.
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Using creek on property to water 3 acres
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 07:33:50 PM »
I don't have any useful info, but gotta say, I'm pretty jealous!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 07:56:12 PM »
There was a discussion on this site somewhere about those creek powered pumps.

Cool concept that pumps using the pressure head of the creek itself. You'd place it in an area of some drop or current and it lifts a lot of water around the clock

Someone help me out with pointing that thing out,I'm not sure where it is here.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »
Are you referring to the hydraulic ram pump don? I think that is best if used to do a trickle type filling of a gravity fed drip system. Cool concept tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 01:43:55 AM »
An engineer friend of mine was telling me of this very same set up.  A hydraulic ram set up.  I was toying with the idea of building a small simple cabin type structure down there on the creek and he was telling me how I could provide water pressure for it that way.  I'd prob mess it up if I tried to explain it again but something about placing a pickup down in the deepest part and putting a series of check valves in so the water would naturally fill and transverse the cavities due to the force of the water and gravity....there I tried.  :popcorn: :facepalm:

Buuut I don't think it would provide the volume I'd need.  I do have a generator I could keep down there and pump when I needed it.  I could just fill a resevoir at high ground and gravity feed the system.  If I came across a large enough PPL vessel I'd just fill it every other use or so.
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:11:15 AM »
Are you referring to the hydraulic ram pump don? I think that is best if used to do a trickle type filling of a gravity fed drip system. Cool concept tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, that one

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:12:31 AM »
An engineer friend of mine was telling me of this very same set up.  A hydraulic ram set up.  I was toying with the idea of building a small simple cabin type structure down there on the creek and he was telling me how I could provide water pressure for it that way.  I'd prob mess it up if I tried to explain it again but something about placing a pickup down in the deepest part and putting a series of check valves in so the water would naturally fill and transverse the cavities due to the force of the water and gravity....there I tried.  :popcorn: :facepalm:

Buuut I don't think it would provide the volume I'd need.  I do have a generator I could keep down there and pump when I needed it.  I could just fill a resevoir at high ground and gravity feed the system.  If I came across a large enough PPL vessel I'd just fill it every other use or so.
Most applications of this setup move a bunch of water which the owners use to fill big tanks.

The water is then apportioned as necessary from said tanks

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal