Hello Guest

Author Topic: Anyone cook Wagyu?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Anyone cook Wagyu?
« on: May 03, 2017, 07:20:11 AM »
I got a whole ribeye uncut of wagyu. My neighbor raises it. Black Angus cows with a wagyu bull. He said don't over cook it or its just like a regular steak. I was thinking sear both sides and call it done. I have no experience with this and don't want to screw it up.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone cook Wagyu?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:43:36 AM »
wagyu has a lot more fat in the cut and you don't want to over render it. a reverse sear is a great technique for really high marbling like a ribeye. I would only do this with 1" or thicker cut steaks:

1.Preheat oven to 275f

2.Place well seasoned, ROOM TEMPERATURE steaks on a rack over a baking tray. Just salt and pepper and don't be shy.

3.Put in oven and cook to an internal temp of 110-115f (mostly rare, but important) your preference of doneness doesn't matter here.*

4.Remove when at temp and rest for 10-15 minutes under foil

5.Preheat a cast iron skillet or heavy based pan to screamingly hot, no oil needed.

6.Sear steaks for one minute each side

7.Serve immediately, or you can get crazy and throw a big pat of butter in the pan at the last second and baste that sucker for a few extra seconds, then devour! This will not be necessary but still fun, who doesn't like butter?*

I'm extremely jealous and require photos of the end product Jon. :angry:

Edit for clarity. I have made some amendments to my instructions after talking with a cook that has more experience. DO NOT over cook this or I will come and relieve you of your cooking duties!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:59:55 PM by EL TATE »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone cook Wagyu?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »
I think you need/want to cook it long enough to allow the marble fat to render for the flavor. (And not sure of how thick you'll be cutting them so the time will vary). Yes it should be faster than other "regular" steaks but I wouldn't go with the 1 minute like I have seen some recommend. If its cooked that short I would think the middle is still raw and I doubt the marbling would have a chance to render.

But I am no expert so I would look around. Maybe call a restaurant that you know serves Wagyu and ask them?   

ETA just saw Tate's response- I like that idea. One of my favorite steaks is a strip done with Paul Prudhomme Blackened Steak Magic. Coat the steak.....blistering hot fry pan with butter....put the steak in....the butter and the seasoning creates a great crust. A little warm bright pink center....mmmm.

And ditto the pics needed. Cause I need to drool over my computer more.... ha!  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:54:52 AM by Wilbur »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal