Hello Guest

Author Topic: Optics for an AR  (Read 3894 times)

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
Optics for an AR
« on: March 09, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »
I'm thinking of spending a few dollars on new optics for my AR. I can shoot steel sights pretty well and have shot with a cheap red dot on it for a while, but I understand the benefits of a good optic. I am considering the Aimpoint PRO because they are fairly dumb proof and have a battery life of about three years if you believe the literature. I don't mind lesser known/smaller brands as long as they are proven.  I've looked at Trijicon but the price is quite a bit more.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated or any experience good or bad with any particular optics.

Thanks inadvance and God bless

Dave

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Optics for an AR
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 11:35:02 AM »
Good morning Dave. Is this firearm for recreational use or protection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
This firearm is my go to for rifles in my safe. I am in the process of.buying additional ARs for training he kids up and for daily shooting. So I would say it is primarily going to be for protection.

Thanks, I'm glad to answer any questions to clarify what I'm wanting. 

Dave

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »
The Army issued CCO is made by Aimpro, and it's a pretty good optic. They must have really improved on the battery consumption, though, because I recall ours running out within a month or two of use.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »
This firearm is my go to for rifles in my safe. I am in the process of.buying additional ARs for training he kids up and for daily shooting. So I would say it is primarily going to be for protection.

Thanks, I'm glad to answer any questions to clarify what I'm wanting. 

Dave
Being a serious rifle I would stick with the Aimpont PRO, T1/H1, Trijicon MRO, Eotech or similar. There are some less expensive optics out there that may serve you well but they won't have near the sample size in hard use environments. One of the other rifles you've got in the works may make a good test bed for those but not your primary. Unless I am mistaken the advertised battery life of the PRO, T1 or H1, and MRO are around 50,000 hours. Being able to turn them on and leave them on is a big plus for me.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »
I used to recommend an EoTech or Aimpoint, but lately the 1-4x, has been getting more of a recommendation, and generally for the same price as a good RDS.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »
I topped my AR with the Aimpoint PRO and use it cowitnessed to the iron sights. That was the set-up I used making the 300m shot on a full beer can down at Don's equipment testing lab in the KY hills.  Mikey likes it  :laugh:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 01:42:59 PM »
Mike, I like the result...but that was a wasted beer.  :facepalm:

The options above are all good.
Spend as much as you can on something quality.
I have a few lesser options that are no good.

I did buy the cabelas branded 3x (I think) bullet drop variant.
It's ok, but for a defense use, not the best.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Optics for an AR
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 03:52:25 PM »
I used to recommend an EoTech or Aimpoint, but lately the 1-4x, has been getting more of a recommendation, and generally for the same price as a good RDS.
A 1-4x certainly has it's uses.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:56:34 PM by longball »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 06:30:54 PM »

Nice.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 07:37:39 PM »

Nice.

That's a nice alternative too!  Magnification is cheating thought...........says the one eyed guy with bifocals...... :grin:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 09:10:27 PM »

Nice.

That's a nice alternative too!  Magnification is cheating thought...........says the one eyed guy with bifocals...... :grin:
I am pleased with it so far. I wish I would have bought the version with capped turrets though.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 11:21:37 PM »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 11:18:34 AM »
Aimpoint Comp M4 is my choice but if you want multi functional I would use the acog with rmr reflex.
http://shop.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-acog-4x32-scope-dual-illuminated-donut-223-ballistic-reticle-4-0-moa-rmr-sig.html?_iv_code=TJ-RS-ACOG4x32-TA31-RMR-EEA&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CPzI8dOKy9ICFVWewAodF6YG5w

I'm not a fan of those anymore. Mostly cause I look at the prices of things.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 04:42:33 PM »
I would love to be able to go the Acog with RMR route, but that's almost an order of magnitude beyond what my wife would sign off on.  I'm thinking the Aimpoint is in my price range and if I need magnification, I could always get a swing away 3x. I managed to be a good buy at work for the past ten years so I got an anniversary bonus that I can convert to amazon dollars, I'm going to see if I can trust anyone on there.

Thanks for all the input, I haven't pulled the trigger so to speak, so if anyone has any additional info it would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:43:38 PM by dave945 »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »
I would love to be able to go the Acog with RMR route, but that's almost an order of magnitude beyond what my wife would sign off on.  I'm thinking the Aimpoint is in my price range and if I need magnification, I could always get a swing away 3x. I managed to be a good buy at work for the past ten years so I got an anniversary bonus that I can convert to amazon dollars, I'm going to see if I can trust anyone on there.

Thanks for all the input, I haven't pulled the trigger so to speak, so if anyone has any additional info it would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Dave,
You're close enough that I'll show you my AR which has that ACOG mounted

The boys are using it today to "Hunt" Coyotes
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 09:46:44 AM »
I love my acog, if I recall correctly the bottom end model is around $800 granted more than others but I'm thinking the lack of batteries & quality may be worth spending couple extra hundy
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 12:18:16 PM »
Dave,

Don,
 That would be appreciated. I've seen them on guys rifles especially inAfghanistan, but being the scum sucking civilian contractor there was no chance (unless everything went truly pear shaped) that I would get to try them out. That does remind me though, the British flight lieutenant that we were deployed with was polling the three civilians that were with him about familiarity with firearms in case anything happened. The other two had no real experience, but when he got to me am I had to say was that I was from Kentucky. He stopped me right there and told mE that if anything happened I could use his pistol until something better was available. The other two he told to stay down.
Guess we have a reputation.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 09:41:32 PM »
Dave,

Don,
 That would be appreciated. I've seen them on guys rifles especially inAfghanistan, but being the scum sucking civilian contractor there was no chance (unless everything went truly pear shaped) that I would get to try them out. That does remind me though, the British flight lieutenant that we were deployed with was polling the three civilians that were with him about familiarity with firearms in case anything happened. The other two had no real experience, but when he got to me am I had to say was that I was from Kentucky. He stopped me right there and told mE that if anything happened I could use his pistol until something better was available. The other two he told to stay down.
Guess we have a reputation.
We do...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:22:17 AM by BobbyB »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal