VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Bikes Motorcycles, S x S's, Tractors, and Mowers

UTV buying advice

<< < (2/8) > >>

CHEVSILVER1500:
Polaris ranger crew. Room for the whole family and plenty of room and power for working. Rides like a Cadillac. Dad has a 2014 crew 800. We've had it loaded down with 4 folks, a golden retriever, tools and more tools, 800 pounds of deer corn, all while pulling a small utility trailer loaded with 30 60# sacks of quickrete. Never missed a beat and did not struggle at all making driving through the lease out around garner state park.

I know some folks have a sour taste in their mouth about the belt drive, but if you follow owners manual recommendations and use low range when towing or in heavy load situations you will have zero issues.

I'm currently considering purchasing the Polaris general myself just because it is a tad more sporty than the ranger, but not as sport/play oriented as the rzr. Not quite as much payload capacity as the ranger but you have to give a little to get a little I suppose.

TexasRedNeck:

--- Quote from: nmeyer414 on April 30, 2017, 01:56:04 PM ---so why are you getting rid of the 5th wheel?  and are you getting rid of the dually as well?

--- End quote ---

Nate, not using the trailer much now that we have our weekend place.  Banks will only finance until they are 5 years old so I want to get rid of it now before it gets any older.  I'm paying $150 a month to store it in a covered location.  I doubt I'll get rid of the dually.  Love my dually.  Unless I sell both trucks and by a F450 Platinum.....rofl.  I think I'd get more family time with a pontoon boat so I may go that route.  Eventually we'll get another RV but probably a smaller bumper pull that I can keep at the weekend place.  When the kids are gone, we hope to have a small diesel pusher for retirement and spend summers up north.

--- Quote from: CHEVSILVER1500 on May 01, 2017, 07:09:34 AM ---
i had heard something about the CVT.  What problems are people having?  I'm looking at the kawasaki too.
Polaris ranger crew. Room for the whole family and plenty of room and power for working. Rides like a Cadillac. Dad has a 2014 crew 800. We've had it loaded down with 4 folks, a golden retriever, tools and more tools, 800 pounds of deer corn, all while pulling a small utility trailer loaded with 30 60# sacks of quickrete. Never missed a beat and did not struggle at all making driving through the lease out around garner state park.

I know some folks have a sour taste in their mouth about the belt drive, but if you follow owners manual recommendations and use low range when towing or in heavy load situations you will have zero issues.

I'm currently considering purchasing the Polaris general myself just because it is a tad more sporty than the ranger, but not as sport/play oriented as the rzr. Not quite as much payload capacity as the ranger but you have to give a little to get a little I suppose.

--- End quote ---

I heard about the CVT.  What problems are people having?  I'm also looking at the kawasaki

Bear9350:
I don't know much about UTV's but we make the JD Gators here in Horicon at the same location as the riding mowers I work on.  I know our Gators got some pretty good marks when compared to others by some offraoding groups.

KensAuto:
There's a reason Polaris is #1 in the utv world, just sayin'. Do they have issues? well, depends on how they're used. The gators, mules, etc. definately have their place, and may be more durable in some cases, but for a smooth ride with on highway capabilities, a ranger is the way to go IMO.
In my little circle, we have 7 rangers, one RZR, and 2 can ams (probably better than the rangers, but also more pricey).

If you go looking at a ranger crew, try to go for a 14 or newer if you want to be able to accelerate without having to add a turbo. lol

CHEVSILVER1500:
Biggest issue people have with the CVT is the belt. Lots of folks "burn" belts left and right, but it's because they don't use low and high range like they should or they have tires installed that would make square d's tires look like something off a Kia. Any time climbing or pulling, or even ar speeds under say 10mph low range should be used. Stating the obvious here, but low range is geared lower thus making it easier to get the tires rolling under stress and putting less wear and heat on the belt.

All it takes is a little glaze to form on the outside edges of the belt to cause it to become more and more succeptible to slippage, but use the right gear and you should never get that far. On my 2008 sportsman I've burnt one belt over the years and it was from some of that misuse I mentioned before along with a little adult beverage involvement. Other than that zero issues out of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version