Commuication, Information Technology and Automation > Radio/Comms

GMRS: Who is using them?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Nate:
w4wn nice to see you over here, I think you would be an awesome asset to the communications area of this site since you are already licensed.

cudakidd53:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on October 06, 2014, 10:22:01 PM ---Not familiar so I went to the FCC site and licensing is currently required for GMRS but no testing.  They are low powered but higher than the FRS (walkie talkie).  There is a proposal yet to be ruled on that would eliminate the license requirement (doubt they will remove it since that is a revenue stream)  If you apply for a license, the rest of your immediate family members can operate under your license.  Think of it as a higher powered more well constructed walkie talkie.  Range is likely to be about 1-5 miles depending on antenna height.  Hand held is likely 1-2 miles.

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure the 3 I have (lost one hunting Grouse) had no "license" notation or application when I bought them.  Have also used them pheasant hunting, deer hunting and running field trial events with great results.  Motorola models, small, easy to carry (loose) and tune.

Of course, just because I don't recall any license form, doesn't mean there isn't one; MOST people
 I know with the same, probably have never broached the topic either.

Mike

TexasRedNeck:

--- Quote from: nmeyer414 on October 11, 2014, 01:39:59 AM ---w4wn nice to see you over here, I think you would be an awesome asset to the communications area of this site since you are already licensed.

--- End quote ---

Yes! indeed welcome.  Other perspectives from licensed hams are welcome!!

TexasRedNeck:
OK, for the sake of research and reporting, I just applied for the GMRS license on line at fcc.gov.  Side note, the site is completely reflective of the bloated bureaucracy that our government has come to be.  The fee was $90 and now I wait.  In the mean time I'll start researching radios for the family.  My license will cover my wife and kids who will never be HAMs more than likely.  Stay tuned!

Flyin6:
$90!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking

Being a commercial pilot, one is required to have a FCC license. Because we, well, talk on radios quite a bit...go figure

But a lot of those pilots never bothered to get the FCC license. The only catch I know about is when you actually start flying for a highly regulated company, like a part 121 airline such as Delta. Then during the hiring process you are asked to produce the FCC license before starting in the sim or aircraft training.

I hired pilots to fly in the contractor world for me before, and I never asked for a FCC license. I was definitely interested to know they could talk on both regular ATC channels and tactical ones as well with fluency. So it sometimes perplexes me when the license subject comes up...Speaking on a radio seems like an implied mandate to free speech (Although I know it isn't)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version