Hello Guest

Author Topic: Thank Goodness!  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Thank Goodness!
« on: August 28, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »
I feel so much better now!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thank Goodness!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:20:57 PM »
True.  It was really a battle of economies. Slavery came in later as a means of gaining political support.

Once the north put a tarrif on manufactured goods from England and England retaliated by putting a tariff on cotton. We were doomed to war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 07:21:56 PM »
And here I thought it was about some statues of King George and a couple of Vikings causing some internal angst in a bunch of insecure wigs living in their parents basements.....damnest things you learn here!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:44:13 PM »
Remember: to the victor goes the right to write history.  As far as the rest of the world is concerned the entire war was to free slaves.

The north was a industrial manufacturing economy who could not manufacturer goods at a competitive price compared to the established manufacturing capabilities of England.

The south was an agriculture economy, growing cotton and tobacco mainly.  Yes, many owned slaves and treated them horribly. We also need to remember that warring African tribes sold the vanquished males into slavery.  Blacks selling other black people into slavery.  And that's the way war had been conducted for centuries (not that makes it justifieable)

While the north was attempting to sell mainly to the citizens of the US, the south sold a great deal of its goods to Europe.

So just like the left tells you that the statues are the reason for the riots, there needed to be a cause celeb for the war so people in the north would support keeping the union whole (many of them at the time said to hell with the south, let them leave, but the north knew they needed the south's natural resources to survive).

Enter slavery as the "reason"

As for the hysteria over the confederate flag and statues.  Those that do not know their history are doomed to repeat it.  We should use these artifacts to remember the lessons we have learned, just as other nations and cultures have overcome their bad behavior and history.

We now stand as the bastion of liberty (believe it or not) in the world, despite our checkered past.  American's of all colors should be grateful and acknowledge our history.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:57:15 PM »
 :likebutton:
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:24:36 PM »
We need a head shaking emoli,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wait this works

:facepalm:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 07:57:44 AM »
And even though this one was for some of us it works too...

:knucklehead:
 :knucklehead:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 08:53:21 AM »
Great points TRN.

I think like most Americans I am not an historian and unfortunately until the last several years didn't really pay much attention to politics or history. I was at a High School soccer game last night and during the playing of the National Athem I noticed how many of the players and young kids were facing the flag but didn't have their hand on their heart and not really paying attention or respect.

Back to history. Not sure if any of you have read books or seen the movies by Dinesh D'Souza but I just finished his "Big Lie" book and it again was very eye opening of our history.
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Lie-Exposing-Roots-American/dp/1621573486/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504268924&sr=8-1&keywords=dinesh+d%27souza
In his books he lays out all of the history that hasn't been taught over the last 50 years.

I started with his "America, Imagine a World without America"
https://www.amazon.com/America-Imagine-World-without-Her/dp/162157203X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1504268924&sr=8-5&keywords=dinesh+d%27souza
This really lays out all of the things that are exceptional about the history of America and why it is so special. Also how much good we have done over the years that the Liberals and Progressives want to suppress.

Then I read this one about his persecution by the judges and prosecutors for a $20K donation to a political campaign. You compare what he went through and the absolute corruption in DC and it is amazing.
https://www.amazon.com/Stealing-America-Experience-Criminal-Democratic/dp/0062366718/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1504268924&sr=8-6&keywords=dinesh+d%27souza

Then I read and watched the movie "Hillary's America" It was also eye opening about the Democratic party as well as her long criminal career in politics. It really is unfathomable how anyone would want to place that woman in the White House if even 10% of this is true.
https://www.amazon.com/Hillarys-America-Secret-History-Democratic/dp/1621573478/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504268924&sr=8-4&keywords=dinesh+d%27souza

Then in the theme of Harvey I read "1 second after" about a small town in North Carolina and how they (or don't) survive a Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) attack. Reading TRN comments about gasoline and generator is spot on as far as his security and preparedness plan. It also hit home when the main character in the book has a type1 diabetic daughter. All the challenges of getting and keeping insulin and it running out. How to you home brew insulin!? You don't. What was impressionable was how fast it gets bad and how long it is predicted that help would come even in the minimal way of getting MRE's to people so they stop eating their pets and quit starving to death. Pretty grim.

It is a very good read and hopefully a scenario that we will never need to deal with.

https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-John-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765356864/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1504269859&sr=1-1&keywords=1+second+after+book

Can you tell I was on Vacation for a week! LOL  :beercheers:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »
I have several of his books.

I notice during the national anthem people removing their hats is getting worse. Bugs the crap out of me but you can't tell them all.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »
I really like Dinesh D'Souza for a lot of reasons....first he's an academic, so his research is really thorough. Nothing like facts to blow holes in liberal talking points. Second, he's an immigrant, so for the libs who like to portray lovers of America as being old white guys from Europe or rednecks its hard for them to put him in this category (not that it stops them from trying! :rolleyes:). Plus he is just so calm when he speaks. I love Anne Coulter and Michelle Malkin for their rhetoric some times but Dinesh is just so calm and collected.

(As an aside I LOVED how he dealt with the question of giving land back to Indians. And it can be used so many ways today- at a student lecture a native American woman said the US needed to give back the land to the Indians that they took. He asked her what tribe she was part of (and I forget specifically and will bastardize his response so I am sorry). She said Cherokee (or something)....so he asked her "you think the US Government should give back the land to the Cherokee that they took". She of course said "yes". So he said "well are you going to give it back to the Iroquois that your tribe took it from? And will the Iroquois give it back to the Mohawks who they took it from? And will the Mohawks give it back to....." you can see where he went with this. Of course she had no answer. It has similar "uses" today- just the other day we saw LA rename Christopher Columbus day as "Indigenous People" day. Everything referenced the "native" Latinos there. Oh....so they are ignoring the Gabrielinos who met the Spanish explorers to the area. Or the Chumash, or Tataviam people. Its all such hypocrisy! )

I also finished One Second After a few weeks ago and grim is right. I found it amazingly thorough- there was the stuff I have spent a lot of time thinking/planning about- food preps, no power, etc. But the societal aspects (large numbers of folks coming off psych meds etc.) that really opened my eyes to more things (yeah, I need a LOT more ammo! yeesh! ). 

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
I really like Dinesh D'Souza for a lot of reasons....first he's an academic, so his research is really thorough. Nothing like facts to blow holes in liberal talking points. Second, he's an immigrant, so for the libs who like to portray lovers of America as being old white guys from Europe or rednecks its hard for them to put him in this category (not that it stops them from trying! :rolleyes:). Plus he is just so calm when he speaks. I love Anne Coulter and Michelle Malkin for their rhetoric some times but Dinesh is just so calm and collected.

(As an aside I LOVED how he dealt with the question of giving land back to Indians. And it can be used so many ways today- at a student lecture a native American woman said the US needed to give back the land to the Indians that they took. He asked her what tribe she was part of (and I forget specifically and will bastardize his response so I am sorry). She said Cherokee (or something)....so he asked her "you think the US Government should give back the land to the Cherokee that they took". She of course said "yes". So he said "well are you going to give it back to the Iroquois that your tribe took it from? And will the Iroquois give it back to the Mohawks who they took it from? And will the Mohawks give it back to....." you can see where he went with this. Of course she had no answer. It has similar "uses" today- just the other day we saw LA rename Christopher Columbus day as "Indigenous People" day. Everything referenced the "native" Latinos there. Oh....so they are ignoring the Gabrielinos who met the Spanish explorers to the area. Or the Chumash, or Tataviam people. Its all such hypocrisy! )

I also finished One Second After a few weeks ago and grim is right. I found it amazingly thorough- there was the stuff I have spent a lot of time thinking/planning about- food preps, no power, etc. But the societal aspects (large numbers of folks coming off psych meds etc.) that really opened my eyes to more things (yeah, I need a LOT more ammo! yeesh! ).

Need more ammo!  CHECK

I have been looking at home brew insulin. It has been done to my amazement in 1922.

I need a centrifuge. Keeping my eye out for that.

Again, hope it doesn't come to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal