FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

The buzz about Stewie the Apiarist - He's Gettin' Bees!

<< < (2/4) > >>

stewie:
im going to be joining a local group to learn the ropes, but i also have my friend to help out. I am really excited and i hope the hive does well.  there is a lot to learn and i dont expect a huge honey glut for at least 2 years, so it's a long term thing.

We do have an epipen here (expired), but other methods are a syringe loaded with benedryl up the kiester - then ER. Regardless of epipen, one needs to get to the ER. The hive will be a ways from the house, and we already have a lot of bees (from rouge colonies i guess) on the property, anyone who sets foot on here needs to realize that.

My prop is not some sterile environment.

i've been called a lot of stuff by alot of ignorant people when i moved out here. If it hits the fan, the first place they'll wanna come is here and then i expect the shocked look on their face when i charge admission at the door.

Flyin6:
I think I'd like to build up a hive down at the farm.

Does one need to "Tend" to the bees often or do they just go about their daily "Buzz" by themselves?

Be nice to have that integrated into the farmstead...

stewie:

--- Quote from: Flyin6 on February 26, 2017, 09:28:28 AM ---I think I'd like to build up a hive down at the farm.

Does one need to "Tend" to the bees often or do they just go about their daily "Buzz" by themselves?

Be nice to have that integrated into the farmstead...

--- End quote ---

you gotta check on them like once a week or so. I have a lot of learning to do before May rolls around.

My farm is inclusive.

Sammconn:
Oh how we so love unpasteurized farm fresh honey.

The bees are not an option for us with the too long too cold winters.
However, my mom always picks up a gallon for us.

stlaser:
Don, I think you need bees too! & we all need a video feed of the folly.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version