Hello Guest

Author Topic: Opinions on a used Truck  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
Opinions on a used Truck
« on: January 27, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »
I am in the process of selling my current truck.  It's an extended cab and I would really like a crew cab to make baby hauling a little easier and comfortable.  Also I have a lien on the current truck.  I think I should be able to sell it and have about $18,000 to work with to get into something different without getting a loan.  With the wife working part time now and the added expenses I would just like to get rid of the current payment and not pick another one up.

Originally I was looking at 2010-2012 GM trucks with a little less than 150,000 miles.  Higher miles normally don't concern me much.  I have the space and capabilities to do most maintenance and part updates when needed.  But all this discussion about the fuel management system in those trucks has me a little concerned now.  I don't want to pick something up that will require a new engine soon.

So I am open to any recommendations.  Normally I am a Chevy guy but would consider a Ford if that is the best direction.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on a used Truck
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:03:43 AM »
In the f150 variety I think you'll find a solid truck in those years of range. After buying a jeep and replacing a motor recently I don't think I would purchase the GM unit due to the afm issues they have had in those model years.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »
Nothing a tuner couldn't fix ^^^^
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »
If you definitely want the chevy you would either need to find one with low miles (75k or less?) and turn the afm off, watch the oil consumption, etc or you could possibly buy one that already had an engine failure.  You could possibly get it so cheap that you could put a new engine in it and start with zero miles.  OR, if you get lucky, you could find a truck with the 6.0L vortec max engine, which would avoid the AFM issue.

However, I would only recommend the above options if you were dead set on needing a suburban or Tahoe, or otherwise hell bent on staying with chevy.  Since you said you wanted a crew cab truck, I think the dodge and ford offerings might be worth exploring.   For my money, it would be the dodge.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
Nothing a tuner couldn't fix ^^^^

Depending on how much damage has been done presently, so yes if you knew the original owner and he deleted the afm from the get go or you had a way to document current oil usage I would agree.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 02:44:21 PM »
Hopefully Norm will chime in his son has a newer dodge of the 1/2 ton variety I believe and being he's Norm's kid he has found all the week spots already.......... Darn NB boys anyhow...... :popcorn:

OldKooT

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 03:10:55 PM »
The kids is a 2500 Power Wagon..my wife's old (2013) ride he rebuilt after the twins wrecked it. We also have 4 newer 1/2ton Dodge crew cabs in the family. Honesty they have been pretty good trucks. No engine issues, no trans issues, just typical newer truck issues of ball joints and steering. The gravel/dirt roads here tear this stuff up no matter who makes it.

You see a lot of half ton Dodges around here doing farm work. Seems the formula is a halfton crew cab, a small lift, some larger MT rubber, and treat them like they stole them. Quite a few down at the coffee shop every morning with 200k on them...

Rare to see a Chevy or Ford 1/2 ton on a farm. When you see them, they are always a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 03:44:42 PM »
^that says a lot for the 1/2 ton variety.
Us farm boys know how to bust stuff up for sure.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 10:47:41 AM »
Bear, shoot bobby a pm as he my be in the market for a duramax
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 07:58:22 AM »

I'm still working on going debt-free.. It's a work in progress.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 08:03:14 AM »
Around here in Wisconsin it doesn't seem like the Dodge body lasts very long.  The salt etc.. we put down on the road can be hard on all vehicles but it just seems like it really does a number on the Dodges.  If a heck of a deal on a Dodge fell in my lab I would consider it.  I did find a 3/4 ton Chev with a 6.0 in it that would fit what I am looking for.  Have to sell this one first though.  Had somebody stop out and look at it yesterday.  They definitely seemed interested so hopefully they give me a ring back soon.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 08:04:51 AM »

I'm still working on going debt-free.. It's a work in progress.

That is one of the main reasons I am getting rid of the truck also.  Will be real nice to be able to allocate the monies going to the truck payment some where else.

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »
Just saw a 2500 with the triangle lookin headlights for sale over at the Kroger lot

Looked to be rust free...Wonder if it actually is?

Green extra cab with no lift, but custom wheels
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 06:43:59 PM »

Plus Bear is a solid 103 lbs, as per the vet on Saturday, so I think he'd use up all if not most of the room in an extended cab.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:57:02 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 11:02:40 PM »
Well, got off the phone a little while ago with the gentlemen who came to test drive the truck Sunday.  We struck a deal up so now the heat is really on to find a new rig.

Was showing the wife some Fords I was liking.  Apparently she doesn't care for the body style.  Says it looks like a grandpa truck.  With that and the Dodge rust issues here in WI it looks like it might be a GM.  I did run across a 1500 with a 6.0 in it that might be worth looking at.  Also a 2500 6.0 is on the list.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 11:30:49 PM »
Buddy has an dodge that seems to have held up well, but not very hard on it. 65k on a 10 year old truck but burning oil now.

Did ford ever fix the spark plug issue on the 5.4? Now of a few that just blew the plug right out.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 10:06:42 AM »
Signed the title to my 2012 over to the buyer Friday afternoon.  Kind of an odd feeling to be vehicle-less. 

Spent a lot of the last week and yesterday searching online and test driving vehicles.  Found a 2013 F150, Crew Cab with the 6.5' box at the local Ford dealership.  Got them down to what I thought was a decent price and signed some papers.  Will be picking it up tomorrow after they replace the windshield.  There was a small chip in it that wouldn't have been a big deal except it would have been right in front of me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal