TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

what falleth from the heavens will now be collected ... more efficiently (PICS!)

<< < (2/5) > >>

TexasRedNeck:
Or you could add a downspout at the other end of the porch and double your collection rate using more 2 inch pipe. Not having a view of the other end of the porch I don't know if that's practical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stewie:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on February 18, 2017, 09:22:07 AM ---Or you could add a downspout at the other end of the porch and double your collection rate using more 2 inch pipe. Not having a view of the other end of the porch I don't know if that's practical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

over there is where we have the pig house, stair case, ac unit, etc so not a good spot for water collection.
i do plan to gutter the 2 sections of the roof to the left and right of the deck and pipe that water to a spot on the size of the house in a small wooded area. i could easily quadruple my water stores with that move.

This truly excites me because its an excellent move towards self sufficiency which is one of our stated goals. It's also helping to keep my yard from turning into a swamp.

Wilbur:
Having a plan for the overflow is a good idea but I think gutters should hold a full load of water if put up correctly. I noticed one storm water was overflowing the sides of the gutters....afterwards I went up there and a tennis ball was covering the drain (kids....sheesh...ha)....the entire length was full to the brim...36'. I pulled the tennis ball and it emptied in a flash. But it should hold the weight. Of course as with anything like this....ymmv!  :laugh:

stewie:

--- Quote from: Wilbur on February 18, 2017, 07:28:27 PM ---Having a plan for the overflow is a good idea but I think gutters should hold a full load of water if put up correctly. I noticed one storm water was overflowing the sides of the gutters....afterwards I went up there and a tennis ball was covering the drain (kids....sheesh...ha)....the entire length was full to the brim...36'. I pulled the tennis ball and it emptied in a flash. But it should hold the weight. Of course as with anything like this....ymmv!  :laugh:

--- End quote ---

the gutters are solid and handled the load of those monster storms a month ago. the weak point was the bottleneck to the hose.

i may add a small section to handle overflow that goes to a 3/4th garden hose out to the tank or garden area. i just need to spec out at what point do i consider the overflow to be an issue and where i put the 'valve'. will i have to manually engage it? the only way of knowing the tanks are filled is visual (them overflowing at the top).

I may find out over the next 48 hours.

:popcorn:

dave945:
Just had a thought, the plumbing looks solid which makes me wonder what happens if/when your two inch line is completely full of water heading to your tanks?  Do you have an air vent to let out the increasingly pressurized air or is the tank going to have to burp eventually?  Not sure what the right way to handle it would be, maybe just not tightening down the threaded fittings at the top of each tank would be enough to let the air hiss out as the water fills it up.

Also, for you overflow you could plumb a standard Tee into the section between the two tanks facing up at a small angle, should give enough resistance that the water would still follow gravity into your tanks until they are full and then just over flow from there. It would give you the opportunity to plumb in another pair of tanks there in the future if you wanted also, or just run an over flow line off to another location.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts from a nonprofessional who thinks he knows things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version