FOOD CORNER > Cooking equipment

Percolator coffee

(1/5) > >>

Wilbur:
So for 100 years or so (seems like it anyway) I've been using a drip coffee maker. Had tons of different kinds from cheapo wally world versions to more expensive ones. We have a combo drip and espresso version now cause the wife loves cappuccino.

When I'm camping I use a campfire percolator and the coffee is always good and hot (drip coffee is always just sort of warm (I add cream to my 1st cup of the day then later go just black). So I've been on the lookout for a percolator. My local wally world only carries 1 version among the 649 different drips they sell and they want $50 for the darn thing....so I passed. Finally at Christmas I broke down and got one at Amazon for $35 or something....not fancy...just the old style stainless steel percolator. I'm sure if I combed the flea markets and yard sales I could have found one for $5 but I grabbed this new one. I gotta say it makes really really good coffee!

Yes the grinds (because most coffee is ground for drips so is much finer) get into it but as long as I don't pour the last 1/4" I'm okay.

I also splurged and got the Stanley french press mug (wanted to try that and while it works I don't really do the French press thing). This mug is just flat out awesome. Yeah it's spendy but it keeps coffee hot for-evah! It will also last a lifetime as its made like their traditional vacuum thermos' - all metal etc. It will literally keep a hot cup of coffee hot for 2 hours.

Loving my mornings now! Ha!

*I was going to put this in the CIEMR section but didn't know if that'd be kinda redundant  :shocked:

Flyin6:
Nice!

Is this in the quoffee section?

Should we have a quoffee section?

Sammconn:
I'm a fan of cowboy coffee...some days.
If it's bugging you, throw a filter I the perk, it keeps all the fines in the basket.

I have not seen the French press mug, have the attachment for my jet boil, but hours long coffee is always good.

Don't think we have a quoffee section chief.

stlaser:
My wife is a coffee connoisseur, we have a drip machine for parents when they visit. She has a nice French press & we also have a $600 or so breville machine I bought her for steaming milk & grinding coffee beans. The French press is a pretty nice addition for the low cost. We also have an electric kettle to heat water.

KensAuto:
This is the version we put in the fiver for not-so-rough camping:  https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000015167-Camping-Coffeemaker/dp/B001K7IDVU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486236666&sr=8-2&keywords=camping+coffee+maker

Works pretty good, but a little bulky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version