Hello Guest

Author Topic: new remington 870 mag fed shotgun  (Read 7067 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: new remington 870 mag fed shotgun
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2017, 12:39:39 AM »
I agree Charles, we called it mozambeek in training. 2 hits center mass (slows em down at least) then 1 to head.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2017, 08:14:26 AM »
Load out: (this may become lengthy)

Don your load out recommendations are solid advice I feel if confronting human beings. though It might get you killed on the Ranch.
First some background...I CC a .380 Kimber Micro when I need to conceal (not often) Other wise I open carry a full frame Kimber .45, or sometimes a PT99 if on the "ranch" both have failed me multiple times in "defense"  Hence the last few years I just keep the 870 very close.  My learning experiences...

I was repairing a broken pivot in tall grass. Out of the blue a angry wild boar just shows up charging. No clue what his issue was, rare they ever bother you. He was 20' away when I got my first glimpse..I heard him way before I could see him. I took 3 fast shots at a less than ideal angle with the 9mm. Then I ran for the pickup hood...and emptied the other 14 into him as i ran. I jumped on the hood, he died when he hit the bumper. I hit him all total 15 times. Too small of a gun...simple reality.

So I decided the shot gun was the answer because despite my always having a 45/70 lever in the pickup it still requires semi precise shot placement on larger animals, and smaller ones are harder to hit period.

I load it 00 00 then slug/00/the rest slugs. Here is the reason... most "critters" I have to shoot are smaller, maneuverable, and in brush/grass. I once had to use it on a badger that was determined to tear me apart. First shot of that 00 slowed him down a LOT but it took #2 to stop him. Bird shot or even #6 would have just pissed him off more...00 removed chunks. That second shot had it been a slug may have missed.

Last spring Kay and I were way out in the hills fixing a fence corner. I was carrying the Kimber .45  Kay had the 870. This steer grazing about 35' from us had been minding his own business for almost a hour..we had the fence almost repaired. Out of the blue he paws the ground and charges right at me. I draw the .45 and I see Kay go for the 870 10' from her. I got 4 shots into his chest area and he just lowered his head and charged harder. Then the 870 starts barking... she hit him two to the head with the 00 slowing him but he's still coming with half his head skin and one eye gone, and she flat gutted him with the remaining slugs to his chest/shoulder. Never was I so thankful for not only her practicing dumping lead fast on target, but also for the load out.

That steer died on his feet falling and knocked me over. My .45 was empty.... useless toy guns against large angry creatures.

I also know of a Milk cow gone mad who took 7 .45 to the head and chest and still mauled the pickup the farmer dove into for 2 min before dropping.

In my world... self defense is not from humans. They don't worry me too much. Sad day I have to draw any weapon on a human being... on animals it's just part of life at times, and isn't uncommon to need to stop them HARD.

Recently my sons and I were shooting paper at 40 yards with the hand guns. We practice long because in my experience it's valuable. We were  crowing about our groups on the multiple targets. My Kimber Micro is a tack driver at that range for a CC weapon..the PT99 is just flat as accurate all day. The kids Glock was holding well also.... Kay walks up with her Benelli and proceeds to hammer two targets with the 00 and then blow the wooden posts n half with slugs. Her way of saying supper was ready.

At supper the oldest son says "Dad, I fear Kay and her shotgun" LoL

LOL I like KAy's style!  :beercheers:

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2017, 09:21:51 AM »
Of the things I have witnessed, there was usually some narcotic involved. Hash, Heroin, THC, and even some guys speedin' along. You shoot someone like that and they will just keep motoring. THe narcotic masks the pain, the drug takes the shock of being hit off one's mind, and in many cases dead people just kept staying in the fight.
In my younger years I bounced and bartended a lot of places. Used to do armed security in a few Mexican bars in CO. The single most difficult person I ever removed from a bar was a scrawny 5' 5" or so 140 lb 14 yo kid on PCP (They had a restaurant side so any age could be in there the young ones had to stay on the restaurant side unless they were dancibg). Little bugger was darn near super human. He spreadeagled himself in the doorway and I literally couldn't get him out. I backed up about 6 feet or so and ran at him, my shoulder into the small of his back got him through, and into the wall about 4 feet past the doorway. Never saw anything like it. Crazy drug.

There's a cop training video of a guy coming out of a house with a gun on PCP.  I forget how many rounds the cops put in him but he just keeps coming. I want to say it's 25-30 rounds or so. Creepy stuff.
Let me correct myself. I said THC in my post, but I meant to say PCP.

Yea, PCP shuts off the part of the brain which senses you're dead...

And by the way, some good guys downrange were aiming for the neck, to sever or damage the main wiring bundle/cable
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2017, 09:51:10 AM »
TRN....funny little fact. I have been shopping/shooting 10mm's now for a few months.

I was ready to plunk down some $$$ on a Coonan 1911 in 10mm. My local shop has one with less than 100rds through it. Then I shot it....not impressed. When I loaded up some DT full power 185 grain...even less impressed. I then had some LEO buddies shoot it...they also weren't impressed. AT 40 yards best anyone could get was a 10" group. In comparison to my Kimber in .45...sad

So I deliberated... It's not likely fair to compare a full on gun smith caressed Kimber and a box stock Coonan, maybe...but the $$$ they get for those...add more time/$$ to improve it's accuracy (if you can).... and you have one seriously overpriced 1911.

The I shot a G20 in 10mm. Ok now we are talking... impressed in comparison. It can shoot paper almost on par with the Kimber. Accuracy didn't change between wimpy counter loads and the DT loads.........it was also "smoother" and with more capacity whats not to like?  It's ugly, it's chintzy its a Glock. That said as tools go, it seems to be the weapon of choice for 10mm.

So now I have come to the point...if I buy a 10mm for ranch use....it will be a G20. Unless someone trades in a Kimber in 10mm and it somehow shoots far better than that Coonan...Glock it will be.

The question remains.... why not a .500 wheel gun? Less capacity....slower to fire no question. But at 500+ grain sizing loads...the .500 mag can be loaded much like a shotgun slug in so far as energy/impact.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »
Tex,
 You are definitely still fired

You cost me over a grand just now.

I have to blame you for this:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »
Hhahaaha. Dangit Tex.

....1911 owners unite!! (aimed at Charles :) )
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2017, 12:21:19 AM »
Norm, the stuff I load is waaay beyond the full power dt stuff and is not recommended for the stock barrel due to the less supported bottom of the chamber.  I also recommend the 23lb wolff recoil spring.

Neat thing about the G20 is a barrel and mag change and its a G21.  So if you have a G21 and buy a KKM barrel and a 10mm mag, you have 2 in 1.

I still like 14 rounds and fast reloads but a 500 wheelie is a beast.

Ken, like i've said before.  I have a 1911 to show my friends and a glock to show my enemies....

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

OldKooT

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 06:47:19 AM »
 Still recovering from my shoulder injury....so at some point when it stops being sore after a few mags of anything above a .22 I intend to set up a Glock as you described. If it turns out I don't like it long term, I am sure one of my boys will buy it LoL

ATM I am screwing together a 24" barrel AR for sniping prairie dogs at about 300-400 yards. This must have been a good breeding year for them, time to trim the population back a bit. They are making a mess out of the river banks on one of our properties.

I scored a new Anderson upper complete with a NB BCG for $325 (he finally caved in Nate LoL) So assuming I can find some inexpensive glass that gets the job done, and is befitting a truck gun type of life (read it will get banged around a little) I should be under my monthly gun budget yet LoL

Today's project between "work moments" is to find where I hid a lower I had already assembled with a nice trigger and A1 stock...assuming I can find that, I should be able to go run the barrel in this weekend. Then if it all works as planned I can disassemble and have it coated this next week and call it done tell I find the glass I want. Best laid plans and all that.....Lol

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
Still recovering from my shoulder injury....so at some point when it stops being sore after a few mags of anything above a .22 I intend to set up a Glock as you described. If it turns out I don't like it long term, I am sure one of my boys will buy it LoL

ATM I am screwing together a 24" barrel AR for sniping prairie dogs at about 300-400 yards. This must have been a good breeding year for them, time to trim the population back a bit. They are making a mess out of the river banks on one of our properties.

I scored a new Anderson upper complete with a NB BCG for $325 (he finally caved in Nate LoL) So assuming I can find some inexpensive glass that gets the job done, and is befitting a truck gun type of life (read it will get banged around a little) I should be under my monthly gun budget yet LoL

Today's project between "work moments" is to find where I hid a lower I had already assembled with a nice trigger and A1 stock...assuming I can find that, I should be able to go run the barrel in this weekend. Then if it all works as planned I can disassemble and have it coated this next week and call it done tell I find the glass I want. Best laid plans and all that.....Lol

I love my Vortex Norm!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »
Just had a guy last night offer to trade me a shotgun for a couple bumpers for his truck.  I'm not much of a shotgun guy so figured I would ask here what type of value you guys think it has.

Mossberg Maverick 88,. Says he had just shy of $800 invested.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2017, 10:08:28 AM »
$800 in a mossberg? :huh:

Mossberg maverick is a $200 gun, then whatever you think the add ons are worth.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:09:12 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »
Just because someone spent a bunch of money on something, doesn't mean that something is worth "X"......look at Hillary for President for a great comparison for that axiom!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2017, 01:27:56 PM »
Those better be some high dollar lights and laser (but don't appear to be so)...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/729308028

Just a quick search shows you could easily get something similar for right at 300 with shipping and transfer fees.

Maybe a partial trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »
$250-$300, nothing more

Offline SGTJOHN88

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
Does anyone know a release on this 870 DM?

OldKooT

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2017, 11:34:10 PM »
John............. gun shop buddy of mine said some of his suppliers are claiming beginning of the year. Take that with a grain of salt as sales are slower so they will do anything to get orders I have noticed.

Offline SGTJOHN88

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »
OldKoot Thanks man. There was such a big hype for these and then it went silent. I just want to get my hands on one to see what the hype is all about. We have been making mag fed 12 gauges for years..curious to see how these are done.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »
OldKoot Thanks man. There was such a big hype for these and then it went silent. I just want to get my hands on one to see what the hype is all about. We have been making mag fed 12 gauges for years..curious to see how these are done.
I think it's marketing, nothing more

I mean who in the gun world doesn't know Remington?

You guys, Black Ace Tactical are only known in the inner circles. Guys like us, and ex mil guys who tend to stay close to the craft. Places like this little forum will serve to get the word out there, but frankly, Remington is an American ICON so they catch a cold and conservative America gets sniffles...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »
 Something to add into the Glock Norm, but I bet you know.

You want a tuff, through around bang it up high capacity truck gun. The glock will fit that. Sure a 500 is cool, but when you have 3x the shots, that better!

Plus it will shoot very good out of the box. Maybe add night sights like I do on mine.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »
JR.... I haven't found many Glock's I enjoy shooting. But I am working on adding a Model 20 10mm to the collection of stuff I bounce around in my pickup. A Local has one with a .40 cal conversion that goes with it, so if we can see eye to eye on price, I will purchase it. I don't much like Tupperware guns but I will try.... :laugh:

John... those 870's will be a huge deal to some. But then again I hear a lotta guys "talking" and oddly I wonder if Remington may have a struggle dealing with people not liking change so much. Or people like me that love the present 870, but am sick and tired of oiling it every time I look at it. REMRUST is something Remington should market.

Don.... believe it or not there is one of John's creations sitting on a rack at the gun shop. It is owned by a school teacher I believe.

Now.... I will share why I may starve the children and buy one at some point.  Nebraska has a odd law about shotguns in vehicles. I can drive around all day with a loaded AR or AK or any rifle they could care less. A loaded handgun on the dash? That's fine also.... a loaded shotgun is cause for a swat team like response. A loaded shotgun is against the law here....and they enforce it.

One of Johns tools mounted in my dash rack obviously NOT tube fed would make relaxing officers a lot easier than de-racking and proving the shot gun is empty. I would not be surprised at all if that feature alone would sell a lot of shotguns in this part of the country.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
Yea, Norm...You'd become a training aid pdq with one of these DT's in plain sight.

Comes to mind: "Don't be that guy!"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal