Hello Guest

Author Topic: Welder pics, Setup and advice with welding.  (Read 9337 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Welder pics, Setup and advice with welding.
« on: May 10, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »
Ok guys, lets get a little thread going on what you have for a welder. Mig, gas, tig or stick.

Lets see some pics, why you got that and tips for the novice guys (include me, just enough to be dangerous)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 12:10:57 AM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Welder pics, Setup and advice.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »
I have, the standard tanks running HF torches and never had an issue with them.

I have had a couple smaller 120 migs (both Lincoln) and got a Miller 211 a couple years back. It is 120/240 and has auto settings I rarely use. I use it with gas only.

Also have a Thermal Dynamic Plasma cutter 42. Put them both on the same cart (need a bigger one now) and it is 120/240 also.

I also modified the stock cart to handle both the Mig and the plasma; http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=606.msg6953#msg6953
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 12:12:56 AM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Welder pics, Setup and advice.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 04:49:02 PM »
I too have the 211 autoset, which I think I have used the auto feature only once or twice. I am barely dangerous when it comes to welding, never was really taught anything about it, just picked up the mig gun at the shop in lejeune and went to town.

One thing with smaller machines it is imperative to know the duty cycle of your machine, especially if you are using it at max capacity.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:51:01 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 06:42:03 PM »
We have a Miller 252 in the shop. Should have gotten a bigger one. My brother wanted to get a spool gun for welding aluminum. They are not compatible with the 252. Maybe they are now but they weren't at the time we inquired about it.
We also installed a John Deere welderator on the service truck. Stick Welder, generator, and air compressor all in one. I don't know if its something I would use all day every day but it has handled everything I've thrown at it.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 10:34:09 PM »
Miller 212 and hypertherm 45 in the shop

Will be adding to the collection for farm duties...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 12:13:47 AM »
Miller XMT 304 cc/cv & old school oxy acetylene torch (torch because it has more capabilities than a hand plasma for the record if you know how to use one anyhow).

Welder has air arc capabilities but have yet to try out that option. Definitely not the setup for exhaust work.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Welder pics, Setup and advice with welding.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 12:36:10 AM »
I have also done a lot of stick welding. DC is my favorite and much of that was implement repair. Learned a lot of basics doing that.

Am going to try using a small flux core wire on my next exhaust and see how it goes. For the body work I am using a copper plate behind the small holes to plug that stops burn through.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 07:36:13 AM »
I have a Lincoln Power Mig 255.  It is an little bit older of a unit I bought used a few years back.  I own a 120 tank for it but lease a 300 because I was going through the 120 so fast and this way I have a back-up on hand should I run out on a Friday night like I usually do.  I recently replaced the whip with a Tregaskis.  I was surprised how much better the welder performed by just switching that over. Not really sure why but it just seems to run smoother.

I also have a Hypotherm plasma torch.  Not sure which one it is at the moment.  Might be the 45 or possibly the size under that.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:44:48 AM »
My mig is a no name 'Deca' that I picked up in 2004 new for 399.99 at Princess Auto. (Our equivalent to Harbor Freight) it's a 240 volt only unit 180A capable. Will do gas and flux core.
No auto anything but does a good job. No clue how many hundreds of pounds of wire it's ate up over the years. Been a solid little unit.
Have two arc welder so, one Lincoln, not sure on the other.

Looking to get a plasma at some point.

Have been looking at the multi process machines hard, no real need for tig capability right now, but the option would be nice. Then I could learn how to do it...lol.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »
I have a Lincoln Power Mig 255.  It is an little bit older of a unit I bought used a few years back.  I own a 120 tank for it but lease a 300 because I was going through the 120 so fast and this way I have a back-up on hand should I run out on a Friday night like I usually do.  I recently replaced the whip with a Tregaskis.  I was surprised how much better the welder performed by just switching that over. Not really sure why but it just seems to run smoother.

