TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

what falleth from the heavens will now be collected ... more efficiently (PICS!)

<< < (3/5) > >>

stewie:

--- Quote from: dave945 on February 19, 2017, 06:35:22 AM ---Just had a thought, the plumbing looks solid which makes me wonder what happens if/when your two inch line is completely full of water heading to your tanks?  Do you have an air vent to let out the increasingly pressurized air or is the tank going to have to burp eventually?  Not sure what the right way to handle it would be, maybe just not tightening down the threaded fittings at the top of each tank would be enough to let the air hiss out as the water fills it up.

Also, for you overflow you could plumb a standard Tee into the section between the two tanks facing up at a small angle, should give enough resistance that the water would still follow gravity into your tanks until they are full and then just over flow from there. It would give you the opportunity to plumb in another pair of tanks there in the future if you wanted also, or just run an over flow line off to another location.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts from a nonprofessional who thinks he knows things.

--- End quote ---

thats what i wanted to do. off angle a T joint in between to allow water to escape if needed.
now the pipes arent threaded into the tank openings, the 2" just slides in nice with about 1/16th all around so air can escape.

that was one of my regrets was not "teeing" off the end but using an elbow joint. i should have thought that one out better. i do have the room for 2 more ibc totes for sure and can chain another 2-4 on the side of the house.

moto123:

--- Quote from: dave945 on February 19, 2017, 06:35:22 AM ---Just had a thought, the plumbing looks solid which makes me wonder what happens if/when your two inch line is completely full of water heading to your tanks?  Do you have an air vent to let out the increasingly pressurized air or is the tank going to have to burp eventually?  Not sure what the right way to handle it would be, maybe just not tightening down the threaded fittings at the top of each tank would be enough to let the air hiss out as the water fills it up.

Also, for you overflow you could plumb a standard Tee into the section between the two tanks facing up at a small angle, should give enough resistance that the water would still follow gravity into your tanks until they are full and then just over flow from there. It would give you the opportunity to plumb in another pair of tanks there in the future if you wanted also, or just run an over flow line off to another location.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts from a nonprofessional who thinks he knows things.

--- End quote ---

I concur the tanks need to be vented to operate the best they can.  I would add a 1-1/2" vent connection on the top of each tank, it will also serve as the overflow if you just leave them open to atmosphere.  But connecting to the supply pipe between the tanks would only work as an overflow, this location will not provide proper venting.

stewie:
So the piping worked beautifully this morning. Tank 1 is 100% and tank 2 about 80.

The crappy thing is a tornado touched down 2 miles south of us and caused a lot of damage including knocking out power.

Good thing I have a generator and plenty of fuel. Util says power may not be on for a while.

We were spared a direct hit however it was very scary as if freight trains were rolling through our yard in the pitch black. Thanks God.

I'm almost on 48 hours no sleep.

EL TATE:
I take it the "thanks" is simultaneously grateful and sarcastic, lol. glad everyone is OK. Nice work btw.

JR:
Had a few nights like that in Mn years ago. Don't miss twisters at all.

Can you run a one way valve that will allow the top couple inches to syphon out? Of course if you don't mind them being topped off its not an issue. Maybe a funnel cut to fit the fillers so the venting stays open but crud can't get into the opening you have?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version