Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2005 Excursion- AKA "The Black Bus"  (Read 4453 times)

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
2005 Excursion- AKA "The Black Bus"
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:55:59 PM »
Don't want to steal TRN's "bus" moniker but my wife has already affectionately named it. Even though its not much longer than the suburban; she's intimidated.  So current update right now as of 3/30 @ 9am its on a hauler, headed my direction from a small suburb of Houston. Never seen in person, test driven or even a smell test.  Its an Eddie Bauer 2 tone, soon to be all black. Lots more to come. As funds will allow, I will upgrade this to suit my hauling and daily driving needs. Here she is leaving today:

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Excursion- AKA "The Black Bus"
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »
Gunna level it up or add a true lift?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »
V/B code spring update, so just a good leveling.

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
While I sit here in my office impatiently waiting the arrival of my over the phone gamble of a purchase. I figured I would post up some pics that the seller had sent me while we talked/texted/face-timed for what seemed like weeks. Once I get her home I will try to do a real write up on the current state of affairs and the bolt on parts I've already started collecting.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 07:18:25 PM »
Looks really nice MJM. I bought my Duramax sight unseen from a dealer in Wisconsin and had it delivered. Pretty easy and I was ok paying via car loan that way. You bought this from private seller?  If you don't mind me being nosey,  how did you pay him being comfortable it would actually show up and he got paid?  Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:26:22 PM »
My brother had one of these. Big ole party wagon. Everyone loved it except for the 9 mpg.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 06:54:46 PM »
I looked at one way back when.  I forgot how big the spare is.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »
Looks really nice MJM. I bought my Duramax sight unseen from a dealer in Wisconsin and had it delivered. Pretty easy and I was ok paying via car loan that way. You bought this from private seller?  If you don't mind me being nosey,  how did you pay him being comfortable it would actually show up and he got paid?  Thanks

It was not easy for both of us, we did a lot of "sizing each other up" over phone/text/facetime. He and I were both asking each other those same questions.
PROBLEM 1 He had a small payoff through his local credit union
PROBLEM 2  Im 2000 miles away

In the end I figured well I would rather use my banks money than my cash if there was an issue. We put our 2 banks together to keep the paperwork legit, and the wiring the funds at appropriate times to ensure he got his cut and I got my driver. Truth be told my bank is a rockstar local credit union so they really went out of their way to fund this endeavor....that they will get no interest out of because I already paid it off...LOL

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »
Wow, I wouldn't have thought a bank would provide that service. Mine will hardly give me my own cash back when I want it!!  :facepalm:

Good for you. Glad it all worked out.
Mike

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 01:01:35 PM »
Wow, I wouldn't have thought a bank would provide that service. Mine will hardly give me my own cash back when I want it!!  :facepalm:

Good for you. Glad it all worked out.
Get USAA if you qualify

One and done!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »
Funny you mentioned that. We had USAA for insurance for many years. After the whole Wells Fargo opening bogus accounts debacle we closed all of our Wells Fargo checking and savings accounts and moved them to USAA.

Now the only thing I have is my self directed 401K and Mortgage with WF. The Mortgage was sold to WF much to my disappointment but what can you do?

The only thing I don't like about USAA is you can't get any cash other than the limit on ATM's since they have no offices. Plus their online bill pay is wonky. If you pay a bill via their service it doesn't show as pending or anything until the receiving party cashes the check. So you have to keep track how much you have written and what has been cashed to really know your balance. They should just show it on your checking register and deduct the amounts from your balance since they have all the needed info.

Well my 2cts...  :cool:
Mike

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 09:22:54 AM »
Funny you mentioned that. We had USAA for insurance for many years. After the whole Wells Fargo opening bogus accounts debacle we closed all of our Wells Fargo checking and savings accounts and moved them to USAA.

Now the only thing I have is my self directed 401K and Mortgage with WF. The Mortgage was sold to WF much to my disappointment but what can you do?

The only thing I don't like about USAA is you can't get any cash other than the limit on ATM's since they have no offices. Plus their online bill pay is wonky. If you pay a bill via their service it doesn't show as pending or anything until the receiving party cashes the check. So you have to keep track how much you have written and what has been cashed to really know your balance. They should just show it on your checking register and deduct the amounts from your balance since they have all the needed info.

Well my 2cts...  :cool:
They do indeed have a great deal of security there!

I have been a member for 36 years I think...And in that time I have learned how they work.

You can get as much money as you want above the daily limit, you simply need to call them first. I just did that last week. Needed to buy several things totalling over 5K so I called first and established a daily limit for that day at 6K. The next day the limit came back to the normal daily limit...

I do not like, however, that they moved their motorcycle insurance over to Progressive. USAA and progressive are polar opposites, and I protested all the way to the CEO! And I moved my motorcycle insurance over to GEICO, another no nonsense non liberal company.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 09:29:10 AM »
Where did you go to get $5K cash out of a USAA account?

They provide almost unlimited Credit Card amount. I have a $35K limit on that. No problem putting anything on the plastic card. It's taking it off that is the problem.  :facepalm:
Mike

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »
Where did you go to get $5K cash out of a USAA account?

They provide almost unlimited Credit Card amount. I have a $35K limit on that. No problem putting anything on the plastic card. It's taking it off that is the problem.  :facepalm:
I said Cash?

Sorry, I used the card for the chipper purchase, then had to buy a bunch of other stuff at different interweb and brick and mortar places...

My daily limit is not that high

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »
Yep. I meant getting cash out of a USAA Savings or Checking account. You can try to write a check to your self but no one will cash it unless you have an account with them. Especially for $5K.  :cry:
Mike

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 10:07:56 AM »
I deal with similar issues.  I bank with the John Deere credit union.  Normally it works great.  If I want a loan or anything I send an email to the banker and then later in the day walk over, sign something and get a check.  Usually a 5 min process at most.  We refinances and did several home improvement type loans a couple years ago and after the remodel moved out mortgage over too.  Very hassle free and convenient for me.  A little less convenient for my wife as she needs to stop by security to get a temporary badge to get into the office.  The only issue is cash.  I have called though and gotten my daily ATM withdrawal limit raised to $5 or $6,000 once.  I think I needed to split it up into several transactions but it was possible for me to do.  We also have a free checking account with US bank.  My wife used to work there prior to our daughter being born.  If need be I could probably get a certified check from the Deere Credit Union, drive across town and have them cash it.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 12:43:19 PM »
Yep. I meant getting cash out of a USAA Savings or Checking account. You can try to write a check to your self but no one will cash it unless you have an account with them. Especially for $5K.  :cry:

Not to keep the DOT flowing, but as bear pointed out, you can withdraw a significant amount of cash from ATMs if you have you limit raised. Kind of a pain because you may have to travel to several ATMs as they to have limits. I've got a few thousand out in this fashion before, because as you said USAA has no banks, well atleast everywhere I live. I think they have one in Phoenix and some in San Antonio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 09:13:18 PM »
THis inability to have access to one's money is somewhat troubling.

We are ATM slaves, and I wonder how much of that is by design. The account online states you have X amount, but how much of that can you actually hold??? I wonder

Years ago, I converted a bunch of money invested in equities, savings accounts and whatever into cash, silver, gold and land. I have been stuffing away the cash more and more lately. If you have to go it on your own, you need to be liquid. If the economy collapses, then cash is worthless, but gold and silver will make you wealthy, and barter will keep you alive and fed...

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 11:24:52 PM »
THis inability to have access to one's money is somewhat troubling.

We are ATM slaves, and I wonder how much of that is by design. The account online states you have X amount, but how much of that can you actually hold??? I wonder

Years ago, I converted a bunch of money invested in equities, savings accounts and whatever into cash, silver, gold and land. I have been stuffing away the cash more and more lately. If you have to go it on your own, you need to be liquid. If the economy collapses, then cash is worthless, but gold and silver will make you wealthy, and barter will keep you alive and fed...

I think it is entirely by design, but maybe that's just me. It doesn't take much for a bank to close and all atms to either be shut off or emptied of the cash they have.

Agreed on gold and silver. There are many others that can hold value in an ugly situation as well, especially when supplies become limited and more than one can actually afford, even if bought with a card.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 12:59:32 AM »
It is by design. I can't even fill a fuel tank with how it is setup.

Didn't India and Australia just go to almost an all cashless system?

Isn't there a FORD :rolleyes: in here someplace?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 01:02:37 AM »
It is by design. I can't even fill a fuel tank with how it is setup.

Didn't India and Australia just go to almost an all cashless system?

Isn't there a FORD :rolleyes: in here someplace?

I think the ford is in transit, so does that make DOT acceptable for the moment? :)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 01:04:35 AM »
OK, there is a FORD out there someplace, carry on.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 02:26:34 AM »
DOT is only involved since it is gong via commercial carrier on public roads.  :cheesy:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 07:44:41 AM »
Moral of the story is you need to carry a few ounces of gold in the glovebox in case ATMs shut down and you need to fill the thank on that beast
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 10:27:06 AM »
Nothing nor anyone is safe from the DOTing on this web site.

Like trudging through deep snow in loafers, or walking around with shoes, eleven sizes too big, or wearing a back pack containing two cinder blocks... or showing up for church on the day you are speaking to the congregation with one black and one blue sock on! It just slows you down!

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 12:30:05 AM »
LOL... annnndd we're back. Ok here's the current state of affairs. Truck landed at my house at 1am monday 4/3. But work and life got in the way so I drove it to work for few days got it up in a lift to give it my once over. I am not disappointed, being in the NW and in the car bussiness I was expecting some surface rust but this thing absolutely rust free. Believe me when I say I tried to find something wrong. Well I did but not rust. Anyways I picked up my new shoes on Thursday and promptly went into project stealth mode. Replacing the over cab lights with black lenses (LEDs coming, bulbs removed for now) as well as the reflectors on the 13 F350 mirrors with black lenses and LEDs. Then I got the boys busy with tire duty. I fee all kids need to experience the weight of changing a real tire, before the appreciate doing a Honda Civic.

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 12:40:37 AM »
Next is the chrome caps on the mirrors, should have those tomorrow. So one less bright shiny piece. We left for 4 days up to Seattle to see some family and pick up some furniture /decor crap the wife wanted @ IKEA. Which I affectionately refer to as the 7th level of hell. I hate all the mass of people herded through their maze, packed in like sardines and all stuck in a 1 way in 1 way out scenario. Not to mention the retards you battle walking 4 wide stopping every 3 feet slowing down my forward progress. :angry: . Any ways almost 600 miles were driven and I'm very happy. The extra width of the whee/tire combo helps a lot with the stance and general issues with excursions "wandering". Although I've been in contact with Cary @ CT performance in NV. He specializes in Excursion suspension and has worked up a spring setup, shackle and shock set up that is documented 2nd to none.  With what I'm towing I'm going to need to drop the $$ and do it before I through air bags on.
More to come this week, when I get my DVD player fixed, remote start installed as well as an update to the backup camera. Stay tuned for the official walk around, once I chise out all the goldfish crackers my daughter jammed into every crevice this weekend.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »
Very nice rig... and to continue the DOT'ing... I have refused to enter a IKEA since 2000. I would rather save up and pay the extra $40 and not have to put it together... that isn't to say we don't have IKEA in the house... I just haven't been the cow in the corral.  :cool:
Mike

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 11:13:15 AM »
Good looking truck, MJM!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal