Hello Guest

Author Topic: After market transmission cooler advice  (Read 2372 times)

Offline South_GA_redneck

• Registered
    • View Profile
After market transmission cooler advice
« on: April 18, 2017, 07:38:10 PM »
I have a 14 model toyota tundra with the 4.6 liter engine, I should have gone with the 5.7 but I got a good deal on the truck and can't afford to take a loss on it yet... This is my delima, the truck is rated for 7200 lbs tow capacity (not 10k like the dealer told me, i know now thats only the 5.7 model) and my new camper weighs 6700 lbs (pretty much maxed out). Last weekend I went on a five hours trip and it pulled great there and back but when I got back to my campsite and was backing it in the trans fluid overheating light came on. My question is has anyone run in to a similar situation or can anyone recommend a good aftermarket external transmission cooler? Thanks in advance! 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: After market transmission cooler advice
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 07:52:02 PM »
Heat kills transmission. You are on the right track with an external cooler.  I'd service the trans and add a cooler and a real trans temp gauge. I don't know your line routing or set up but it shouldn't be hard. Get on big enough to keep it no higher than about 220. Run synthetic if you can and a thermostatically controlled unit would be preferable if you see any weather below freezing very often. Take some pics and let's see what you are working with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 07:56:58 PM »
B&M 70266 and an Earls 501 as an example. The Earls has ports for a temp gauge too.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline South_GA_redneck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:00:48 PM »
I'll try to figure out how to post pics. For some reason it's easier to post download pics than it is ones I take... Does Tapatalk make that easier?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 08:16:53 PM »
from the tapatalk app in your phone you can snap pics and load via the app. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
I've ran both types

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13254

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-331200/overview/

One with the fan I ran on a built C4 in my EB rock crawler for years with no issue. Personally I would try the heat sink first with a trans temp guage. If it gets too hot then throw a unit with fan in there as well and run both.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline South_GA_redneck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 09:11:41 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely look into those, at this point I'm not concerned with the cost of a good cooler since it's much cheaper than a trans. I'm still under warranty but don't want to have to fight with the dealer either.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 09:25:28 PM »
IMHO I would go for the stacked plate type of cooler. I have used them and they work great, plus they are tuff.

Adding a fan is no big deal and would really help when at lower speeds or mounting out of the airflow.

They are easy to find at PnP and not real $$$ when bought new for what you get.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-331118/overview/
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 10:37:04 PM »
good call Shawn.  I almost mounted one under the bed of my truck that had a fan mounted.  It would keep from cluttering the stack and affecting the engine or AC temps.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 12:00:57 PM »
I put a Hayden trans cooler on my '01 Tacoma, was super easy and worked really well.

They're different trains of thought on whether to install before or after the stock cooler in the rad. I think I did before since it can get cold up here in the PNW.

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Mrwoody

• Registered
    • View Profile

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal