TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

what falleth from the heavens will now be collected ... more efficiently (PICS!)

(1/5) > >>

stewie:
the last storm to pound texas had me rethink how i am collecting water. i was running a down spout from a 24x12 roof that collected water from the roof above it (~20x24') that was connected to a 3/4th inch garden hose. There was a major bottle neck which caused a lot of water to be lost. I upgraded it all to 2" pvc and built in shut off valves for each tank.

Total cost was about ~$40.

It took roughly 2 hours to do and frankly can't wait for it to be tested in a storm.

right now i am using paracord to hold the piping along the edge of the railing as i wasnt sure how all the parts would come together when @ home depot. I need to mount brackets now.

IN HINDSIGHT.
- i should have added a relieve valve if the tanks were both full. what will happen is either the water will bubble up from the tops of the tanks OR from the intake funnel at the end of the downspout. The funnel is kind of a relief in a way.

- instead of a 90 degree elbow at the end i should have capped the end to allow for easier daisy chaining in the future.

BEFORE

AFTER

Flyin6:
Much better

I doubt the 2" pipe will keep up with anything other than a moderate rain. A thunder storm dumping 7" an hour will overcome a 4" pipe.

Maybe not too late to plumb in an over flow line to tera-firma from the caps. One good gully washer and the pipes will be all backed up and the spouts/gutters might be carrying some serious weight.

I could be wrong, I am making recommendations based on what I know of rain collectin' in the Kin-Tuck Which I think every third person does.

stlaser:
 :likebutton:

Way to adapt & (time will tell) overcome.

dave945:

--- Quote from: Flyin6 on February 17, 2017, 09:18:29 PM ---Much better

I doubt the 2" pipe will keep up with anything other than a moderate rain. A thunder storm dumping 7" an hour will overcome a 4" pipe.

--- End quote ---

Based on my kin-tuck math, the cross sectional dimension of the typical downspout 3x4 inch is 12 square inches, for a 2 in pvc, it is only 3.1415 sq in.  So I'm afraid I would have to agree with Don that it might not keep up. However, if you are going from a 3/4 in hose which only has a cross section of .441 sq in, you are about seven times larger now than before.  How did your previous system handle the backlog of water during a good rain?   :huh:

stewie:
2" is as big as i can go really..... i based it more on the size of the surface catching the water and observation from a severe storm we had last week.
i left the piping as short as possible so the water moves into the tanks faster, and i probably could get an overflow line in, but not this weekend.

--- Quote from: dave945 on February 18, 2017, 08:23:35 AM ---
--- Quote from: Flyin6 on February 17, 2017, 09:18:29 PM ---Much better

--- End quote ---

Based on my kin-tuck math, the cross sectional dimension of the typical downspout 3x4 inch is 12 square inches, for a 2 in pvc, it is only 3.1415 sq in.  So I'm afraid I would have to agree with Don that it might not keep up. However, if you are going from a 3/4 in hose which only has a cross section of .441 sq in, you are about seven times larger now than before.  How did your previous system handle the backlog of water during a good rain?   :huh:

--- End quote ---

the 3/4th caused a lot of overflow over the connection to the downspout.
1, it was indeed to small for the volume of water
2, being is i had 30 feet of garden hose with that bottlenecked at a 2 way valve into 2 more hoses. I've since cut out all that slack and bottlenecks.

storms rolling in tonight and tomorrow so im looking forward to seeing how it works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version