FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

The buzz about Stewie the Apiarist - He's Gettin' Bees!

<< < (4/4)

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: stewie on February 28, 2017, 09:34:55 AM ---
--- Quote from: Flyin6 on February 28, 2017, 09:05:37 AM --- For some unknown reason, the bees are dying. He loses one third to one forth of his bees every year!

--- End quote ---

same reason as china. insecticides, disease and mites that have become resistant to mans stupidity.

my biggest concern about having bees is all the crap the cotton and corn farmers dump and spray every year around the area.

--- End quote ---
Its likely already in the water and probably in the air as well...

Wilbur:
A few years ago I was talking to the same orchard owner about the bee colony die offs...I asked him what he was experiencing. He said the bees from one guy (guy who brought the bees to his place) had all died off. I asked him what happened and he said natural/wild bees all picked up the slack and he had no noticeable drop off in apple production. He said he was disappointed as he didn't get his honey barter but it hadn't impacted his apple crop.

stewie:
we have a lot of rogue africanized colonies out here too. since they're more aggressive they tend to overpower docile hives.

It's frankly an uphill battle really. I am joining a local bee club so i'll have extra support.

as far as the air and water, i am sure of it. we do the best we can.

cudakidd53:
My guess, is that the "hives on the road" are actually contributing to the "die off" as they're traipsing around the country and mixing in with the locals, without any resistance to "local ills" so to speak.  Just like when the Europeans introduced small pox etc. to our Native tribes......die offs due to lack of resistance.  Why do we have bed bugs? Cause dirtbags travel and share their friends with others....Killer bees are definitely a problem too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version