FOOD CORNER > Canning & Food Storage

Freeze drier

(1/5) > >>

HuskerTrev:
Not sure if any one else has invested in a  freeze drier or not. Wife and I decided last summer that one would be a good investment after we crunched the numbers on it. Thus far we have been able to freeze dry around 300 pounds of food, many of which are complete meals. We don't throw away leftovers anymore, they go into the freeze drier and get packaged for easy meals on busy weeknights. We can take advantage of sales on perishable items and turn them into long term storage. And to top it off, when comparing costs between commercially and home prepared freeze dried foods, the savings is 75 to 80 percent. 

Does anyone else have any experience with freeze drying?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Farmer Jon:
I want to but they are so expensave.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

HuskerTrev:
I know they seem like a big investment right from the onset, but once you break down the numbers, they become so much more reasonable. For example:

The average American family of four throws away $2275 worth of food each year. The freeze drier costs around $2800 (depending on what sale Harvest Right is having) plus shipping ($300). To run a batch in the freeze drier, we use around $1.20 in electricity. We run our drier 4 to 5 times a week.

So if you amortize the freeze drier over the course of 2 years, it costs per month:

Machine: $129.16
Electricity: $36.00
For a total of: $165.16

The average per month of dollars wasted in food: $189.58

If you look at it this way, over the course of two years, the purchase of a freeze drier actually saves you $24.42 each month.

I know a lot of people who spend more than $165 on satellite or cable TV. Eliminate the garbage on the boob tube and your freeze drier is paid for.

And here is the best part of the thing, all those leftovers that get shoved to the back of the fridge, they now become your own homemade Mountain House meals, just way tastier and with less processed crap in them. I usually grab one of the individual serving meals that we put together when I go on a day hike. Both my wife and I will take them to work for lunch on occasion as well. She can attest, when you are rehydrating turkey and noodles with mashed potatoes that where made at Thanksgiving, while others are unwrapping McDonald's burgers, they give you some jealous looks!

Now I understand that a freeze drier is only worth having while the grid is up, but during this time of luxury, we are doing everything we can to make sure that we are as fully prepared as we can be. 

TexasRedNeck:
I've been looking. Please share details and photos of how it operates and your successes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wyorunner:
I'm with TRN. Please share more info.  I have looked at them before, and I buy freeze dried goods monthly, and I am also a freeze dried foods (ThriveLife) consultant.

But, a freeze drier, a garden, and meat animals could be a wonderful thing and could add huge amounts of good food to the pantry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version