I also have a Hypotherm plasma torch.  Not sure which one it is at the moment.  Might be the 45 or possibly the size under that.

I personally had a 255, the stock whip is junk. Ran several of them in my old shop (day job), first upgrade was always a 400 amp tweco gun & whip. Problem with the stock whip is the unit will easily heat up the gun & things get tight (wire won't feed). A good gun is designed to work under harsh conditions. Other tip that helps when welding long & hard is to run the next size up tip. So if you're running .035 wire don't run .035 tips FYI just bump it up a size. The machine won't notice the difference but you will. New whips come in longer lengths too, 12' is max length I recommend. Anything over that & you will cause yourself more headaches.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:34:22 AM by stlaser »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 08:56:36 AM »
That makes sense.  I will have to try running the next size tips.  I need to order a bunch for this new whip.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 09:00:39 AM »
General welding tip.  Make sure you clean your hood lens often.  You would be surprised how just a little bit of a film will affect how well you can see.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 11:38:32 AM »
Tell me more about the Tregaskis whip? Just have my stock miller now which works OK and I eat up tips (good idea on upping the size).

I like the idea of the 12' also, get tired of pulling the machine close to my work which ends being a sloped driveway most of the time.

I used to coat the gas hood with anti-splatter, just been to lazy for that lately.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
The whip I have was given to me by a buddy.  They were getting rid of some Miller welders at work and this whip was left behind.   He gave it to me about 5 yrs ago and I just had it hanging on the wall.  I was originally told it would be expensive to get it to work on my Lincoln.  About 2 months ago I had a bumper roll off my welding table and slice the Lincoln whip open.  A new Lincoln whip would have cost north of $350 I was told.  I did some research for Tregaskiss and found all I needed was a power pin to get it to run on my Lincoln.  I found somebody selling it on Ebay for $20.

When I was looking online for the parts I would need it looked like you would be spending $600 - $700 for a new one.  I really didn't look into that end of it to much though.  Both the old and new whip are 12' I think.  Sometimes I wish it was longer like when I was working on this trailer project but generally it is a good length.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »
Looks like Bernard is the parent company. Ebay has them for around $200. I do need a longer whip though and a nicer gun would be good. I remember getting a teflon liner for my old 125 lincoln and it helped.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
Our tweco whips ran around $300 FYI. I've used tregaskiss stuff & it seems as good as tweco imo. We also ran Bernard & a lot of their stuff works with Tweco, again similar quality.

More tips, I always use screw on 2 piece nozzles. Do not run the push on nozzles they suck. The other thing to be careful of is that the tip should be recessed inside the end of the nozzle a good 1/8-1/4" if it is protruding past the end if the nozzle you either have a mismatched setup or in some cases you may be missing a washer that acts as a spacer for the nozzle as some setups run.

If you buy junk Chinese imported wire expect poor results possibly. Granted we ran off brand wire for non air tight welds etc but if you're building pressure vessels or barges / high stress structural welds etc run the high dollar Lincoln wire. My opinion is that it's the best wire available.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
The last spool of wire I bought I tried some stuff from Harris.  They are a Lincoln subsidiary.  I found it online and with Prime shipping it was substantially cheaper than buying a spool at Airgas or Praxair.  It seems to be running very nicely so far.  I buy 44lbs though so there may not be as much of a difference for some of you guys buying smaller spools.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 04:50:32 PM »
Our tweco whips ran around $300 FYI. I've used tregaskiss stuff & it seems as good as tweco imo. We also ran Bernard & a lot of their stuff works with Tweco, again similar quality.

More tips, I always use screw on 2 piece nozzles. Do not run the push on nozzles they suck. The other thing to be careful of is that the tip should be recessed inside the end of the nozzle a good 1/8-1/4" if it is protruding past the end if the nozzle you either have a mismatched setup or in some cases you may be missing a washer that acts as a spacer for the nozzle as some setups run.

If you buy junk Chinese imported wire expect poor results possibly. Granted we ran off brand wire for non air tight welds etc but if you're building pressure vessels or barges / high stress structural welds etc run the high dollar Lincoln wire. My opinion is that it's the best wire available.

I would take his advice people. remember the welds on the Cmax diff cover? I've only ever used a little craftsman stick welder. Dad bought me a really nice miller for Christmas one year and it along with my top box were stolen out of the back of the wagoneer in my apt complex. never got to even wire up the welder.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »
Welding wire is drawn from green rod, a few years back china flooded the market with some low buck green rod and if I recall correctly we had a shortage of American made green rod (can't recall why exactly). Anyhow what I'm getting at is there is most likely more than one manufacturer using American green rod. I always bought the lincoln wire but am sure there are others of equal quality.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 11:20:06 PM »
I always bought the lincoln wire but am sure there are others of equal quality.

Is there a difference in Lincoln wire depending on the location you buy it? Say lowes or Home Depot versus Aztec welding supply? Kind of like there is supposedly a difference in tools from big box stores and dedicated tool stores.....

Having only ever fully destroyed an angle grinder and no other tools, the tool comparison from locations is a non issue for me if it does exist. But the wire thing, yea that is bought from several places. Lowes is best because of the 10% discount.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 11:57:44 PM »
I only ever bought it in 44 # spools, well we bought a barrel once for our robot but that really doesn't apply. It's Lincoln super arc L56 is the product & we bought it in .035 & .045

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 12:25:22 AM »
Excellent tip on the tips Shawn. The only time it really matters is when you're trying to do something precise, like splicing body panels with .023, if you use a bigger tip the wire will tend to work back and forth, like magnetism pushing it away from where you want to weld . At least that's what I've seen.
Another thing, keep the wire dry. If it surface rusts, it will slip on the rollers and play hell on the liner.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 07:56:52 AM »
For surface rust or dirt on the wire, first keep the spool of wire covered when not in use. Simple cardboard box over the spool will work for this. Second they make wire cleaners that snap on the wire before it inters the liner (so between roll of wire and liner) that is a must have and all welding supplies sell them for a couple bucks. The ones I use are made by tweco & come in a two pack. Looks like a piece of steel wool folded in half and then has a metal clip that slips over it once it's on the wire. It just rides on the wire keeping the liner clean.

Another tip, other than pinched liners they don't go bad per say but do get dirty. Pull liner every few months (having a spare in a plastic bag helps) and then soak liner in mineral spirits for a day. After day of soaking pull liner & blow it out with compressed air. Good as new.....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:59:51 AM by stlaser »

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 09:22:29 AM »
I've been giving some real serious thought about getting a slightly bigger MIG welder.  I currently have a Lincoln SP-175, and have been thinking about jumping to a 210 amp machine of some sort. Just for times when I would do a small bit of 1/4".

The ESAB welders seem to be impressing a lot of people. The ESAB Rebel EM215ic (MIG and flux only) looks really good for the money (The EMP215ic is the multi-process version), and their sMIG (smart MIG) feature seems to be quite impressive as well from people I've talked to. Normally I wouldn't stray too far from Miller for Lincoln, but ESAB has a good reputation, and local dealer is only 20 mins away!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »
20 min is worth the drive for a welder. I hear good things about ESAB also, but never used one.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »
One of the units I've used at work was an Esab.
It's been a solid machine. No clue on what model, just works good.
I wouldn't be scared of it, especially at only 20 mins away.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 02:06:14 PM »
Esab are fine machines (core units anyhow), if it were me I would step up to any 250 unit versus a 200. Real shops will use a 250 but will pass on a 200 so the 250 will hold its money better. The drive feeds on the feeder are what I would look at along with the duty cycle. If you don't understand duty cycles have the dealer explain it to you. My 2 cents...

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
Welder pics, Setup and advice with welding.
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »
I have to say I love my Miller 211 with auto set . Haven't used on 110v yet but has great power and bead for a rookie welder like me. I have yet to put the Hypertherm through it paces yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:41:17 PM by cruizng »
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
That 45 cutter is a beast for it's size. I think you'll enjoy burning steel with that.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 06:45:33 PM »
I have the 211 also, well worth the $$$. I have used it on 110, but 220 is so much better. Get the biggest tank you can. It is usually easy to trade up also when you echange.

I have also had the Plasma 45, now I have a 40. Both work great.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 03:20:04 PM »
Just found out my 211 will not take a 15ft gun. I was looking to upgrade as I always seem to be right at the end welding gun.

So do I upgrade to the new 211 (or better) or just live with it?

The new 211 is smaller and has a better drive system and will handle the 15ft gun.

Then there is the Esab I hear so much about but not sure if there is a local dealer. Have a welder supply in town and a fastenal. Better dealer is 30 minutes away, but where I go for my gas.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »
The dealer I go to has the Esab's and they come with the tweko guns. Temped if they would swap out for the 15ft gun.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
The dealer I go to has the Esab's and they come with the tweko guns. Temped if they would swap out for the 15ft gun.

we're giving away the ESAB Rebels in a big promotion here at RANDYS. Any real world experience with these things, Shawn? you've always got $0.50 to chime in...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 05:31:49 PM »
I saw the contest, would be sweet.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »
Giving away huh... send one on down to me :)

Oh, I guess i'd probably need to buy something first huh?....
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2017, 05:55:06 PM »
I see nothing on Randy's site

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2017, 06:06:56 PM »

we're giving away the ESAB Rebels in a big promotion here at RANDYS. Any real world experience with these things, Shawn? you've always got $0.50 to chime in...

Not that particular model, but I've never ran an esab that I disliked either. We always purchased at bare min a 250 unit & would immediately upgrade to a 400 amp gun (typically tweco) with 12' lead. If you need a longer lead get a longer power cord as you're asking for trouble the longer you get. That's my opinion.....

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2017, 06:22:14 PM »
It's a wholesale promo deal, so not listed online. IF collectively, Realman group came up with $10,500 between now and Sept, we'd give ONE of the EMP215IC units that does mig, stick, and tig. You can see how this works better for a shop rather than a forum group. Anywhoo, I was just looking for some feedback from somebody that might have actually used one so I can sound somewhat intelligent when I promote them.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 12:13:55 AM »
Thanks Tate. The more I read the more I like the Esab Rebel. A lot on youtube and a few other sites. I see the Tweco brand on it sometimes, looks like the parent co.

I have been thinking about a stick machine and wanted a Tig machine for some time. The Rebel does it all (cept alum tig). I also saw it welds 1/4 inch on 120ac very well and adjusts to the user in use.

So with what it would cost to have other machines and upgrade mine, I find it is cheaper to get 1 machine that does it all. The miller seems to hold its value very well also and mine looks new.

This would be a great welder for someone with a farm/ranch needing to do it all in a 40lb machine.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2017, 06:36:51 PM »
Anyone have an argument for a mig vs a stick welder.   Welding a new tongue jack on my big enclosed this past week. Yes outside.  I could tell when a breeze was blowing my gas off and my weld would turn to Instant crap.  Than the gas would catch up. 

Do you fight elements as much with a stick welder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2017, 06:45:47 PM »
Anyone have an argument for a mig vs a stick welder.   Welding a new tongue jack on my big enclosed this past week. Yes outside.  I could tell when a breeze was blowing my gas off and my weld would turn to Instant crap.  Than the gas would catch up. 

With a mig the gas keeps the weld free of contaminations. The reason you don't weld with gas outside is well because of breezes as you found out. Its the main reason you see pipe line welders with big stick units on their flat bed trucks. Stick welders use flux on the rod to do the same thing, thus the reason you chip it off the weld when completing a stick welding pass. There are ways to protect a mig welder from a breeze when welding outside its just a big pain and stick is normally faster in the long run.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »

With a mig the gas keeps the weld free of contaminations. The reason you don't weld with gas outside is well because of breezes as you found out. Its the main reason you see pipe line welders with big stick units on their flat bed trucks. Stick welders use flux on the rod to do the same thing, thus the reason you chip it off the weld when completing a stick welding pass. There are ways to protect a mig welder from a breeze when welding outside its just a big pain and stick is normally faster in the long run.
So being the small do it myself guy I have a number of simple projects that I could simply solve with nuts n bolts but welding is much longer lasting.  I would think a stick welder would be far simpler for my uses.  I can lay a bead a bunch better with the stick than a mig.   I’ll go take some pictures of the tongue

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2017, 06:56:28 PM »
Sorry for the paint but it started raining
Some practice before I started

I took some plate drilled some spot weld holes in the back, filled holes, welded the rest of the plate, than welded plate to my trailer.
My first pass on the right of the plate was slick as could be. The left side I fought like hell to get a decent flow from.  I ground the weld out twice and gave up as the weather got worse

It’s in there solid for sure but i think a stick welder could have been easier

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »
Dave did you weld that lying flat or uphill?

Reason is, you use two different techniques when welding vertical with stick vs mig

With a Mig you can weld going down, starting from the top. If its adjusted right, it will fill in just fine

But you start at the bottom and go up with a stick welder. Plus with a stick you go left-right-left, touching each piece as you proceed upward and pause just long enough to control the puddle. Its all about the puddle of melt with the stick and going uphill. On the welding test I took back in the day, that and overhead welding were the two big challenges.

A stick in the hands of someone like Shawn is a magical thing. Mig has less finesse in my view, but it gets the job done easily and is very forgiving. Stick welding requires practice and a pretty steady hand.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2017, 08:35:06 PM »
I have had plenty of stick welding and mig from high school. Three years but that was many years ago and I have forgotten most. 
I welded that jack with the mig pushing all up the hill.  The left wouldn’t lay flat for me like it had a contaminant in the metal or the gas was non existent

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2017, 08:49:19 PM »

Reason is, you use two different techniques when welding vertical with stick vs mig

With a Mig you can weld going down, starting from the top. If its adjusted right, it will fill in just fine

But you start at the bottom and go up with a stick welder. Plus with a stick you go left-right-left, touching each piece as you proceed upward and pause just long enough to control the puddle. Its all about the puddle of melt with the stick and going uphill. On the welding test I took back in the day, that and overhead welding were the two big challenges.

A stick in the hands of someone like Shawn is a magical thing. Mig has less finesse in my view, but it gets the job done easily and is very forgiving. Stick welding requires practice and a pretty steady hand.

Technically, you're not supposed to weld down with a mig either. If it's a structural weld I would advise against it.

Don is correct though that there is no weld with a stick called vertical down, it doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:26:06 PM by stlaser »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2017, 09:55:19 PM »

Technically, you're not supposed to weld down with a mig either. If it's a structural weld I would advise against it.

Don is correct though that there is no weld with a stick called vertical down, it doesn't exist.
Lost with vertical down? I welded that with the plate against the frame, couldn’t lay it on its side.   

I understand vertical to be as if you were welding up or down a wall. A vertical surface.   

A flat would be something like on a table or horizontal joint,

Tube is simply tube.   

Upside down would leave me burned and on fire I assume

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2017, 09:56:57 PM »
https://youtu.be/ZZmuP23T4to

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »
Vertical = up or down weld

Horizontal = side to side

So when welding vertical always start at bottom & work your way upwards. You would think you should start at the top & let gravity work your way down. However, you do not get any penetration this way. You can make a mig weld look good going down & if it's only for asthetics it's ok (thinking light sheet metal etc) but if it's a structural joint such as welding a coupler on the front of a trailer etc it's a no go.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2017, 11:11:14 PM »
That’s why I pushed up

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal