Hello Guest

Author Topic: Boating Safety Checklist  (Read 9995 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Boating Safety Checklist
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »
I'll be putting together a list of items I'm going through on the new-to-me seachicken. (might even call her that) prior to her first launch Saturday. If anyone has any thoughts to add, please feel free. I've been boating my whole life, owned PWC's and launched, piloted and parked boats, but never owned one, so someone else has always been doing the pre-flight so to speak.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Boating Safety Checklist
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:51:36 AM »
Make sure you have at least one oar. A necessity if you ever have engine trouble.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
Sounds like you're definitely not a rookie in this space, but you asked for folks to chime in, so i'll oblige  :beercheers:

I'm a really habitual person, with reliance on routines, especially with the boat, so i'll kind of lay out what i do. Safety is also really important to me, because so much can go wrong on the water. Of course, first thing first, life jacket inventory, flares, throwable floatation device, fire extinguisher, blah blah all the "law stuff" i check once a year. Lots of places check, either USGC or Sheriff, before they let you launch, and some check when you pull out and cite you if you don't have em, so don't mess around with not having that stuff in tip top. Above and beyond the stuff that's required by law, get yourself a nice Danforth anchor, with 10' or so of rode chain, and a couple hundred feed of good nylon line. Good safety equipment in case you break down, and also having an anchor is nice if you like just hanging out in a cove or something. Also, get yourself a boat hook. Essential equipment if you ask me. Also have a few heavy duty stainless carabiners on board. Nice to have if hooking up to a mooring buoy, etc. I also went and got a bunch of those cheap orange life preservers and stuffed them into a storage compartment we never use, as cheap insurance in case somebody wanders off with one of the 'good ones', i'll still have enough for everybody on board at all times.

As for routines, my main routines are around launching and trailering. When I arrive at the launch, normally my wife and I take the covers off together. Then she puts the lines and fenders on whichever side we're going to be launching on. I take off the stern trailer straps, and on my way back to truck, release the bow winch tension and remove the safety chain. Putting the straps in my tool box, I GRAB MY CRESCENT WRENCH AND DRAIN PLUG from my truck box, and return to the stern to install. Normally by this time, wife is done with lines and fenders, I then hand her my phone and wallet (so it doesn't get wet lol) and ask her to turn on the blower. After that we're ready to launch

When we return to the dock to trailer, first thing I do is run my finger accross all the toggle switches to make sure all accessories are off. On my way to grab my wallet, phone, and truck keys, I raise the outdrive. Huge huge thing to get in the habit of remembers. Seen way to many guys trash their skeg by forgetting this. Once on the trailer, and up out of the way, we kind of go through the reverse of the launching steps. Grab straps and crescent wrench from tool box, pull the drain plug, then after wife has removed lines and fenders, and handed me all the crap from in the boat, we put the covers back on, and away we go.

In my experience and observation, the biggest things people forget that are the drain plug at launch, and raising the outdrive when trailering.

Some other things that i have on board that aren't critical, but good to have are a spare prop and a prop wrench. They make specific prop wrenches that float that are pretty handy.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:08:58 PM »
Safety equip. arrives today and tomorrow via Rainforest prime. Launching checklist sounds similar to PWC launch minus the fenders and dock lines. 10/4 on the cover duty, but quick question; These covers are SUPER tight and I physically cannot snap the aft side for nothing. I think UV exposure and heat have them shrunk a bit. Any pro tips on stretching these bad boys out or should I just get a new cover ordered up? we have Otters and the boat will be on mooring buoy for the summer and I want to keep it protected. Also, anyone deal with attaching covers while on the water often?

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 12:13:35 PM »
No tips on stretching, but when covering on the water, I work bow to stern. Bow cover first, then start at the windshield, the down the sides, and finally finish the stern from the swim step. Usually then it's time for a swim, or hop on a little raft or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »

Tate, I would bet the cold air and not being used lately is why the covers seem too small. Snap up as many as possible and let it stretch a bit in the warm air then snap some more. A bit of lube on the snaps will help too, don't want to pull the snap out of the cover or break off the boat. A few extra snaps and a tool in a bag is nice to have for when you break one.
You might want to rethink leaving the boat on a buoy for the summer, maybe a long weekend or even a week or two, it will start growing stuff if you leave it in the water all summer. You have to store the trailer anyway, leave the boat on it when you are not using it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:07:31 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »
Clarifying statement:

the boat will live on the buoy, but will come out of the water weekly for a bath and equipment check. I have too many different friends in warm beach tell me the same to ignore it. One had a small hull crack that slowly filled the cavity in the hull over time. when they finally recovered the boat it was frighteningly easy to spot and a weekly wash could have saved them a lot of trouble. it's got a radiator so there is no seawater cooling to worry about.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 01:48:02 PM »
SPARE DRAIN PLUG
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »
SPARE DRAIN PLUG

Yes, I keep one in the glove box of the boat, with a wrench, in case I'm careless and do forget and I'm out on the water. Happened to my neighbor, nearly sunk

NRA Life Member

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
I was going ot say spare drain plug but someone beat me to it. I would add that you want to make sure to have a float on your boat key. Kids like to play with things that make cars and boats go. Ask me how I know.  :facepalm:

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »
SPARE DRAIN PLUG

Yes, I keep one in the glove box of the boat, with a wrench, in case I'm careless and do forget and I'm out on the water. Happened to my neighbor, nearly sunk

Loads of good info above. The cover will stretch, and do get some of the spare bits for when you will need them.
Get your launching and loading ritual embedded in the brain case group.
Don't get distracted whilst performing said ritual.

I found out my boat floats without the plug in...Lund 1825 rebel sport...
I was distracted during my launch ritual.
Put the plug in, launched, drove to cabin.
Parked at the dock, went about my business that was to be done.
Came back an hour or so later to 6-8" of water above the floor...
One pump, no good, two pumps, started gaining ground.
Once it was an inch or so above the floor I went for one of my spare plugs to put in, as it must have fallen out coming across the lake. Put the plug in, pumped it dry and headed home. Got back to the marina, loaded up, and when I went to pull the plug, I had two in he back of the boat... :rolleyes:

Turns out when I was distracted by my buddy, I put the plug in the live well drain! :knucklehead:

Have your ritual and stay focussed...

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:26:15 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 02:25:12 PM »
Thank you all. I'm really hoping to keep murphy at bay this trip, but I want to have everything at the ready if he shows up

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 02:41:24 PM »
This might be overkill but I used to have a 20' Tiderunner that we would take out on the Sound when I lived in Tacoma. I would throw in my dry suit (not wet suit) when we would go out just in case it turned really nasty or god forbid I had to get in the 45-50 degree water. The only time I put it on other than water skiing was when I was out and it turned really bad and I was having trouble getting through under the Narrows Bridge. I didn't time it very well and the tide was swirls were crazy. I tossed it on and was toasty even though the heavy water spray was coming on board. The other passenger wasn't so lucky and huddled under the canvas cabin. 

The boat was solid and I didn't have any fear of sinking, just miserable.

Not sure what radio you have but that is one other thing I would add. Long range antenna with good marine band so you can call for help if needed. I had one mounted in the boat.

Spot light... so you could make your way back...

Could be a lot more depending how far off shore or away from home you plan on going.

Nice boat by the way!

:likebutton:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 03:01:39 PM »
Spare drainplug, check
spotlight, check
Drysuit... maybe in the future, but we're just putting around for now in the bay. labor day weekend we'll be running out to deception pass and Roache Harbor w/ my dad and uncle. might want it for that trip.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »
Spare drainplug, check
spotlight, check
Drysuit... maybe in the future, but we're just putting around for now in the bay. labor day weekend we'll be running out to deception pass and Roache Harbor w/ my dad and uncle. might want it for that trip.
Roche Harbor is one of my favorite places on planet earth. LOTS of memories there as a kid.

NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »
two years ago on my uncles grady white, (really nice boat btw) there was only one spot available at the docks and it was on a very loooooong accessable pier. we came back a few hours later after lunch and his boat had grown into a giant megayacht with it's own mini yacht inside of the mega yacht. The "mini yacht" was double the size of his GW. we were tied off at "Alcatraz" and had to beg the harbormaster to pardon us and bring the boat back to the dock. guess we missed the GIANT lettering on the side of the pier where it said 80ft and over only...

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 04:21:15 PM »
Dawg, what's a boat "hook"? You talkin' winch hook?

I only have one thing to add to your list....a separate savings stash for boat repairs. :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »

I only have one thing to add to your list....a separate savings stash for boat repairs. :)

I know, I know...Still reading so won't screw up this time....

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
Just because Arizona Boats look like this:

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 05:08:15 PM »

Just because Arizona Boats look like this:
:likebutton: :likebutton: :likebutton: ...But there is a lot of water down there
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:08:46 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 07:24:31 PM »
I think everyone else has provided really good ideas with spare drain plugs, safety equipment, marine radio etc. Depending on if you think you may get caught in bad weather and need to wait it out a second anchor can make for a much more stable "wait". Obviously lots of line is needed to get purchase in rough seas but not swinging back and forth on one line can make a difference (I wont say pleasurable but less of a pita).

One other thing I would definitely do and this isn't so much equipment as it is knowledge and that's memorizing what lights mean for other boats if you find your self out after dark. I read a really nasty story about a fishing boat that had a rookie driving....crew was asleep and he obviously didn't know the lights on a tow vessel and the barge it was towing.... he probably thought they were two different boats and he tried to go between them....it was a 1/2" tow cable or something and it sheared the fishing boat basically in two and killed everyone on board.

Also knowing the currents in your area are critical. My Dad used to sail and found himself near the Cape Cod Canal in a big sailboat (2 masted schooner). He anchored outside of the canal and he and another guy tried to take the small launch in to get a bearing to guide the sailboat in (this was pre-GPS/electronics days and the sailing camp he was working at was near the southern mouth of the canal). The current sucked them into the canal and in the fog they couldn't see anything. They could hear a ships horn but couldn't see. Suddenly in the fog they saw rivets of a hull passing by them about 7 or 8 feet away. Pure luck of the draw that they survived. Obviously a lot of stuff has been made safer with GPS etc. but still makes sense to know exactly what the currents will do one what tides, etc.

Last thing I would say is don't be afraid to say "nope....not going out." I know a lot of people will (as my wife says) "let the decision make the decision for them". They have friends visiting from away and had a nice day planned so they push the envelope a bit not wanting to bail on a trip. And it ends up going bad. I had this happen to a friend. He finally bailed when they stopped on a remote shore and spent a long rainy night. But the other guys thought he was a _____ for getting out and tried to go back in 6' seas and darn near drowned. Pure luck the Coast Guard found them when the motor died and the boat had swamped and they got towed back to safety. You're the captain and have to own every decision for safety of people that either don't know or take it seriously. It's like what Laurence Gonzales says in his book Deep Survival....its never one decision that kills people. Its one decision that builds on another decision that's compounded by another decision, etc.. And when you add them all up, that's when people die.

Now that I've been a total downer....have a blast! Looks like a great boat and you'll have a lot of fun. It would be much better in Patriots blue of course. haha. :)

Here's a link to his book btw- a great read about survival situations:

https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Survival-Who-Lives-Dies/dp/0393353710/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495754050&sr=8-1&keywords=deep+survival+by+laurence+gonzales

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 08:33:16 PM »
Captains Hat

Ascot

Pipe

Wooden Leg

Parrot
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:34:00 PM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 11:45:36 PM »
Captains Hat

Ascot

Pipe

Wooden Leg

Parrot

And the cask of rum since we're pirating this up now...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 11:54:22 PM »

Boat hook:
http://m.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Floating-Telescoping-Boat-Hook&i=38798&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3338373938&s_kwcid=adwords__&gclid=CjwKEAjwgZrJBRDS38GH1Kv_vGYSJAD8j4DftEfinZfYRjaxZrbCAQesV29vGu8WSLW2HC91VN0v1RoCJsbw_wcB

Good for a-Pushin' and a-Pullin'... other boats, docks, lines in the water, mooring buoys, etc

NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 12:06:35 AM »
OK the book is finished.. :beercheers: ..I use mine more often than the paddle. Even works good for grabbing pot line buoys, and the downrigger ball when in rougher water.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 01:35:41 AM »
Captains Hat

Ascot

Pipe

Wooden Leg

Parrot

No wenches? :laugh:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 05:47:31 AM »
Cruzing hit my my add: The floating marine band radio.  not to be captain obvious (get it?):
Floating key chain for boat and truck keys.  Otter box for wallet and phone.  Floating GPS and laminated map of the water I went to most often.  I used the dedicated GPS because cell phones don't always have service and the breadcrumbs make it easy to get back.  You can also buy detailed maps for the GPS for the water you visit most to help with fishing spots, other points of interests.  GPS also lets you mark MOB (man overboard) and other important locations.  I needed that in my home lake because there were many submerged hazards in certain areas  and it helped me remember and avoid them.

I would also add extra rope and anchor of different type like a mushroom.  Easy to handle and perfect for calm small coves.  Also remember you need 8x the water depth in rope length where you intend to anchor.  Somewhere I still have a boating book (  https://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloting-Seamanship-67th/dp/1588169618/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BV10EHNWX5F2P3EDDG2M  ) (large hardback intended for larger boats, but still very relevant for regulations and things like rigging and rope maintenance) and I used that to help me splice eyes into the ends of the rope and keep some small stainless shackles.  I could then keep a small managable rope and quckly and easily add sections to it without typing a knot. https://youtu.be/UracDq6QAz4

and don't forget a first aid kit.

Safe boating!  Enjoy!

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 10:28:53 AM »
dang, this boats gonna be over loaded before he even gets it in the water............
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 10:37:10 AM »
dang, this boats gonna be over loaded before he even gets it in the water............
Maybe...But well equipped

I like the parrot and wooden leg

I'd add a hook, just in case! ;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
Yar, I got me a marlin! Boat hook for sure, thanks Dawg. Wilbur, not a downer I find those stories sobering and I'm not afraid of name calling or telling people no. Good info there. Between the great blue herons, seagulls, bald eagles and ducks out there, I don't think I need to add a parrot to the scene, but I will add my early fathers day present of H Upmann Gran Reservas :smiley:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 12:13:40 PM »

Huh?

Thanks kyle. I had no clue.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »

Huh?

Thanks kyle. I had no clue.

Not too long ago you accused me of only reading the last chapter of the book and then letting out the ending.
Have a great long weekend, try to stay cool down there

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »
Tate, how did the boat do this past weekend? You did have nice weather at least Saturday and Sunday.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »
I'm waiting for HH6 to send me pics as I was more than occupied during my holiday weekend. Needless to say, all my safety gear and pre-flight checking could not have prepared me for the events that took place, but we did have a great, safe time. more to come in a new thread.

Also, I would add some common boating misconceptions or ignorance to this list: fiberglass v-hull, inboard/outboard great for lakes and cutting through chop. not so great for beaching to pickup passengers. Good thing I have a deep water buoy, but had to amazon prime a dinghy. more on that story later. Wife caught me enthusiastically piloting the boat, which has yet to be named.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2017, 08:40:52 PM »
well...........................

some time today with the story sweet heart..............!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2017, 09:08:34 PM »
https://keelguard.com/megaware-keelguard/

Anchor in 4 ft of water and make them wade out.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 02:04:50 AM »
Thought you were thinking of "Seachicken"  :tongue:
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »
I did not know you couldn't beach my boat to pickup passengers until my buddy sent me videos of morons tipping their boats over and crushing their keels on the rocks etc. So I bought an inflatable dinghy thinking I could row the 50yards from shore to the buoy. Yeah, no. 10-15 mph winds and heavy chop saw 10 minutes from shore to boat, no seat, so no leverage and all upper arms and shoulders. now to row back to shore to pickup the kids and wife. 15 min of exhausting egg beater rowing to finally reach the boat. 30 min fun run just to christen the boat and head back because we've got company coming over. I was too angry to take pics of what I returned to, but the outer chamber of my torture chariot had deflated. no holes, no idea how, just flat. (Bad air valve). Pulled it onboard, blew it up manually and made it back to shore. I subsequently found a nice, slightly drunk fella with 3 teeth to ferry us back and forth for $20, and then Cyndie got on craigslist and found us a dinghy. 9' Livingston with a minn kota and battery and oars for $200. (yep, pretty sure I know where the cash was going after the purchase based on his body fat percentage and front yard condition). it worked well except for the fact that the motor was only 16lbs of thrust and from the early 1800's, so I took a cabelas gift card and turned that into a 30lb unit with a larger weedless prop that probably added 5lbs. fully loaded w/ 3 adults and one child and snacks took 2 min from shore to boat. Much more better. I'll post some pics of the dinghy after I get home tonight.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2017, 01:21:05 PM »
Not too long ago you accused me of only reading the last chapter of the book and then letting out the ending.

Oh, LOL!!

Am I missing something? When we were going out every weekend, fishing, we always pulled up on the beach...just made sure it had sand and not rock, and we had one of those rubber keel protectors like Tex showed. Never had an issue. (2 different boats, a 19' and a 17')
Maybe all you have is rock in your area?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »
when the tide is low, it's not terrible. fairly sandy and plausible, but when it's in, from the sand line to the bulkhead is about 50 ft and the rise is only about 4 ft. my draft is 3 or so, and the outboard is level with the keel at full lift for trailering. with my inexperience, the last thing I needed was to run aground, damage it or worse, tip it. I've got the anchor, but Sophie's Nana who came along with us for the maiden voyage has had a stroke and has permanent tone in her leg, to where she can't bend it at the knee, i.e. can't swim. with more maneuvering experience I may at some point allow myself to bring it closer into shore, but at that time I was just to paranoid.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2017, 01:48:19 PM »

Oh, LOL!!

Am I missing something? When we were going out every weekend, fishing, we always pulled up on the beach...just made sure it had sand and not rock, and we had one of those rubber keel protectors like Tex showed. Never had an issue. (2 different boats, a 19' and a 17')
Maybe all you have is rock in your area?

I imagine you don't have much surf on the lake there either. my nightmare is nosing up to the sand and then a couple decent waves shove  the stern around and I've got no maneuverability because my prop's up in the air.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
Yeah you're right, I have ZERO experience with open water/shorelines. Guess I should've considered where you live.  :embarrassed:

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2017, 02:45:44 PM »

when the tide is low, it's not terrible. fairly sandy and plausible, but when it's in, from the sand line to the bulkhead is about 50 ft and the rise is only about 4 ft. my draft is 3 or so, and the outboard is level with the keel at full lift for trailering. with my inexperience, the last thing I needed was to run aground, damage it or worse, tip it. I've got the anchor, but Sophie's Nana who came along with us for the maiden voyage has had a stroke and has permanent tone in her leg, to where she can't bend it at the knee, i.e. can't swim. with more maneuvering experience I may at some point allow myself to bring it closer into shore, but at that time I was just to paranoid.

Welcome to the world of salt water boating....If you ever ground that sucker while on the beach it can be as much as a whole tide change before you can float it off. If they wanted you to be able to park that boat on the beach it would have come with built in wheels and tires. Good online tide charts...saltwatertides.com....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 03:06:21 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »
Thanks for the link Bob. I downloaded Polaris Navigation and that has limited map options even offline, but essentially only for one area at a time. although being able to place waypoints and  follow the "bread crumbs" as TRN pointed out is very nice. Sonar arrives Sat. additional bow and stern lines, additional 100ft of anchor line as well, and no, I'm not running out of room, lol. I modified an oar handle to make my "boat hook" for now. Low tides around Polnel Point are... interesting to say the least, but I'm going to take the family to an early dinner sunday from Utsulady to Coupeville wharf, only about 10 nautical miles, so should be a good starter trip and there's fuel at the wharf.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2017, 08:08:24 PM »

Along with tides, you should also have current tables. If you plan on dropping crab pots, watch the currents around sharp bends or points near the bends. The water can pull the buoy, line, and the pots will roll or drag, usually into deeper water and the post lost. You should be fine inside the bays, but stay away from deception pass area for sure until you figure out what the water is doing.
Another nice day trip would be to go up the Swinomish Cannel and back around the outside to the Deception Pass. Pick a nice calm day, and slack tide time for the trip through Deception pass.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2017, 11:33:38 AM »
Current tables, another good call there Bob. That sounds like a good trip idea too. right now I'm just trying to figure out my fuel efficiency. I have run from utsalady bay to penn cove twice now at medium throttle and played around a bit and still seem to have half of a 36 gal tank left. Merc 4.3L in/out, I'm just not sure how reliable the gauges are so this trip to the wharf will have me bringing a 5 gal jerry for backup before I fill up there. Any good methods of estimating efficiency w/ the hourmeter or is it just a guessing game until I figure out the gauge accuracy?

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2017, 12:47:25 PM »

Tate, if the fuel gauge is not almost spot on, get it fixed... I found gallon per real time hour  cruising along is around 3 to 4+ gal an hour on a nice day with 2 or 3 people in the boat. Mine is 19 ft cuddy with a Volvo 150 4 banger. Skiing and tubing burns more and running fast is not good on fuel either. Prop size and the way you roll will make it unique to you.
  Rather than packing a 5 gallon can along, fill the tank and leave the can at home. Always best to start a longer trip with a full tank and fill up before heading back home. Carrying around an extra can of gas in the boat is not good, and trying to fill while on the water is always a challenge.  Gas at the dock is a bit more expensive but it sure is an  easy way to fill it up. Even just running around close to home, when it needs fuel, trailer it to the station and fill it up or use a close by gas dock. Built in tanks are a whole nother game from the portable ones.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2017, 12:59:03 PM »
10-4 Bob. The only way I know how to determine the accuracy of a gauge is to run it dry, fill it, and see how many gallons it took divide miles etc. but that's not possible here so I'm lost really on how to vet the gauge.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »
Tate, you'll have to fill it up.
GPS if you have your trips to get your miles travelled.
Once you burn a sufficient amount, say half a tank, fill it again and run the numbers.

Like Bob said, it will vary based on passengers, speed, weight on board.
So it will take a good part of the summer to really get a good handle on the 'real world' mileage.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal