Hello Guest

Author Topic: McCoys  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
McCoys
« on: December 15, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »
This company is a Texas based lumber company that is family owned. I do as much business with them as i can. They are closed on Sundays. Their posted hours say “closed Sundays to build family values”. They are the largest financial contributors to PAWS animal shelter. They are also the largest privately owned business financial contributor to Texas State University.
A few years ago i was at HomeDepot. The store manager and i were talking. He wanted to bid some projects we had. The lumber drops were about $70,000. I said no. He asked why and i told him i use McCoys. He pushed to get me a quote and continued to praise his store. I said ok on one condition. The condition was to deliver me one 2X4 today and while delivering the stud i would give him the materials lists for the three homes. He could not do it. He tried to get me to take the lumber with me. I reminded him that was not the point. They do not have anything in place to do anything that small that quickly. I informed him that McCoys could and has in the past and that is the kind of service i need. This conversation was following a nightmare situation where they had failed to bring a load of windows and they were a month late. One Friday the load was coming out but their drivers had just hit 40 hours so they turned around mid way and headed back to the store with my load.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:24:39 AM by Jared Herzog »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: McCoys
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »
I prefer to spend local, however it’s not always possible. That’s just business, if I can spend local I will as those dollars stay local. It’s kinda like state lotteries, you spend that money (to buy a ticket) and it gets consolidated to the government & then a couple winners. You take that same money and buy a locally made product or service & how many times does that money change hands with people in your own community? You do that enough the community changes for the better. Goes back to a saying my old man used to tell me which is if your neighbor is hurting financially this month how many months until you are in the same boat?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
been to mcCoys a couple times, not a bad place.

heck, before the 2 big box home improvement stores moved into Lawton, ok. there was only a McCoys and 1 other small lumber supply store.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

OldKooT

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »
Ahhhhhhh Lawton..... memories.

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
Spending local is very important to me. Since i am self employed and the people in my community hire me i keep my money local as much as possible.

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
McCoys
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »
Years ago we were at a bank function with McCoys. The McCoy family owned Balcones Bank where i was getting construction loans. There was a little old man there who I knew. He was surrounded by lawyers in thousand dollar suits. He knew every one on the bank board of directors. He pulled up in an old ranch truck wearing ranching clothes. You would have thought he did not have anything. He would have given you the shirt off his back and had been known to help many people without them even knowing it was him. He was not flashy or proud. That man was Emmit McCoy. The founder of McCoys. Brian McCoy is the CEO now and does the same things for the community and people in need.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:13:21 PM by Jared Herzog »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 06:38:41 PM »
Got a few there myself

Previous life, after flying the traffic pattern for a few hours while listening to this divine female voice, later that night my crew dogs drug me out for a night on the town. That night ended up in some sleazy strip joint. The dancer came to sit down with us, and immediately I recognized the voice...yea...She figured out who I was and went from stripper to, Please sir, do not tell anyone, you know what will happen to me. I did the right thing...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »
LoL Don.... Long story, but Kay knows Lawton very well. 

I also buy local as much as possible. Especially if I can do it and no one notices I am in town.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »
I’ve started buying from McCoy’s more and more. Better quality stuff. People who know a 2x4 from a hole in the ground and decent prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »

Got a few there myself

Previous life, after flying the traffic pattern for a few hours while listening to this divine female voice, later that night my crew dogs drug me out for a night on the town. That night ended up in some sleazy strip joint. The dancer came to sit down with us, and immediately I recognized the voice...yea...She figured out who I was and went from stripper to, Please sir, do not tell anyone, you know what will happen to me. I did the right thing...

I actually was stationed there for about 10 years, and i still have a couple of really close friends that sitll live there.

funny story for you don, those buildings that you are talking about were still standing the last time i was there (2014), but they had been vacant since 1998 or 1999.  that is when the mayor (cecil powell) kicked all of those establishment out of the city limits.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »
Neither Lowes of Home Depot will let me drive my truck right up to the lumber stack to load either. Those stores are geared towards a guy needing 10 studs or one bag of concrete while his wife buys tulips and sniffs the wall paper for off gassing. It takes forever to find someone can drive a forklift also. I could walk right in to my McCoys store and walk out with anything i need without paying. Just a promise to return later to pay and my word and all is good.

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 12:09:25 PM »
Nate..... the mayor may have kicked out the openly operating"clubs" But plenty of underground "clubs" are still running as of a few months ago.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 12:42:43 PM »
Neither Lowes of Home Depot will let me drive my truck right up to the lumber stack to load either. Those stores are geared towards a guy needing 10 studs or one bag of concrete while his wife buys tulips and sniffs the wall paper for off gassing. It takes forever to find someone can drive a forklift also. I could walk right in to my McCoys store and walk out with anything i need without paying. Just a promise to return later to pay and my word and all is good.

cant beat small town trust.

Nate..... the mayor may have kicked out the openly operating"clubs" But plenty of underground "clubs" are still running as of a few months ago.

truth right there

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal