VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Vehicle Related Discussion

Hunting jeep: manual or auto tranny

(1/7) > >>

Bob Smith:
Ok, well I have always just used my 2500 GMC to get to where I want to hunt BUT...Between the brush and trees narrowing up the roads, wash outs and such I am looking into a 2 door jeep wrangler. That and the fact I just went through colon cancer surgery, so not sure I can run the ridges like I used to. Need some help from the group. Since I used to drive the one tracks with my truck which is an auto, and since most of the newer jeeps around here for sale are auto what if any problems would be with an auto tranny hunting jeep? Back in the day, I had a manual jeep, but back then that's what they were. Is the auto tranny that mopar is using in the jeep wrangler strong enough, I won't be rock climbing or mud running, just using it for a hunting rig in 4 high and maybe running to the store between hunting seasons. It will either be new or at least under 50,000 miles if used.

TexasRedNeck:
Bob. Congrats on beating the C. I'd say overheating from constant low crawls is the biggest issue. Fan noise from additional cooling give you away sooner. I'd stick with manual if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate:
WOW bob, didn't see that one coming............

where is shawn with his 4x4 expertise......

KensAuto:
 Sorry you had to go through that Mr. Bob. Glad it worked out.

I'm more of an auto guy now....it's just easier when putting around in rough country. You get something with 50k and you'll have plenty of miles left with frequent service.

Bob Smith:
Ken, I am kind of leaning toward the automatic if for nothing else, that seams to be what is more of out there. Like I said above however, manual is what we had back many years ago and they worked well. I can add another tranny cooler to help with the heat up of the fluid but by mid Oct. up here anyway it gets a bit chilly. Usually have to scrape the frost from the windows before leaving in the mornings and sometimes for the return trip to camp in the evenings. I might however just be hunting from the rig watching the ridges and cuts from the wide spots and landings. I have good glasses and a 300 mag. so at least I won't need to resupply for a new hunting style. There is a horse packer/ guide service down the river so if needed I can hire help to get one out if I can't get close enough to pack it out myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version